Scots Guards

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Gimp, Jan 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello folks,

I am currently at college and considering joining the Scots Guards when my course is completed.

I have had a look at their Web site and visited my local ACIO for information. I was hoping posters on this site could give my a little information on this regiment, or even Guardsman in general. I am particularly interested if anyone could shed the sort of fitness required during CIC. I am not the fittest bloke in the world but have a few months to build up and a nod in the right direction would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Gimp

2. Cheeky little Bump. :)

3. gimp

I assume you are being ignored because this is seen by the community as a bone question indicating a lack of initiative.

Luckily for you I am feeling mellow as I run down to lunch...so:

I suggest you google CIC, Catterick and ITC. It is all on the http://www.army.mod.uk/hqschinf/itc_catterick/ web-site.

4. Appreciate the link Cuddles. I have a rough idea of the fitness required to pass out of the ITC, I have looked at every available resource Internet, Regt literature and visited my ACIO so I am trying. I was more looking at the most important type of fitness on arrival (I could have worded my original post clearer).

I am not sure whether to hitting the gym or sticking with bodyweight resistance exercises. As I understand it there will be a lot of Forced Marches on the course, is running/circuit/swimming etc. going to be enough to prepare me or should I get walking with some weight? I see from some other posts that thrashing oneself with a Bergen is not advised, how about just getting used to weight?

Also, originally I was seeking a heads up on what to expect but have developed a rough idea having reviewed some old posts.

Thank you for your response

5. Furthermore, it would be interesting to get a view on this Regt from someone who is not trying to recruit me. :wink:

6. Run, in trainers, until you are comfortable running four or five miles. That will give you enough "starting fitness". Don't bother with weight or boots...that will be ITC's special gift to you!