Scottish Islands in July

Discussion in 'Travel' started by flynavy, May 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Me the wife and dog are going upto the scottish islands in July, places like Skye, Mull, Lewis and Harris etc, has anyone on here done this kind of trip and can reccommend good places for stopping and sightseeing.
    We are going to be camping with a tent and would like to know if anyone has experience of the ferries and can give us any good solid advice or discounts etc.

2. Mull is awesome mate. You can get the ferry from Oban and Tobermory has numerous awesome B&B's, hotels, pubs etc. I would absolutely recommend heading out to Fionnphort (sp???) and getting a boat trip out to Staffa. Absolutely amazing; the caves on Staffa are just oustanding. Also Iona is well worth a look, I am not hugely religious but I found it pretty thought-provoking.

3. Apart from a quck trip to Arran the only island that I have been to is Skye, but what an Island. Have stayed at the campsites at Glenbrittle and Sligachan. Glenbrittle is remote but a peaceful spot right on the edge of Loch Brittle. Great if you have a kayak but also a great starting place for some fantastic walks.

Sligachan campsite is not as quiet. Just off the main road to Portree (A87) in a bit of a depression so not as noisey as it could be. A good base to visit more of the island and at night you can wander over the road to the Sligachan hotel for food and one of the local ales.

I prefer May or September (ish) for my visits as there are fewer of the two things I like to avoid - Tourists and the dreaded Midge.

I'm sure somebody will be along soon with info on the other islands but I am sure you will enjoy Skye, I always do.

Q.

4. Thanks for the info, have been to Skye a few times, in fact before i joined the Navy my parents put me on an outward bound holiday where we canoed and walked all across Scotland and our final destination was Skye, so i really like this part of Scotland. This time round i want to see the islands and take some great photos.

5. Island Hopping

I can't help too much with the logistics, but I went there once on a diving trip out of Oban, up as far as Skye and it is a stunning place.

We stopped at Tobermory, Mallaig, Kyle of Lochalsh and Skye.

One of the best trips ever, the night skies are unbelievable, pure air, never seen so many stars......

Are you hoping to get a car on the ferry, or hiking, the buses etc aren't too frequent around the islands, and shops are few and far between.

As a taste it might be better to use Oban as a base and take a ferry somewhere different as a foot passenger, every day, the ferries sometimes can only take so many cars, we were nearly stranded on Cumbrae for a night, only just got on the last ferry after a long wait.

6. Go see the Callanish Standing Stones on Lewis - gorgeous. Also be aware that the midgies are supposedly 800 times worse this year than any on record -something to do with the snow insulating the larvae before the frost could do it's job...

7. and another thing - if you pass through Glenelg (mainland by the little car ferry to Skye) then go to the Inn there. Food and wine is amazing.

8. Worth going to the Outer Hebs. Beautiful, especially The Uists, Lewis, Harris and Benbecula (airport area is a bit grotty though).

Can recommend the seafood in Uist and also Langass Lodge - http://www.langasslodge.co.uk/ - a bit expensive but beautiful. Campsite at Uig on Lewis is gorgeous.

Midges on Skye are horrible.

GBTD

9. That time of year beware of killer mosquitos, go in April or May instead

10. Send me a PM, will send you my husband's 200 page guide as a PDF file by e-mail

11. Cool Camping Scotland is good as is the Rough Guide to Scotland.

Check out Countryfile on 15 May 11 on iPlayer - all about the Outer Hebs.

If you want my full itinerary, PM me.

GBTD

12. Camping...July..are you mad? have you never heard of midges?

Seriously though, fantastic area. The constant wind should keep the midges down (or at least make them hide in your tent) ;-)

North & South Uist...fantastic. I've always found Calmac ferries to be pretty good as regards scheduling and helpfulness, and only very rarely delayed or cancelled due to the weather. Get an 'Island Hopper' ticket and you can pretty much scoot from island to island & back. Official Caledonian MacBrayne Hebridean & Clyde Ferries site

As Goatbag said, Langass Lodge food is excellent, but don't miss the Orasay at Lochcarnan on South Uist. Long time since I've eaten there, but the food was top notch. Outer Hebrides Accommodation, Outer Hebrides Holidays and Scottish Island Holidays

Make sure your tent is very waterproof and wind (gale) resistant....and did I mention the midges

• Like Like x 1
  13. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Viking country - Orkney.:viking:

• Like Like x 1
  14. One word - Midges!

15. Mull is a good choice, plenty on the island (distillery, castles, the "last" Munroe, good food and drink, wildlife), some good short boat trips (Iona and Staffa). Coll and Tiree are close too but I think you still need to get a ferry from Oban for there. Enjoy!