Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scottish Defence Force or British Armed Forces? - Research Questionnaire

Gents (and Ladies),

I'm a former foreign correspondent with The Times turned defence analyst, and am preparing a report on the potential defence implications of Scottish independence. I've spoken with the admins and they've kindly given me the all-clear to start this thread to that end.

As part of my work, I want to obtain some reliable, empirical data on what proportion of servicemen and women in Scots regiments would choose to join a Scottish Defence Force if given the choice, and what proportion would prefer to remain with the British Armed Forces.

I've spoken to Angus Robertson, the SNP Defence Spokesman, and he's assured me that should Scotland vote for independence next year, service personnel in Scottish regiments will indeed be given that choice.

I've prepared a survey, and if you are a currently serving in a Scottish regiment, or have done so in the past, or if you are a Scot in another regiment or service arm that cannot be so easily classified (RLC, Air Force etc) , I would be grateful if you could fill it out. It's only one page with four questions, so not a lot!

If you are not or have not served with a Scottish regiment or you aren't a Scot who complies with the above,
please do not fill out the survey, as alas, this question won't apply to you.

Please post your completed survey below, or else send direct to me at scottishdefence@gmail.com

Survey below, and thanks very much!

George

SCOTTISH DEFENCE SURVEY

1. In the event of Scotland voting ‘Yes’ to Independence in 2014 would you want to:
(Choose only one answer)
A. Remain in the British Armed Forces
B. Join the Scottish Defence Force (SDF)
C. Don’t know

i. If you answered ‘A’ to Question 1, was this because you believed the British Armed Forces would:
(You can choose more than one answer)
A. Offer more opportunities for foreign travel and operations than the SDF
B. Offer better pay and conditions than the SDF
C. Be a more effective fighting force than the SDF
D. Best enable me to serve my country
E. Other (please explain)

ii. If you answered ‘B’ to Question 1, was this because you believed the SDF would:
(You can choose more than one answer)
A. Offer more opportunities for foreign travel and operations than the British Armed Forces
B. Offer better pay and conditions than the British Armed Forces
C. Be a more effective fighting force than the British Armed Forces
D. Best enable me to serve my country
E. Other (please explain)

2. Compared with the British Armed Forces, do you believe a Scottish Defence Force could provide an independent Scotland with:
(Choose only one answer)
A. Better protection than it receives as part of the United Kingdom
B. Worse protection than it receives as part of the United Kingdom
C. About the same

3. In the 2014 referendum will you vote for Scotland:
(Choose only one answer)
A. To remain a part of the United Kingdom
B. To become independent
C. Don’t know
D. Won’t vote

I seriously doubt you will get any "reliable, empirical data" on this matter from any source. I trust you will not be claiming the results of your "survey" are based on reliable empirical data and/or are "officially sanctioned". All you will get are opinions, likely such a small sample of opinions that your results would be statistically insignificant. That said it was about time there was a Scottish Defence Thread, it may well be what this thread will develop into :)

I seriously doubt you will get any "reliable, empirical data" on this matter from any source. I trust you will not be claiming the results of your "survey" are based on reliable empirical data and/or are "officially sanctioned". All you will get are opinions, likely such a small sample of opinions that your results would be statistically insignificant. That said it was about time there was a Scottish Defence Thread, it may well be what this thread will develop into :)

So we'll be able to debate these instead of you just calculating what 10% of UK kit is and assuming everything will be alright?

But as for your previous bit, I'd agree with you.

Given that the UK, US and France all want out of the long term military deployment game, how are these UN deployments going to happen? No-one else in Europe has the appetite for sending their soldiers across the globe to die in penny packets in Third World shitholes and even if they did they've no way of doing it.

I'm not sure there is much point in actually engaging in argument with you as you obviously have little grasp of history. I suggest you do a quick google to see just how many European countries contributed troops in the Balkans etc.

So we'll be able to debate these instead of you just calculating what 10% of UK kit is and assuming everything will be alright?

But as for your previous bit, I'd agree with you.

8.4% Andy, we need to start debating from some point. I don't imagine for a moment we would need or even want that breakdown but it gives us some idea of what would be on the table. There is of course another way to approach it and that would be to examine what defence capability would be optimal and yet still affordable (No pish about Gimpies bungied to Trawlers or 1/2 a Red Arrow, we wont get anywhere with that attitude).

Curious about this us bases business. Why, when the us is withdrawing from europe, facing massive budget cuts and troop cuts would they want to open a new base in scotland when they already have several perfectly servicable bases in england.
What possible rationale is there fir this?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Apparently they need somewhere convenient to store their instant sunshine...

Are you for real ?.

Quite...monocular to the n'th degree. The SNP is not in the least bit interested in any armed forces, UN mandate or not, they're saying what they believe the electorate want to hear. They will contribute feck all to feck nothing given the opportunity. You know that. Their simplistic armed forces non statements to date say this.

