Scots Guards and the Royal Scots next to go north?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by DonnMac2, Dec 1, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Is this another of those Clairol moments? ("Is she or isn't she?" - "Are they or aren't they?)

    Hoon's said they won't be (but maybe his words should be picked over). Stories in Labour supporting papers say they might be. What do they hope to gain by leaking and spinning such confusion? A P.R. award?

    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=14931360%26method=full%26siteid=89488%26headline=more%2djocks%2dwill%2dbe%2dsent%2dinto%2dfiring%2dline-name_page.html

    MORE JOCKS WILL BE SENT INTO FIRING LINE Dec 1 2004

    Army chief tells how troops can 'do the job again'

    By Pippa Crerar

    BRITAIN'S top Army officer in Iraq warned yesterday that more UK troops could be sent north to the danger zones to help US forces. And the Scots Guards and the Royal Scots could be the next in the firing line, it was claimed.

    The news came as the Black Watch ended their high-risk mission near the 'triangle of death'.

    Major General Bill Rollo said: 'If we are asked to do it again, and the situation makes sense, then clearly we are capable of doing it again.'

    He added: 'I'm not saying that means we are going to be moving out of the south on a full-time basis or even on a regular basis.

    'But, as and when the requirement arises and it makes sense to do so, then I'm sure we will.'

    Senior commanders have denied that more one-off deployments would be 'mission creep'.

    They claim that the mission was always in Iraq as a whole and never just the south of the country.

    Army chief General Sir Mike Jackson hinted last week that there could be military reasons for British forces to move north again.

    MoD officials and ministers have always said such decisions would originate on the ground in Iraq.

    Major General Rollo is the top-ranking officer in Iraq so his remarks carry real weight. Many Labour backbenchers were last night uncomfortable with the suggestion.

    They said it was 'stretching the boundaries' of what troops had originally been asked to do.

    Several warned that the Scots Guards, currently in Basra, and the Royal Scots, due to become the high-readiness regiment in January, could be jetted in to Iraqi danger zones.

    On a flying visit to Camp Dogwood to congratulate the Black Watch, Rollo insisted it was right to answer the call to back up US forces while they launched a full-on assault on Fallujah.

    He said the operation had been 'critical' to holding elections in Iraq - a 'central' part of the Army's mission.

    He added: 'The Americans asked us to help. We had the capacity to do it, we are part of a team and, in my view, finally it was the right thing to do.

    'It's a necessary operation. If there's a need to come up here and help, that's what we should do.

    'I think it is a fallacy to think that we can sit in one corner of Iraq and think that will then decide the campaign.'

    Previous requests for British help from the Americans in Najaf and on the Syrian border were turned down.

    Rollo admitted surprise at the political opposition to the Black Watch's redeployment but claimed it had been a success, despite five deaths.
     
  2. poor old scots, getting all the shitty jobs

    will be RRWs turn after them

    Blairs doing his best to get the celts killed off :twisted:
     
  3. Long tradition, Zulu-nabber. Northern Irish, Canadians and Aussies in WW1, Scots and Welsh as ready sacrificial reserve for both that and the 1939 replay. :wink: As Mel "Braveheart" Gibson said in that otherwise forgettable Western in kilts: "They can take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!!!!!"
     
  4. Well if they send the Scots Guards north, it shouldn't kill too many Celts - them being the least Scottish of all the Scottish regiments.
     
  5. Black day for South Africa and Surrey, though.
     
  6. Heh, indeed!
     
  7. "ANSWER YOUR NAMES!"

    WLODZYMERJCK,"SIR"
    PADEREWSKI,"SIR
    WALESOWIYCH,"SIR"
    DUMCYZK,"SIR"
    JURASOVIC"SIR"

    "GORDON HIGHLANDERS present and correct,SIR"

    Suppose this will be in Fijian before too long
     
  8. could take a heavy toll on the English Aristocracy
     
  9. Galgers,
    Loads of we chosen people with Polish surnames. It's the product of large tranches of the Free Polish forces being stationed in Odin's Own Country during the '39'-'45 unpleasantness.
     
