Scottish Politics Thread

Tax 'hike' review for military personnel

"The Scottish government said it had offered to look at ways to address the tax differential of military personnel." Offering to look is not the same as actually looking! The claim is that there was no response to their offer to look.
Sadly it's not just mil dipping out I now work for the mod as a civvie and am being taxed more than my team mates in England

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
I’ve just ran my salary through the tax calculator for next year. I’m lucky* enough to earn well above the higher rate tax threshold so I’m probably paying £1k more tax than my English colleagues.
Much talk in the office about just upping our pension contributions (must look into that).

*Lucky, as in, used my own leave for 5 years to study, while still working. My choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve just ran my salary through the tax calculator for next year. I’m lucky* enough to earn well above the higher rate tax threshold so I’m probably paying £1k more tax than my English colleagues.
Much talk in the office about just upping our pension contributions (must look into that).

*Lucky, as in, used my own leave for 5 years to study, while still working. My choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For a small fee I will let up use my address to enable you to work in the People's Republic but the Tax man think you live in the peace loving free state of England. This I hope will take you off the radar and drop your tax.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Definitely unease, to say the least, over failure to commit to leaving Commom fishing as soon as possible.

It does show that back when we had the independence referendum and the question was asked, what could an iScotland offer the EU and fishing was mentioned, that EU does value fishing in Scottish waters.

Definitely unease, to say the least, over failure to commit to leaving Commom fishing as soon as possible.

It does show that back when we had the independence referendum and the question was asked, what could an iScotland offer the EU and fishing was mentioned, that EU does value fishing in Scottish waters.
...and that Westminster only sees it as valuable bargaining chip.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
What's the alternative?
Hard Brexit.

I believe the rhetoric for a while was "no deal is better than a bad deal. "

Still in Common fishery policy but no say in the negotiations? Does not sound very good to the fishing industry.

It is the hypocrisy that annoys me, first they whinge that we haven’t got back our fishing grounds when all the time the cult wanted to stay in the EU and therefore the CFP.

The 45, complaining about the very things they were planning to do themselves!

It is the hypocrisy that annoys me, first they whinge that we haven’t got back our fishing grounds when all the time the cult wanted to stay in the EU and therefore the CFP.

The 45, complaining about the very things they were planning to do themselves!
But we’re leaving the EU and the CFP, aren’t we? So, where’s the benefit that was promised?
Brexiteers keep bleating that remainders won’t get over it and accept we’re leaving, but now all I hear when it is pointed out that we are not getting the benefits we were promised is “ah, but, you voted against leaving”.

I’m over it. Now is the time for the British Government to deliver, and I’m not seeing it,

But we’re leaving the EU and the CFP, aren’t we? So, where’s the benefit that was promised?
Brexiteers keep bleating that remainders won’t get over it and accept we’re leaving, but now all I hear when it is pointed out that we are not getting the benefits we were promised is “ah, but, you voted against leaving”.

I’m over it. Now is the time for the British Government to deliver, and I’m not seeing it,
That may be so ( I think that there may be some negotiations on a fishing deal of some sort in order that the UK gets a trade deal in other areas) but my point was that it is completely hypocritical (as usual) for the SNP to complain about when their policy was to remain in the EU/CFP.

YES2 the answer
Are you still complete ********* ? the question

That may be so ( I think that there may be some negotiations on a fishing deal of some sort in order that the UK gets a trade deal in other areas) but my point was that it is completely hypocritical (as usual) for the SNP to complain about when their policy was to remain in the EU/CFP.

YES2 the answer
Are you still complete ********* ? the question
Theresa May’s policy was to remain in the EU. We are leaving. Can we deal with where we are now, or do we want to keep fighting the referendum?

If we want to keep re-hashing history, we could always go back to the Independence referendum and re-visit the question of whether on not the EU would have kept an independent Scotland out of EU membership if it meant losing access to the fisheries. But, of course, it’s no more relevant now than the various parties policies during the Brexit referendum.

Theresa May’s policy was to remain in the EU. We are leaving. Can we deal with where we are now, or do we want to keep fighting the referendum?

If we want to keep re-hashing history, we could always go back to the Independence referendum and re-visit the question of whether on not the EU would have kept an independent Scotland out of EU membership if it meant losing access to the fisheries. But, of course, it’s no more relevant now than the various parties policies during the Brexit referendum.
I don’t understand your point, yes we are leaving and it is a long and painful process but it is happening. Are you now saying that the cult do not want to stay in the EU or can we at least agree that this is still the SNP’s policy and that therefore complaining about the fishing is simply grief wh***ing?

I don’t understand your point, yes we are leaving and it is a long and painful process but it is happening. Are you now saying that the cult do not want to stay in the EU or can we at least agree that this is still the SNP’s policy and that therefore complaining about the fishing is simply grief wh***ing?
My point is very simple, and I thought that I had made it clearly enough, but let me try again.
The referendum is over. The policies that Theresa May, Nicola Sturgeon, the Scottish Conservative Party, the SNP, and anyone else had during the referendum are of historical interest.
Yes, the Scottish Conservatives and the SNP campaigned to remain within the EU.
Now, the focus of these parties is to get deal their electorates were promised. Both the SNP and the Scottish Conservatives are complaining that, despite promises to the electorate of the NE to the contrary, the UK will remain in the CFP but without any influence on CFP policies. A significant worsening of the situation than that had we remained in the EU.
If you believe the SNP and Scottish Conservatives to be hypocritical in this stance, perhaps you could explain what stance you think they ought to take. Perhaps you think they should be applauding a deal that removes both control AND influence, and which is contrary to the promises that were made by the UK Government?

