Scots Dragoon Guards or Royal Reiment of Scotland

Hi folks my application is in full swing and have my assessment centre after new year in Edinburgh.
Advice on Royal Scots Dragoon Guards or Royal regiment of Scotland?
I am 34. I am struggling to make the choice between RAC Royal Scots Dragoon Guards or Infantry Royal Reg Scotland?
What are your thoughts? Thanks a lot cheers

chimera

LE
At your age, you may find RSDG a little easier on the body.

Don't join a jock regiment - if Wee Jimmie gets her way you'll either be transferred to the new Scottish Army (whatever the fook that looks like) or brought south and subsumed into a British regiment

Don't join a jock regiment - if Wee Jimmie gets her way you'll either be transferred to the new Scottish Army (whatever the fook that looks like) or brought south and subsumed into a British regiment
Doubt it she'll get a grab of troops they will be under no obligation to go after all contract was with the British Army not a self styled SDF

Faded

Clanker
I don't know if I'd recommend the infantry at 34, you'll be 35 when you pass out possibly closer to 36. I feel that you might struggle to adjust to a new life of being told what to do by people a lot younger than you as well as living with them. It's easy to cope with in training but when you get to your unit and someone 15 years younger than you is sproging you off it's not the same!

I don't know what life is like in corps like Engineers/Signals/Logistic etc so perhaps that would suit you more.

As @br9mp812 says have a look at RAF/RN careers they have a higher share of 'older' recruits and might be more suitable.

P.O.N.T.I

War Hero
What @Faded said.
Bin being a grunt. You are to old. End of.
Scots DG are Light Cav'. Again, to much time running about. To old.

RAF or RN is the way forward at 34.
Good pay scales and better trades.

NemoIII

War Hero
Hi folks my application is in full swing and have my assessment centre after new year in Edinburgh.
Advice on Royal Scots Dragoon Guards or Royal regiment of Scotland?
I am 34. I am struggling to make the choice between RAC Royal Scots Dragoon Guards or Infantry Royal Reg Scotland?
What are your thoughts? Thanks a lot cheers
You're going to have 19 year old NCOs shouting at you for pointless little things, if you've got a good career in civilian street join 6/7 Scots or SNIY.

If you're really wanting to join the forces, RN/RAF at that age. You're looking at being a 40 year old bod, being beasted all over some wet training area with 18 year olds.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
What @Faded said.
Bin being a grunt. You are to old. End of.
Scots DG are Light Cav'. Again, to much time running about. To old.

RAF or RN is the way forward at 34.
Good pay scales and better trades.
My bold. Imho light cav is simply a mechanism to keep three RAC regiments on the OrBat while the Army struggles with the austerity imposed by Cameron to counter Cyclops having sold everything and spent the money.

To my eye (my Association is Light Dragoons) light cav is very much infantry by another name, and to make it special and different, at least no easier. I've seen what the LD do. I wouldn't have done it 40 years ago. Far too much running around for this idle bastard.

My bold. Imho light cav is simply a mechanism to keep three RAC regiments on the OrBat while the Army struggles with the austerity imposed by Cameron to counter Cyclops having sold everything and spent the money.

To my eye (my Association is Light Dragoons) light cav is very much infantry by another name, and to make it special and different, at least no easier. I've seen what the LD do. I wouldn't have done it 40 years ago. Far too much running around for this idle bastard.
I would add to AlienFTM’s post, the weirdness that is the RAC has also spent a lot of the time fannying around as dismounts. Look at the QRH (my old regiment, and another regiment before), who glory in this stuff. Yes, it may have kept them afloat, but really.
If you want to go tankie, join the RTR.
In my opinion, the only regiment that will ever get to operate MBT.

I would add to AlienFTM’s post, the weirdness that is the RAC has also spent a lot of the time fannying around as dismounts. Look at the QRH (my old regiment, and another regiment before), who glory in this stuff. Yes, it may have kept them afloat, but really.
If you want to go tankie, join the RTR.
In my opinion, the only regiment that will ever get to operate MBT.
Totally agree Mukker, at 34 the OP (Highlandscot) unless he's an ultra fit thick skinned bugger, the RRS or RSDG in their present role will be too much.
If you've got some decent qualifications, get yourself into a Trade either REME, RE.
What I tell youngsters thinking of joining up, go into a trade that'll serve you in Civvy Street at the end of your engagement. One suggestion Aircraft Airframe Fitter, all three services have Airframes, let me put a scenario to you.
You go RN as an Aircraft fitter, your first posting could be on one of our new carriers. Marine engineers, in the engine room. When you get out of the Andrew, as an trained military aircraft fitter on.. say F35s, you'd probably get a Civvy job with any country in the world.
Good luck.