Scottish Independence question

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Scotsman, Oct 20, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right don't know if this is the right place for this but if Scotland gets independence (god forbid) does the BRITISH Army wipe out the Royal Regiment of Scotland and the Scots Guards taking however many thousand out of the Army 2020 ?

2. Thread already merged from loads of independence threads.

3. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

What's one more when there are already two hundred and forty eight running?

Scotsman; No-one knows.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Didn't know what to search for really so I thought it'd be quicker to ask and what do you know it was.

5. No idea mate. Its definately something that would pose a fair few issues for the MoD in the event of Independence. Not forgeting Faslane and the nuclear arsenal

6. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

What's all this about Scotland and independence?

• Like Like x 3
  7. images.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  8. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Far too many variables mate.

The SNP defence policy isn't exactly detailed, the vote hasn't even happened yet, the people concerned signed up to join the British Army on agreed Ts & Cs, UK Government stance unknown, would the blokes transfer willingly?

......and so on.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Don't tell me Mel Gibson is making ANOTHER damn Scots film :p

• Like Like x 2
  10. True man don't think issues is right they'll find a place for the nukes and the however many thousand makes it easier finding less people to cut off. Had a wee disucssion with my dad and his friend today, his friend being a snp supporter, he raised the issue about the oil so I asked how do you protect it without a Navy, Army or air force, his reply being oh we'll just join NATO but doesn't that violate there policy on nuclear weapons? The supporters of the snp are over patriotic idiots.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dunno mate. whats Your newspapers opinion of all this?

• Like Like x 1
  12. I don't think so. An independent Scotland would be much like an independent Ireland. Scots could join the UK armed forces, as Irish can.

The submarines and mine sweepers would move to Devonport together with the ammunition depots. 10,000 jocks on the dole but why worry, there wont be any dole in an independent Scotland. They'd need a small, offshore patrol force for the fishing grounds and oil fields, and a huge, imperial barge for wee Eck if he fancied a trip to Millport.

The air force budget would be spent on acquiring a knackered, second hand Ryanair 737, painting it tartan and installing a walk in deep fat fryer and a temperature controlled Mars bar store.

Regarding joining NATO, I don't think so. The Americans are already less than pleased about shouldering the defence budget for much of Europe. They're not going to welcome a country whose armed forces consist of a tartan business jet, some converted cabin cruisers and this:-

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  13. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

You mean something like the already existing Scottish Fisheries Protection Agency?

14. I'm sure the jocks would argue they're already in NATO, they'd have as good a claim as England as a former part of a signatory nation. I think I recall "Goldilocks" Salmond* stating, at independence, serving sweaties would be given the option of to choose which national armed forces they continue with. Dunno where that leaves the regiments, suppose it depends on whether they retain Lizzie as head of state to a degree.

* well he does like he's eaten all the porridge of late.

15. My biggest worry is if the jocks gets independence will we manage to rebuild Hadrians Wall high enough...