  10. [quote="come_to_arrest_the_zulus
    could take a heavy toll on the English Aristocracy[/quote]

    No great loss to the gene pool. :wink:
     
  11. Goatman

    Goatman LE Book Reviewer

    Ah the jungle grapevine...marvellous....here is the alternative version from Defencenet:

    Princess of Wales’ Royal Regiment To Replace 40 Cdo Royal Marines in Iraq
    01/12/2004



    Ministers have announced that 2 Bn Princess of Wales’ Royal Regiment (PWRR) will replace 40 Commando Royal Marines in Iraq from early January, with 1 Bn the Royal Scots taking over from PWRR as the very high readiness reserve.


    Force levels in Iraq are kept under review to ensure that we are able to play our part in assisting the Iraqi Interim Government to create the conditions for elections, reconstruction and economic growth.

    40 Commando were deployed to provide support to Iraqi security forces and to provide the capacity for some other tasks, including the protection of essential infrastructure. The General Officer Commanding MND(SE) has concluded that there will be a continuing requirement for these tasks beyond elections in Iraq planned for 30 January.

    The roulement is currently planned to take place from early January 2005, with handover to 2 Princess of Wales’ Royal Regiment complete by mid-January. This is a routine roulement of forces and there will be no change in overall UK force levels as a result.

    In a Written Ministerial Statement to Parliament on Wednesday 1 December 2004, Minister for the Armed Forces, Adam Ingram MP, said:


    "As part of the routine management of UK forces in the Multinational Division (South-East) (MND(SE)) in Iraq, we intend to conduct a roulement of forces involving the replacement of 40 Commando Royal Marines with the 2nd Battalion the Princess of Wales’ Royal Regiment.

    "The Secretary of State for Defence announced on 17 June (Official Report, column 48. ) that 40 Commando would deploy to MND(SE) during June and July, both to provide support to Iraqi security forces and to provide the capacity for some other tasks, including the protection of essential infrastructure. The General Officer Commanding MND(SE) has concluded that there will be a continuing requirement for these tasks beyond elections in Iraq planned for 30 January. Based on this advice, we have decided that 2nd Battalion the Princess of Wales’ Royal Regiment should replace 40 Commando when their six month deployment in Iraq comes to an end in January 2005.

    "Since 1 November, 2nd Battalion the Princess of Wales’ Royal Regiment has been acting as the Very High Readiness Reserve (VHRR), at 10 days’ readiness to deploy to Iraq. In January the responsibility for VHRR will pass from 2 Princess of Wales’ Royal Regiment to the 1st Battalion the Royal Scots.

    "The roulement is currently planned to take place from early January 2005, with handover to 2nd Battalion the Princess of Wales’ Royal Regiment complete by mid January. We expect that the number of armed forces personnel in theatre will remain broadly the same as a result of these changes, with the other major UK units currently in Iraq unchanged. These units are as follows:

    [yeah, fair enough Minister]

    "I would emphasise that these are routine adjustments to UK forces in MND(SE). We continue to consider, with our partners in the multinational force, the levels and dispositions of forces required in Iraq in the months ahead, to support the sovereign Interim Government of Iraq through the process leading to the election of an Iraqi Transitional Government and assembly in January 2005 and full constitutional elections in December 2005. If we judge that further changes to the UK military contribution in Iraq would be appropriate to support this process, we will of course inform the House at the earliest opportunity. At present, however, no such decision has been made ."



    FWIW....prolly all change next week.....Merry Christmas to all the guys and gals who will be spending it in the Sandbox....head down, chin up !


    Le Chevre << Ba-a-a-a-h!>>
    --
     
  12. Ahem, if you think only the "Northern Irish" were represented in both World Wars matey then you're very much mistaken! In the First World War there were two Southern Irish Divisions (10th and 16th Irish) raised in the same way as the 36th Ulster not to mention the 8 specifically Southern Irish regiments of the Regular Army and the thousands of S.Irish serving in the other arms and services. Furthermore, more men from Southern Ireland served in the British forces during the Second World War than did men from N.Ireland even though the South was Neutral!! An English visitor to Ulster during the war was moved to comment "I saw many loyal Ulstermen in Belfast, all loyally staying at home"
     
  13. Jaeger,
    No disrespect to the Southern Irish intended.I've met many fine soldiers from there in more recent times. :(