Scots £100 note worth only £84 in Londone West End!

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Airfix, Apr 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Stupid cow

2. Why not go to a real bank and f*cking do it!!!

silly sods the lot of em...

3. Silly mare should get ripped off if she handed over money and query the cost after. I'd charged more. Plenty banks near/on Oxf St.

4. Seen the comment underneath?

In reply I would say (couold I be arsed to register)

More importantly, we don't want you and your "Funny Money" coming down and spoiling our English enjoyment.

There. Thats about the right intellectual tone I was aiming for.

Twonk.

5. silly woman

6. The exchange mob at Gatwick tried to charge me commission on Northern Irish tenners, so I declined their offer and spent them upstairs in the village.

7. more fool her

but does anybody know why English shops don't take NI, Scottish or Channel Island cash?

having family in Guernsey I always had to offload spare coinage in mainland vending machines following the summer hols as a kid :roll:

8. ISTR an answer on arrse to this. I believe that it is NOT in fact legal tender in England (the scottish notes anyway).

Don't know where I read it, but I do know it looked convincing to me - but I was Stella'd :D

9. From the Wiki:

'Bank of England notes are the only banknotes that are legal tender in England and Wales. Scottish, Northern Ireland, Jersey, Guernsey and Manx banknotes are not legal tender in England and Wales. However, they are not illegal under English law and creditors and traders may accept them if they so choose.'

&

'In Scotland and Northern Ireland no banknotes – not even ones issued in those jurisdictions are legal tender.[11] Scottish and Northern Irish notes are 'promissory notes' (defined as legal currency), essentially cheques made out from the bank to 'the bearer', as the wording on each note says. They have a similar legal standing to cheques or debit cards, in that their acceptability as a means of payment is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved, although Scots law requires any reasonable offer for settlement of a debt to be accepted.'

10. Good answer and it irritates us when we go to Blackpool "I can't take that Luv" and the solution is as always take your Bank of Scotland beer tokens to a pub which is happy to put your cash in their till

11. Porridge wog notes are technically not legal tender in Jockistan believe it or not and never have been bar two periods during WW1 & WW2.

Saying that, they are a form of money that can be exchanged for legal tender of the same amount at the headquarters of the issuing bank.

Bloody oatmeal ethnics. Next thing they'll want is independence! :D ;)

12. So why, other than sheer bloody mindedness, do they bother printing the damn things?

13. Coz you can fordge them and use them when in England (read Blackpool), silly boy! :D

14. national identity?