It would appear that our First Minister is hopeing that Uncle Sam will set a base up.

Scottish independence: SNP open to US military bases - Top stories - Scotsman.com

That way he get's to raise some money from the black hole that is the SNPs policy and then get a further cost saving by removing the need to have a SDF.

I think he just wants the US tax payer to pay for it.

I was actually thinking of Leuchars

Quite...monocular to the n'th degree. The SNP is not in the least bit interested in any armed forces, UN mandate or not, they're saying what they believe the electorate want to hear. They will contribute feck all to feck nothing given the opportunity. You know that. Their simplistic armed forces non statements to date say this.

Quite - they've been struck by what I call the Curse of Opposition. The standard MO for opposition parties these days is to make headline-grabbing promises knowing (or hoping) that you're not going to be elected into Government and end up having to deliver on them. The Lib Dems and their tuition fees, and the SNP with Scottish Independence. The SNP know full well that they aren't going to win an Independence referendum which is why they're floating all sorts of nonsense like this.

Agree that no reliable data of any sort will come from these pages but he'll get enough data to influence the article he writes to argue the case for whichever side his analysis funded by. He can always make it up anyhoo ;-)

8.4% Andy, we need to start debating from some point. I don't imagine for a moment we would need or even want that breakdown but it gives us some idea of what would be on the table. There is of course another way to approach it and that would be to examine what defence capability would be optimal and yet still affordable (No pish about Gimpies bungied to Trawlers or 1/2 a Red Arrow, we wont get anywhere with that attitude).

You're not going anywhere with current polling. I see Angus is claiming that the no campaign thinks we can't make it by ourselves re iterating John Swinneys catch phrase of too wee, too small, too poor. Interesting that both Cameron and darling have said the opposite.

I like the majority of the population know that, but we feel that we're stronger within the UK.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I'm getting deva vu, here.

We have debated most of these issues before on the Indepenence thread. (with almost word for word replication of posts from some ARRSErs)

I'm not sure there is much point in actually engaging in argument with you as you obviously have little grasp of history. I suggest you do a quick google to see just how many European countries contributed troops in the Balkans etc.

Do you understand the difference between 'the past' (where the Balkans ops live) and 'the future' (where a possible Scottish Army lives)?

In 'the past' the UK, France and the US sent large numbers of troops, aircraft and ships to many different countries, which made it easy for smaller nations such as Holland, Denmark etc to deploy small numbers of troops as part of a multinational force.

Now ('the present') the US is sick of having their soldiers killed for no reason in foreign shitholes and want out of Europe and their problems so they can concentrate on their real problems in the Pacific. France are planning large scale military cuts and the UK are similarly sick of soldiers coming home in boxes and have no interest in deploying large formations to any more shitholes for a long time.

No-one in Europe outside of France and the UK can deploy large formations outside of Europe for any length of time alone. Even France have to ask the UK for strategic transport support. A future Scottish Armed Forces will not be deploying a brigade into some collapsed state on peacekeeping ops without UK, French or US support because they won't have the ability to do it, just like most of the rest of Europe don't. It is unlikely that a Scottish battlegroup will be deployed because it is similarly unlikely that they will be able to support them without support for a sustained period. Why would China or India want to spend money supporting Scottish soldiers when they have plenty of battalions of their own they can send?

The future for most of Europe's armies (barring a major war or a European nation collapsing into civil war like Yugoslavia did) is in providing small training teams and observers. You don't attract young lads into joining up with that.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The future for most of Europe's armies (barring a major war or a European nation collapsing into civil war like Yugoslavia did) is in providing small training teams and observers. You don't attract young lads into joining up with that.

And if that's the future for the UK's Army as well, what's going to attract young lads into it?

Other than a UK passport, obviously.

Curious about this us bases business. Why, when the us is withdrawing from europe, facing massive budget cuts and troop cuts would they want to open a new base in scotland when they already have several perfectly servicable bases in england.
What possible rationale is there fir this?

Me too.

Anything with a whiff of nuclear? - no way Jimmy.

Strategic intelligence? - nah

Ocean surveillance/ASW? - nah

Airfields? - nah.

Logistics? - nah

Combat units? - nah

More mince from Wee Eck, a man I'm increasingly coming to think of as a very competent political operator on the Scottish stage i.e. local politics writ large, but out of his depth on big government subjects like defence.

If fellow Scots really want to see something scary then; google the Scottish Government, search for Income Tax and then read the plans for the introduction of the Scottish Rate of Income Tax (SRIT) which will be introduced in Apr 2016. SRIT is part of the Calman reforms and WILL be coming into force, so wouldn't it be nice if the CoC informed Service personnel and their families of how this will apply to them?

Don't forget this is nothing to do with Nationality it is Residence, so English, Welsh, NI and F&C personnel assigned to units based in Scotland may be paying SRIT.