Scottish elections & spoilt ballot papers

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Infury8r, May 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. .
    There were thousands of votes "spoilt" during the two simultaneous Scottish elections.

"The cause of the high number of spoilt ballot papers was thought to be due to the fact that the Scottish parliament elections required voters to put an X in the box, while local council elections, held under a new system called single transferable vote required voters to rank their preferences by 1, 2, 3 etc in the boxes."

Is this an indictment of the complexity of the system, or (lack of) intelligence of some of the electorate?

If some people cannot understand relatively simple instructions, why presume they are able to understand political policies. And therefore, should they be entitled to vote?

2. As I have said elsewhere, my nose does smell a 'spin doctor's t*rd'. I am thinking - Florida; Any Banana Republic; Birmingham - what a shambles the spiv Bliar has reduced this once great country to !
    The man is repellent little shite!

3. All the gremlins in this kind of voting have been well demonstrated in, and sorted out by, past elections in Northern Ireland, and prior to that in RoI, where we got the idea from, primarily.

There is absolutely no excuse whatsoever for a balls-up of this type and magnitude.

The electorate is not stupid, by and large; and this admin. fiasco merely means that a very large number of perfectly intelligently-cast votes have been ruined and lost.

Get a grip, Returning Officers! You are well-paid to have grip.

4. My automatic reaction is to assume vote rigging I'm afraid.
    I'd be more surprised to find it a genuine feck up than if it is discovered that its a deliberate attempt to influence the outcome of the elections.
    Paranoid and unjust? maybe but I'm still fairly sure

5. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

All arrsee

Spoilt ballot papers below the national average says the news.
    Apparantly same system as used in Wales with no great drama.
    Can these people not follow simple instructions?

6. As a postscript, Jack McConnell is apparently going to refuse to resign as First Minister. A source close to him has been quoted in the Sunday Herald as saying that the SNP "lack moral authority" to form an executive as they only won by the "narrowest possible margin" and that "an anti-independance majority existed in the parliament".

In other words, even though they won more seats than any other party they shouldn't form a government as the combined votes of all the other parties outweigh theirs.

Well, he is TBs protege, after all. A healthy contempt for the traditions of democracy pretty much go with the territory.

Oh, and he's refused to call Alex Salmond to congratulate him. "It's ma' ba' and you're no' playin' wi' it", anyone?

7. something to do with the fact that the SNP CAN'T form a majority perhaps?

8. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Nor can any single party. And certainly not the Liberals with their derisory seat count.

Your point? Labour, with less seats, should form the administration?

That would be morally repugnant.

9. I don't agree

10. Neither could Labour in the last one. That's why your lot got a look in as junior partner in a coalition government. Jack got the top job because Labour had the single largest share.

Care to explain why Alex shouldn't be entitled to at least try similar?

Also I'm mystified that you, as someone who recently stood for election, think the privilege of forming an executive should go to the party that came second. That violates every tenet of British democracy.

11. This can happen just as easily in Westminster as it has here - it is all part of politics. It might happen after the next General Election, Labour gets the most votes but not an overall majority, they won't offer the Lib Dems PR and so the Tories put together a rainbow coalition - would it still be against British politics then?

12. Then we will have to disagree and leave it at that. IMO it won't happen in Scotland, there will be a second election

13. There are a number of options open.

The fact, as has happened, the party that comes out with the highest number of seats has first chance to form the government - this is why Labour haven't done anything yet.

Now the LDs have ruled out a coalition with either the SNP or Labour (quite clearly feeling the sting of 8 years in government) chances are the SNP will form a minority government with some backing from the Greens.

Interesting times ahead, they'll have a fight to get Salmond in as FM (but then comes the moral question, he is the leader of the biggest party, even if you hate him, so surely he should get the chance, democratically speaking) and any attempt to get a Referendum Bill passed will be squashed. Policies like Local Income Tax, Nuclear Power etc decisions will get through on LD votes, but the SNP have a fight on their hands.

I can't see another election happening yet, maybe if the SNP government completely fails to get anything through or loses too many confidence votes one may have to be called to sort the mess out.

14. 1 I live in Scotland and used these papers
    2 I am nigh on senile
    3 Staff at Polling Centre explained what was needed
    4 I voted with no trouble.

So, you can discount any 'problem with papers' debate.