Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scottish Defence Force or British Armed Forces? - Research Questionnaire

If fellow Scots really want to see something scary then; google the Scottish Government, search for Income Tax and then read the plans for the introduction of the Scottish Rate of Income Tax (SRIT) which will be introduced in Apr 2016. SRIT is part of the Calman reforms and WILL be coming into force, so wouldn't it be nice if the CoC informed Service personnel and their families of how this will apply to them?

Don't forget this is nothing to do with Nationality it is Residence, so English, Welsh, NI and F&C personnel assigned to units based in Scotland may be paying SRIT.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

I have been wondering how the MoD or AFPRB intends to approach this development. There may be a plan for MOD to pay an agreed lump sum rather than have individuals pay the extra.

Example of what? UK, US and France sending troops to places? All over the ****ing shop since the end of WW2. It's been kept quite quiet in the press but all three have deployed troops in Afghanistan for instance and both the US and UK had soldiers in Iraq. Keep it under your hat though. Before that of course were Sierra Leone, the Balkans, the French have taken part in several African operations and the US have poked their nose into many different places too.

Examples of the smaller countries that sent small contingents? The smaller nations that sent troops to the Balkans, Iraq and Afghanistan.

Right if the Jocks leave and become independent and take over the Scots Regiments would we bill them for all the kit that they are using might be a win win with what we lose a few disbanded Regiments could come back?
With the selling of the kit the new/old once could have nice new toys?.

International Security Assistance Force - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Multi-National Force
2011 military intervention in Libya - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Take a shuftie. It wasn't like it was only the UK that got dragged into Iraq. It would appear that every Nation that the SNP like to benchmark us against have been to nice sandy places.

But they're not interested in any form of international interaction as can be seen by the two people they've left in charge of international affairs.
Fiona Hyslop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Humza Yousaf - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Multi-National Force

Take a shuftie. It wasn't like it was only the UK that got dragged into Iraq. It would appear that every Nation that the SNP like to benchmark us against have been to nice sandy places.

But they're not interested in any form of international interaction as can be seen by the two people they've left in charge of international affairs.

Help me out Andy. Is your first paragraph just a statement of fact or is there some point to it?

Your second paragraph is a belter, in addition to being total bollocks nothing, including your links, in your post substantiates your point. Do you think it will take much effort to find evidence to the contrary? According to you an Independent Scotland under the SNP would have no interest in any form of international interaction!

At the very least I would have thought the expense of Wee Eck's visit to the US to engage in some international interaction would have had you outraged, but then if in your mind that's not happening it would be easy to see how your isolation from reality affects your reasoning

Example of what? UK, US and France sending troops to places? All over the ****ing shop since the end of WW2. It's been kept quite quiet in the press but all three have deployed troops in Afghanistan for instance and both the US and UK had soldiers in Iraq. Keep it under your hat though. Before that of course were Sierra Leone, the Balkans, the French have taken part in several African operations and the US have poked their nose into many different places too.

Examples of the smaller countries that sent small contingents? The smaller nations that sent troops to the Balkans, Iraq and Afghanistan.

Sorry taught you were talking about UN missions!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Multi-National Force

Am not sure of your point here.

So you're now saying a SDF would deploy as similar nations have?

Help me out Andy. Is your first paragraph just a statement of fact or is there some point to it?

Your second paragraph is a belter, in addition to being total bollocks nothing, including your links, in your post substantiates your point. Do you think it will take much effort to find evidence to the contrary? According to you an Independent Scotland under the SNP would have no interest in any form of international interaction!

At the very least I would have thought the expense of Wee Eck's visit to the US to engage in some international interaction would have had you outraged, but then if in your mind that's not happening it would be easy to see how your isolation from reality affects your reasoning

And our very own resident non link to the forces SNP cyber warrior returns the the fray trying to derail things.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
And our very own resident non link to the forces SNP cyber warrior returns the the fray trying to derail things.

And if you don't respond or in fact even better respond in a post appropriate to the thread, then the thread stays on course.

