Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scottish Defence Force or British Armed Forces? - Research Questionnaire

Because the Irish air corps has no jets and the naval service has only a few small ships.

my point is why would the SDF need say submarines, the capabilities to deploy a Bde to U.K. peer combat, F35 etc etc

they wouldn’t necessarily chose/be able to afford those capabilities

isn’t one of the reasons for the reduction in Scottish Regts a lack of recruits?

my point is why would the SDF need say submarines, the capabilities to deploy a Bde to U.K. peer combat, F35 etc etc

they wouldn’t necessarily chose/be able to afford those capabilities

isn’t one of the reasons for the reduction in Scottish Regts a lack of recruits?
Perhaps you could read this and then ask the SNP

Interesting

Suppose the Scots have an referendum, unsanctioned by HMG, that delivers a pro independence vote. British PM Boris Johnson, says it does not matter, we don't have to take any notice.

The Scottish Nationalist Government declares UDI, and recruits a Tartan Army - mostly NEDS and Nats armed with small arms. The Scottish government pleads for people with military experience to join the new SDF to provide leadership and expertise.

Now answer the question posed by the researcher...

You missed 2016 for the Easter rising mk 2...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer
Who's to say Scotland will stay united with Scotland if the union comes undone?

Radio 4 or World Service sometime ago where Jockery islanders were discussing SNP and independence. Quite surprising how many of those interviewed were worried that SNP and Salmond would ruin the economy.
There was talk of independence from Edinburgh as an option, going it alone, staying with London or chucking their hat in with the Scandinavians - wonder if the SNP would allow an independence from Scottish independence?
That is another fruitful source of potential scenarios involving an English UK (-) military intervention...

Hippohunter

War Hero
You missed 2016 for the Easter rising mk 2...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
General Robert E Lee was a union supporter and was offered command of the union forces at the outbreak of the US Civil War. He turned this down and took command of the Confederate forces instead. As he stated “I will not draw my sword against Virginia”. A secessionist states and hishome state.

Hippohunter

War Hero
Who's to say Scotland will stay united with Scotland if the union comes undone?

Radio 4 or World Service sometime ago where Jockery islanders were discussing SNP and independence. Quite surprising how many of those interviewed were worried that SNP and Salmond would ruin the economy.
There was talk of independence from Edinburgh as an option, going it alone, staying with London or chucking their hat in with the Scandinavians - wonder if the SNP would allow an independence from Scottish independence?
Very true as some in Shetland have expressed a desire not to be in a independent Scotland. That is not to say they want to remain in the U.K. How big this support is I am not sure. Either way it is up for the people of Shetland to decide in a referendum and not for Edinburgh or anyone else to say “Now is not the time” or “No”. The will of the people must be respected and acknowledged that one decision is not set in stone but the will of the people can change.

CC_TA

LE
Very true as some in Shetland have expressed a desire not to be in a independent Scotland. That is not to say they want to remain in the U.K. How big this support is I am not sure. Either way it is up for the people of Shetland to decide in a referendum and not for Edinburgh or anyone else to say “Now is not the time” or “No”. The will of the people must be respected and acknowledged that one decision is not set in stone but the will of the people can change.
I bet if some of the oil is in the islanders waters they'll be able to play London and Edinburgh off against each other - could be fun to watch.

Hippohunter

War Hero
I bet if some of the oil is in the islanders waters they'll be able to play London and Edinburgh off against each other - could be fun to watch.
Why would they play one off against the other? Nothing to gain, just a choice between who you give all your oil revenue to. Better going Independent from both if that is what they choose.

Oil, gas, and fishing rights, BUT also the obligation (to pay) for the defence of those waters and what is beneath them.

I would be more comfortable, and feel safer, if the Shetlands as a British Overseas Territory, sub-contracted that work to the RN, than expect the one Scottish Fisheries "protection" vessel to be able - or want - to do the job :( !!

Last edited:

Hippohunter

War Hero
Oil, gas, and fishing rights, BUT also the obligation (to pay) for the defence of those waters and what is beneath them.

I would be more comfortable, and feel safer, if the Shetlands as a British Overseas Territory, sub-contracted that work to the RN, than expect the one Scottish Fisheries "protection" vessel to be able - or want - to do the job :( !!
I doubt that very much as the RN has nothing based even close and on 24 hours notice to move plus transit from the south of England it is not viable as we hav seen in the past. What vessels a Scottish naval service would have and where is pure speculation. Chances are given their close ties and affinity with Norway, a country used to patrolling oil/gas assets, that could well be the preferred option.