Scots Guards pipers capbadge help needed

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by cdo_gunner, May 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Last week, whilst out with a mate walking the dog on an old training area i came across this, what i believe to be, a Scots Guards pipers capbadge. It was found on the surface and other bits and bos nearby were WWII dated (.303 cases, base plugs for mills bombs, 2" mortar stuff etc.) but i was wondering if these are dateable at all? The area was used during WWII throughout and i understand up to the mid-60s.

It would be nice to know if this particular style was only used between 19XX and 19YY for example.

Attached Files:

2. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Great find, I would have the urge to bull it up- probably do it more harm than good!

3. It is indeed a SG piper's badge. As for dates , don't know when it was first used but it is still in use today

4. Would that badge be for a glengarry, or for a feather bonnet?

5. Was a nice thing to find. Makes you wonder if the piper in question got any grief for it at endex.

6. not sure of the date - but i can confirm that it is indeed a badge belonging to the Scots Guards and by the look of it i would say the material is a metal of some kind.

Hope that helps.