Scots Guards or RRS?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by roar, Jul 26, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,
    Looking for some insider view points on this choice. My preference currently is for The Black Watch (3 SCOTS). I have read on other threads that when joining the RRS you have very little control over what bat you will end up in. Can anybody shine any light on this, and if 3 SCOTS still see themselves as The Black Watch, rather than just simply 3 SCOTS ?

Also I have read Fort George may be closing, do they have any idea where they may be posted next?

My other interest is in the Scots Guards. Some say this regiment is not very Scottish in its make up. Can anybody shed light on this?

Thanks in advance.

2. I was speaking to a Highlander the other week, he was saying that after training you get chucked into the Bn that is next in line for a tour, I don't know how true this is. As for the Scots Guards, I will declare an interest having served with them and my son is currently serving with them, the vast majority are Scots so in that respect they are very much Scottish, even though there are guys from all over. Having met a lot of them recently in Dundee, they are a good bunch of lads and are heading off for a tour very shortly.

3. This is correct. Recruitment for the RRS is now centralised & those fresh from Catterick go to whichever battalion needs them to bulk up for HERRICK.

At Roar; yes we haven't quite embraced the present unlike seemingly The Rifles.

4. The Royal Regiment of Scotland is THE Scottish Infantry Regiment of the British Army.

The Scots Guards are A Guards Regiment of Infantry in the British Army with a Scottish theme that recruits in the North of England and Scotland.

However:

5. Are you Fijian, or from somewhere else in the commonwealth? How prone to cold weather injuries are you? Can you swim? All of the above will affect which Battalion you go to.