Scots DG to be scrapped?

This was in the Scotsman on Sunday, not entirely sure how accurate it is (shocker...) however it states that "a Scottish tank Regiment" is to be scrapped in the forthcoming cuts, and they therefore assume this to be the Scots DG - where this info comes from it doesnt actually say but couldn't this more accurately be 1 RTR? Or is it all a big bag of bollox as usual?!

Argylls and Dragoons set to be scrapped - Politics - Scotsman.com

Thought it was a Fijian Cavalry Regiment Officered by the English, so should be safe :wink:

Having given up the CBRN job, I would guess that 1RTR are on shaky ground...

Hmmmm, looks like the PR machine is firing up.

It's saying in today's edition that ALL Cavalry units are going to be subsumed into infantry with a Sqn going to each battalion. Hmmm...

Link to follow once I get out of the pub.

"Scottish Tank Regiment" could as easily refer to 1RTR as SCOTS DG (at least from some people's perspective. Clearly some quality analytical journalism to stir up the Scottish nationalists. Given that SCOTS DG provides the armour for 7X in Germany and (unfortunately on paper at least) 1RTR provides no particular enduring capability to anyone, I know which of the two I would bet on going. Also however Scottish 1RTR might be, the name doesn't sound particularly Scottish, therefore to appease the SNP (in the face of the almost inevitable loss of a Bn from the Royal Regiment of Scotland), 1RTR probably makes more sense from a politico perspective to go.

This was in the Scotsman on Sunday, not entirely sure how accurate it is (shocker...) however it states that "a Scottish tank Regiment" is to be scrapped in the forthcoming cuts, and they therefore assume this to be the Scots DG - where this info comes from it doesnt actually say but couldn't this more accurately be 1 RTR? Or is it all a big bag of bollox as usual?!

Argylls and Dragoons set to be scrapped - Politics - Scotsman.com
Na, this is all part of the jock-ohoonies plan for an independent Jock-Land.
Camms flogs off any and all parts of the British Army cheap, so that the new joke army can arise fron the ashes or something like that.

B

Biscuits_AB

..1RTR probably makes more sense from a politico perspective to go.
Not really. This is a Tory dominated coalition who've nothing to lose by binning the SCOTS DG. The Tories are not exactly the voters choice in Scotland, nor will they ever be. Spiteful doesn't even begin to describe Cameron and his bunch of cnuts.

elovabloke

ADC
1 RTR are no more Scottish than 2 RTR Londerners. 1 RTR was originally made up from members of 1 & 4 RTR (who did recruit from Scotland). There is a certain amount of X posting now between both regiments so to divide them into regions is becoming a thing of the past.

Hasn't the PM said no cap badges are to be lost.............

1 RTR are no more Scottish than 2 RTR Londerners. 1 RTR was originally made up from members of 1 & 4 RTR (who did recruit from Scotland). There is a certain amount of X posting now between both regiments so to divide them into regions is becoming a thing of the past.
I think Tito did the same moving the fratious tribes of Yugoslavia away from their home Units, and look what happened when it stopped :wink:

The_Duke

LE
doesnt the scotsman just publish the same story every 3-4 months but with different units?
It is a wonderful self fulfilling prophesy.

1. The press and Old Comrades keep telling everyone that Scottish units are up for the chop in a vain attempt to gain public support.
2. Scottish people decide not to join Scottish units because they think they will be up for the chop. Why join something which is going to be cut?
3. Scottish units are therefore consistently under recruited and need the majority of the F&C recuits coming out of infantry training to keep them manned.
4. Poor recruiting and manning means that they do not compare well to other infantry units, so they are liable to be in the frame for any cuts on the horizon.
5. Return to point 1.

Putting aside big Alec and his posturing to bin both the RSDGs and the Argylls is liable to kick of another "Save our Scottish Regiment campaign". The Jackson 5 buggered us last time, so I have no doubt there will be resignation in most peoples minds. It's a sad state of affairs but with a reduced need for big tanks, and the ease of binning another Infantry Bn regardless of its heritage with the ease of taking a Royal Regiment of Scotland out of the Orbat. After all there are then four left!

What on earth is the RSDGs? Royal Scots Dinner Group? Really Silly Drinking Game?

I make no claims to knowing much about The North British Dragoons, but I remember well that the abbreviation is SCOTS DG...