Scots regiment 'under threat'

The Kings Regt and the Cheshire Regt could be almalgamated quite easily.

But we all know what will happen. After 'much deliberation, consultation, and thought' (bugger all consultation in other words), they will decide to axe the 2nd Battalion in those Regiments that still have a 2nd Battalion no matter if they are up to strength or not. Can't have a Regiment disbanded, even if it has only got 300 I bet they'll say.

Muppets, the lot of them!

Line_Grunt said:
PRS069 - jealousy will get you nowhere :lol:
Jealous of what exactly?

alfiefizz

Old-Salt
Gents let not forget the Welsh. Save the Jocks and lets get the knifes out for the Welsh Guards. That undermaned regiment full of fat whinging knackers. They are not wanted in St Athans by their own people and they were never wanted in Aldershot.

So for your consideration, I propose 1WG for disbandment or for amalgamation with the RLC. :twisted: :twisted:

alfiefizz said:
Gents let not forget the Welsh. Save the Jocks and lets get the knifes out for the Welsh Guards. That undermaned regiment full of fat whinging knackers. They are not wanted in St Athans by their own people and they were never wanted in Aldershot.

So for your consideration, I propose 1WG for disbandment or for amalgamation with the RLC. :twisted: :twisted:
Do we really have to inflict them on the rest of the Army?

Can't they all just be given P45's?

You know what they say, start a rumour and it will all too quickly come true. It's very likely the Scots Div will lose a battalion, and the QLR and KORBR have managed to avoid being amalgamated two sets of cuts in a row. Third time lucky? 2nd Bns remain under threat, but dont forget that the Royal Irish Rangers were cut by a Bn and amalgamated with the UDR, so no-one is truly safe....
There's an exception to every rule, in this case it's the Guards. Their Divisional manning level remains healthy as they use 'understrength' to provide the additional companies around the place.
In anticipation of political pressure 'in the constituency', does anyone get the feeling that while a decision hasn't even begun to be made, the pre-emptive releases to the press by a number of Generals' Outer Offices has already begun.
Is AG really in a quandry, or is he ensuring that he can hold up his hands and say to the people of Scotland "it's not my decision, but...", and will this occur in other places as the white paper looms ever closer? Do they have a Black Rod equivalent post in the Scottish Parliament?
In my naivety I'd like to think not, but watch this space.

Ironside

Swinger
Sunshine,
I can reassure you that the Scottish Parliament has no Black Rod equivalent, saving us from the sad spectacle of some portly, red-faced retired person prancing around in public in fancy dress. The Scots do have the Archers, though, as embarrassing to the Jocks as Morris dancing is to England.
However, the establishment does trend to reward loyalty over ability, and Scotland has its fair share of senior private and public posts filled by those whose only claim to fame was keeping their heads down and noses clean whilst toadying their way up through the ranks.
I'm sure future retiring Scottish senior officers will find opportunities a-plenty to join this pantheon of mediocrity. But the chances of AG or anyone else having the cojones to speak out publicly against any cuts to the Scottish Division are, sadly, virtually nil. Self respect has given way to self interest, I'm afraid.

Why do we need cuts in the first place?

PartTimePongo said:
Why do we need cuts in the first place?
B Liar obviously wants to purchase a brand new drinks cabinet, and 2 Jags needs a new car.

Utter Pondlife

Can't we use the both of them as Fig 11's during Field Firing, I'm sure that it would improve marksmanship!

URBANTIGER

Swinger
No this is wot it is gents... because the mighty british army make it work everytime were askrd to, whether it be figjhting wars or fires the goverment fat wan***s sit there and think f**k me weve just let another 2000 refugees in to our country, how on earth are we gonna pay for there new cars and mobile phone ... che ching and there u have it tony grin and bear it blair comes up with another classic !!!!!!!!!!!!!! dont know about u but i cant wait for the next election ......

jash

War Hero
to get rid of the Highlanders would be a crime, If a jock regiment has to go why not one of the lowland Regiments, The Royal Scots has had just as hard a time recruiting as the Highlanders, to such an extent that when the Queen presented them with their new colors she may as well have renamed them the royal regiment of Fiji! If the Highlanders go there will be no local infantry Regiment from Dundee north!!

How can that help recruiting :evil:

msr

LE
jash said:
If the Highlanders go there will be no local infantry Regiment from Dundee north!!

How can that help recruiting :evil:
It's clearly not working very effectively at the moment.....

msr

wee_face

Clanker
Gents,
we are forgetting those who we hate the most (not the cavalry) but the Guards. Who needs them?? have you ever heard of a useful thing that a guardsman has done? We would not miss them one bit, although it would be useful to have someone to do the drill at rememberance day. Maybe if the Five Regiments were reduced to Five companies we could save some money somewhere so that real soldiers could get paid more??

Line_Grunt

War Hero
MSR, recruitment for the Highlanders is not working effectively due to a number of reasons - one the oil industry is still on the go ( a good thing for jobs in the north east) and two potential recruits in both the North East (Aberdeenshire and Grampian) and in Inverness-shire and the North want to be Gordon Highlanders or Queens Own Highlanders respectively. (I say this as I was part of the recruiting strategy team carrying out a series of surveys on why recruiting was so poor)

Also with the creation of the 51st Highland regt (TA) the Local presence of the Highlanders(and the Black Watch and Argylls) has been drastically reduced as TAc's have been sold off. No local presence + a lack of 'affection' for the Highlanders amongst the local populace means piss poor recruiting.