SNP envisages an SDF of 15,000 men, including all "current Scottish raised and restored UK regiments", with a total annual budget of £2.5 billion. There are very many issues with the SNP plans on defence, and that's what my report is looking at, but don't want to get into all of it now if possible.

George

What about the English & fijians serving in Scottish units.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
What about the English & fijians serving in Scottish units.

What about them?

Do you mean can they give their opinion in this survey, they fit the critera.

Will they be allowed to transfer to an SDF, there has been no suggestion that they can't.

Will they be made to transfer to an SDF, there has been no suggestion that they must.

What about them?

Do you mean can they give their opinion in this survey, they fit the critera.

Will they be allowed to transfer to an SDF, there has been no suggestion that they can't.

Will they be made to transfer to an SDF, there has been no suggestion that they must.

Can you imagine being TUPE'd whilst attached? :)

B

Biscuits_AB

Your spelling and grammar has improved over the weeks. Did you get bored pretending that you were a 'new' poster or did you just forget to keep up the pretence? You fanny.

I'm missing you on the other thread Andy, no worries I can catch up on your "stuff" in this thread you've scuttled off too.

Do I have to refute your "non link to the forces" claim every time you make it?

As to derailing the thread, have a read. The OP's query has received scant attention and probably with good reason. The thread has legs however as a forum for debate on Scottish defence. Your repeated and inaccurate argument that there won't be any Scottish defence to debate does more to derail the thread than my responses to your obfuscation.

So to continue "on thread" if you wish to debate Scottish Independence nip back to that thread. If you wish to debate Scottish defence in an independent Scotland you have to accept the proposition that we're past the Independence or not argument and are debating the defence implications that arise from that.

And a final reminder, you can argue your position as you see it but don't expect to get away with declaring what someone else's position is when the evidence from them is to the contrary.

It is clear in SNP defence policy what their position is with regard to International Interaction. Yes it can be said that this is not a guarantee'd fact, in policy what is, but it is a statement of intent, a phrase I'm sure we're familiar with. That "intent" will require a capability.

Discuss

GGrantEsq

Swinger
Morning All,

Been reading a lot of the comments and learned a fair amount, so thanks for all that. For those worried that the results of this survey will be the sole basis for any conclusions I draw on the matter, may I take this opportunity to emphasise yet again that this will not be the case - I am going directly to regiments as well.

That being said, the responses I have had so far have been excellent. Do please keep them coming to scottishdefence@gmail.com or alternatively PM me.

Once again, if you are Scot who can vote in the referendum or you are serving in a 'Scottish regiment' then please fill out the survey. If not, please do not. Cheers.

George

1. In the event of Scotland voting ‘Yes’ to Independence in 2014 would you want to:
(Choose only one answer)
A. Remain in the British Army
B. Join the Scottish Defence Force (SDF)
C. Don’t know

i. If you answered ‘A’ to Question 1, was this because you believed the British Army would:
(You can choose more than one answer)
A. Offer more opportunities for foreign travel and operations than the SDF
B. Offer better pay and conditions than the SDF
C. Be a more effective fighting force than the SDF
D. Best enable me to serve my country
E. Other (please explain)

ii. If you answered ‘B’ to Question 1, was this because you believed the SDF would:
(You can choose more than one answer)
A. Offer more opportunities for foreign travel and operations than the British Army
B. Offer better pay and conditions than the British Army
C. Be a more effective fighting force than the British Army
D. Best enable me to serve my country
E. Other (please explain)

2. Compared with the British Armed Forces, do you believe a Scottish Defence Force could provide an independent Scotland with:
(Choose only one answer)
A. Better protection than it receives as part of the United Kingdom
B. Worse protection than it receives as part of the United Kingdom
C. About the same

3. In the 2014 referendum will you vote for Scotland:
(Choose only one answer)
A. To remain a part of the United Kingdom
B. To become independent
C. Don’t know
D. Won’t vote

If you have an in to the regiments, don't just look at scottish infantry regiments. There's a lot of Scots working in the corps that are spread to the wind. Try and get to those as well.