Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scottish Defence Force or British Armed Forces? - Research Questionnaire

Hippohunter

War Hero
Historically a lot of jocks went to 2 Para, not exclusively by any means as some did go to 1 and 3 but probably more jocks in 2 than 1 and 3 combined.

SDF - formed from the personal bodyguard of Nicola Sturgeon

All from Scottish Ethnic Origin

Know to perpetrated numerous atrocities and war crimes whilst fuelled with buckfast

Rather than wait 7 years, I'm doing my future post today now...

Historically a lot of jocks went to 2 Para, not exclusively by any means as some did go to 1 and 3 but probably more jocks in 2 than 1 and 3 combined.
Considering 2 Paras lineage goes directly back to the 7th Camerons, it’s a fitting place for Jocks to go.

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer
Although unlikely, there are scenarios that might lead to conflict between the two countries. Any independent Scotland would leave both armies with some interesting contingency planning. However much this is dressed up as a UN focused force that doesn't do the fighting thing, the only credible land threat to an Independent Scotland is the obvious, historic, one from England.

But we should embrace this idea. Scotland would be a much better "near peer" enemy to replace the Fantassians. Why pretend we could fight the Russians when there is a chance to plan the defence of England or invasion of Scotland. The SDF is about the size of force Britain could plausibly take on in a war. It might be hard to motivate the British public for the defence of Estonia, but surely who could resist the old grudge match?

As a historian I stand ready to support staff rides and battlefield studies based on a millennium of Anglo Scottish warfare.

Even better we could revive plans to fight the French.....

Last edited:

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer
At the traditional venue? Belgium?

I'd have a quick run through the numbers first if I were you.

I was thinking more about the Auld Alliance. The French often provided a contingent to even out the numbers in home fixtures. There was a French army in Scotland for 12 years between 1558 and the siege of Leith 1560, and a big contingent of Frenchmen in '45.
Traditionally the Jocks invaded England when we invade France - Nevilles Cross outside Durham 1346 which coincided with Edward III in Normandy and Flodden when Henry VIII attacked Boulogne.

See. Its hours of endless fun.

Hippohunter

War Hero
I think England would have their work cut out, fighting on your home ground makes you fight harder. Plus as England have endeared themselves to many nations over the centuries Scotland would probably be reinforced with contingents from France, Ireland, Spain to name but 3, never mind the rest of the EU. There are also large populations of expats from Scotland and their descendents in Canada, Australia and the US that would not take kindly to English aggression against the "home country". A nice "what if" scenario but military, political and economic suicide for England in reality.

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer
Interesting

Suppose the Scots have an referendum, unsanctioned by HMG, that delivers a pro independence vote. British PM Boris Johnson, says it does not matter, we don't have to take any notice.

The Scottish Nationalist Government declares UDI, and recruits a Tartan Army - mostly NEDS and Nats armed with small arms. The Scottish government pleads for people with military experience to join the new SDF to provide leadership and expertise.

Now answer the question posed by the researcher...

Last edited:
How will 2.5 billion quid equip, feed, clothe and maintain 15000 bods, and also pay the upkeep and fuel for aircraft, ships, and green trucks?

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
The Scottish Nationalist Government declares UDI, and recruits a Tartan Army - mostly NEDS and Nats armed with small arms. The Scottish government pleads for people with military experience to join the new SDF to provide leadership and expertise.

I doubt there are many firearms in Scotland, Scotgov is probably more fanatical in removing them than UKgov. The majority held would be bolt action rifles, and my own feeling is the majority of the owners would not be pro independence.

CC_TA

LE
Interesting

Suppose the Scots have an referendum, unsanctioned by HMG, that delivers a pro independence vote. British PM Boris Johnson, says it does not matter, we don't have to take any notice.

Who's to say Scotland will stay united with Scotland if the union comes undone?

Radio 4 or World Service sometime ago where Jockery islanders were discussing SNP and independence. Quite surprising how many of those interviewed were worried that SNP and Salmond would ruin the economy.
There was talk of independence from Edinburgh as an option, going it alone, staying with London or chucking their hat in with the Scandinavians - wonder if the SNP would allow an independence from Scottish independence?