This is a problem for every battalion, however, English battalions have larger population catchment areas than most of the Scottish ones - so in general terms the jocks aren't doing too badly.......but more money and effort needs to be put in by the MOD to raise awareness and address a lot of the issues that will lead to better recruitment.

Hairyhaw

Old-Salt
recruitment for the Highlanders is not working effectively due to a number of reasons - one the oil industry is still on the go ( a good thing for jobs in the north east)
Being originally from that part of the world myself, the grapevine says that all is not well within the industry and it is now in terminal (albiet slow) decline as production is now past its peak. In the case of the Highlanders, would it be prudent to sit back and wait to see if this had any effect on recruiting?

L_G- found the survey results interesting. When, if you don't mind me asking, were these surveys carried out? Did anyone in the QO Hldrs footprint mention the Seaforths or Camerons? I'm just interested to see how long it takes for an amalgamated regiment to gain it's own identity.

regarding the sale of TAC's, especially in more rural towns, I do agree that this has taken away local dimension but there was only a direct capbadge connection to the reg regt in the mid to late 90's? before that was the 3 51st Highland Volunteer battalions and they were 'affiliated' (by that, their TOS patch was in Gordon or whatever) but were regarded as a bit of a separate entity.
Spotter alert...... :?

Hairyhaw

Old-Salt
Oh yes, and Jash-fully agree regarding 1RS!! Last time I was in Dreghorn it was a sea of Fijian's!! I think Edinburgh accents are in the minority!
Anyone know the script in RHF-land at the moment?

Line_Grunt

War Hero
Hairy,

Survey took place in 1997 - 1998 - lasted a year (Peterhead and Fraserborough are scary places). Survey was done all over 51 Highland area.

Feeling in Queens Own Highlanders old recruiting areas was that it would be nice if the Seaforths or Camerons came back, but not necessary as there was enough loyalty/identification with the QOH - I guess because the Seaforths and Cameron's recruited from the same areas - Invernessshire, Western Isles, the Black Isle + had very good PR.

The Gordons, as i'm sure you are well aware, come from a seperate areas - Aberdeenshire, Kincardineshire, Banffshire, Speyside etc. Both very seperate areas in terms of history and 'culture'.

The main overlap in recruiting areas for all 3 was speyside.

Even with the oil industry declining slowly, there are plenty of rumours of adaption and new industries starting to appear in the North East. Even if this does not appear i fear that no local presence means poor local visibility and awareness which leads to piss poor recruitment.

I do agree that the TA in the North used to be 3/51 - but as you correctly say they used to have the relevant tartan patch behind their capbage and the companies used to have affiliations with their regular counter parts - PSI's from the Gordons used to go to the Gordons companies. This was still the case with 51 highland when I was there - ex QOH went to Inverness as PSI's, ex Gordons went to Peterhead.

Too much history happened with the amalgamation and there is still bad feeling in the local populace about it - 10 years on - not helped by the defence reviews and the destruction of the interface between the Army and Civ Pop by doing away with the local TAC's and the Kape tours/recruiting offices etc.

If it keeps up Scots Div will end up like the TA in Scotland - 1 amalgamated lowland Regt and 1 amalgamated Highland Regt and god help the hindmost, as that will be the effective end of the Army in Scotland. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Not that this lot would care, everything they have touched has rotted and turned to dust

Hairyhaw

Old-Salt
If it keeps up Scots Div will end up like the TA in Scotland - 1 amalgamated lowland Regt and 1 amalgamated Highland Regt and god help the hindmost, as that will be the effective end of the Army in Scotland.
8O I'd rather drink my own pish than see that happen!

as concerns TACs:
http://www.mod.uk/issues/territorial_army/highland.htm
We didn't really lose that many, though Laurencekirk was definitely a blow. A few lads I knew were gutted about it.

Definitely not impressed with the lack of visibility regarding the army and the TA in the public eye (and even when it is, like in the sandpit, we appear as some sort of remote THING separate from society). Something needs to be done, but what?

Line_Grunt said:
I do agree that the TA in the North used to be 3/51 - but as you correctly say they used to have the relevant tartan patch
Ooooh, hang your head in shame :) :) It was 2/51.......

1/51 were mostly Black Watch (barring the London and Liverpool Scots, remember) and after SDR, with loss of their southern arms, became 3BW.

2/51 were a mix of Queens' Own and Gordons, and eventually became 3 HLDRS

3/51 were the only "pure" Scottish TA battalion before SDR, and became 7/8 A&SH muy pronto

1/52 were a mix of RHF, KOSB, and Cameronians; became 3 RHF after losing the Cameronians, and transferring their KOSB (in Dumfries) to....

2/52 were a mix of RS, KOSB, and Cameronians, and became LOWLAND.

Line_Grunt

War Hero
before my time....

anyway - the main thrust of what I was saying still holds true...despite getting 2/51 & 3/51 mixed up (sorry to any A&SH out there)....

NO PRESENCE IN THE COMMUNITY AND IN THE PUBLIC AWARENESS MEANS NO RECRUITS........

Latest Threads