My point is very simple, and I thought that I had made it clearly enough, but let me try again.
The referendum is over. The policies that Theresa May, Nicola Sturgeon, the Scottish Conservative Party, the SNP, and anyone else had during the referendum are of historical interest.
Yes, the Scottish Conservatives and the SNP campaigned to remain within the EU.
Now, the focus of these parties is to get deal their electorates were promised. Both the SNP and the Scottish Conservatives are complaining that, despite promises to the electorate of the NE to the contrary, the UK will remain in the CFP but without any influence on CFP policies. A significant worsening of the situation than that had we remained in the EU.
If you believe the SNP and Scottish Conservatives to be hypocritical in this stance, perhaps you could explain what stance you think they ought to take. Perhaps you think they should be applauding a deal that removes both control AND influence, and which is contrary to the promises that were made by the UK Government?
Very clever, I love the way you conflate the SNP and SCAU policies.

1. The Conservatives are disappointed because we haven’t claimed back our fishing grounds and kept Johnnie foreigner out straight away.

2. The SNP are annoyed because they want to stay in the EU, and the CFP and be a 28th of those deciding the policy of giving up our fishing rights.

PS, you are Mrs Murrell and I claim the 5 groats (or whatever pretendy currency you are inventing today)

Very clever, I love the way you conflate the SNP and SCAU policies.

1. The Conservatives are disappointed because we haven’t claimed back our fishing grounds and kept Johnnie foreigner out straight away.

2. The SNP are annoyed because they want to stay in the EU, and the CFP and be a 28th of those deciding the policy of giving up our fishing rights.

PS, you are Mrs Murrell and I claim the 5 groats (or whatever pretendy currency you are inventing today)
Are you saying that Scottish Conservative policy during the Brexit referendum was different to that of the SNP? Did they not wish, and campaign to remain in the EU, also meaning remain in the CFP? Is it not the case that Scottish Conservatives are also complaining, loudly, about the current deal?

Yeah, sorry to pour some reality on your Nat-bashing frenzy.

Edited to add:
Ruth Davidson: Leave campaign flunked final chance to spell out Brexit benefits
"....as she urged Scots to vote Remain in today’s referendum. "

Ruth Davidson warns PM to protect fishing in final Brexit deal after transition denounced as 'betrayal'
"Ruth Davidson has warned Theresa May her Scottish MPs will oppose a final Brexit deal that fails to bring back control of Britain’s waters as the Tories were accused of betraying the fishing industry in the transition agreement."

Are you saying that Scottish Conservative policy during the Brexit referendum was different to that of the SNP? Did they not wish, and campaign to remain in the EU, also meaning remain in the CFP? Is it not the case that Scottish Conservatives are also complaining, loudly, about the current deal?

Yeah, sorry to pour some reality on your Nat-bashing frenzy.

Edited to add:
Ruth Davidson: Leave campaign flunked final chance to spell out Brexit benefits
"....as she urged Scots to vote Remain in today’s referendum. "

Ruth Davidson warns PM to protect fishing in final Brexit deal after transition denounced as 'betrayal'
"Ruth Davidson has warned Theresa May her Scottish MPs will oppose a final Brexit deal that fails to bring back control of Britain’s waters as the Tories were accused of betraying the fishing industry in the transition agreement."
Oh dear,

Let’s go back to my original point instead of trying to muddy the waters:

The SNP wanted to stay in the EU/CFP .........Yes

Why then are they complaining that we are staying in it during transition?

Simple question that does not involve anybody else?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Oh dear,

Let’s go back to my original point instead of trying to muddy the waters:

The SNP wanted to stay in the EU/CFP .........Yes

Why then are they complaining that we are staying in it during transition?

Simple question that does not involve anybody else?
Because they need something to complain and whine about, whether they're for or against it. If for, they'll complain that it's not exactly what they asked for, if against, they'll complain that they haven't got it!

I saw this on the BBC news website this morning:
Politicians speak out over Twitter abuse

It seems that amnesty International have decided that Twitter has become toxic for women. Whilst there are no doubt some genuinely extreme views expressed, what worries me is that some fairly mild and innocuous remarks are being conflated with “isms” in order to impose some sort of censorship? This from Kezia Dugdale;
“But she said female politicians were also subjected to "daft wee lassie complex" - suggestions that they don't know what they're talking about because they are too young and too female to really understand what is going on.”
Daft wee lassie, too young and too female, really? Or just a very tame criticism of a politician whose policies someone clearly dislikes and with whom they disagree. For me if that remark bothers you as a politician then you really are in the wrong line of work. I’ve heard stronger on children’s TV.

Would giving the fishermen what they promised them be an alternative? No, that would be ridiculous....
What were they "promised" and by whom?
It would also help if you could indicate whether or not you believe a big red bus promised to spend every penny of what we currently pay the EU on the NHS, and if that promise should be binding on anyone who was on that bus.