Scotland's First Minister Disrespects D Day Veterans

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Seadog, Jun 4, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In another thread, I said politicians shouldn't play a role in D Day commemerations. However, here is one jumped up politician who was invited but prefers to stuff his fat face at a golf dinner. And if the veterans want him at D Day commemerations, who am I to say otherwise?

http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;sessionid=N3AKSXFRFRDVHQFIQMGSM5WAVCBQWJVC?xml=/news/2004/06/04/wdday04.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/06/04/ixnewstop.html

W4NKER! :evil:

2. Purple_Flash

Purple_Flash War Hero Moderator

He's been shamed into giving up the chance of getting his snout in the the golfer's trough. Now he is going to to the D Day memorial after all. Not sure I'd want him after his obvious preference was not to bother himself until he was forced into going for the sake of votes...

3. how can you be shamed as a politician , they are all shameless PF , I'd wait till he turned up and then get all the old boys to totally blank him and not give the tw*t any photo opportunities.

4. Not exactly what you'd expect of someone in office. Not good for his public image at all but I'm sure the golf dinner will be a smashing do.... like the one next week and the week after! :?

5. I wonder if his p.a's ears are still ringing , cos it wont be his fault he double booked , i mean how was he to know the 6th of june was D-D ay?? :wink:

6. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3776163.stm

Is this reverse gear or a U turn?

7. Unknown_Quantity

Unknown_Quantity War Hero Moderator

WTF is the grand old duke doing away from Normandy that day?

8. Unknown_Quantity

9. msr

msr LE

Why would you want some 'here today, gone tomorrow' politician turning up anyway?

msr

10. OOPS! I wonder if it was another mistake by another PA accepting the golf dinner invitation for the Duke of York without mentioning to him that it would clash with D Day remembrance. :roll:
    Bet you 87pence and a bag of maltesers it was :p

11. i'll take that bet , and raise you a cadburys creme egg , and an old copy of whizzer and chips.

12. Unknown Quantity asks

He's a young duke but he's old enough not to have to follow his mother and father around. :wink: Or is UQ confusing York with Edinburgh?
    Maybe the DoY hasn't been asked.

About the insufferable McConnell's 180 about,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3776163.stm

Decent families? What the fcuk is that cliche all about? His response should have been:

'How could I have been such a tit? I will not now be attending the golf dinner, nor, given the offence my crass actions have caused would it be appropriate for me to attend the D Day ceremonies. I will resign and donate the First Minister's pension I will receive (while being paid as a back bencher) to a service charity. I am sorry.'

Is that coffee I smell?

13. thats a bloody joke and an insult. the bloater has no public respect as it stands and this just shows him up for the tosser her is!

14. Unknown_Quantity

What I was getting at was that as a Colonel-In-Chief of numerous regiments and a corps, should he not have been there? If not at the beaches, then with one of the regiments that landed in Normandy? I would rate even the smallest veterans reunion/memorial as more important than any poxy golf dinner.

Honorary appointment list available at: http://www.regiments.org/milhist/biography/royals/1960andY.htm

15. I wish I had the capacity to be surprised at the gross insensitivity of this man, but I am too far gone down the Avenue de Cynicisme to be taken aback at this sort of ignorance. I note his mentioning 'decent families'. Surely this fellow is not playing the class card? For 'decent' are we unreconstructed conservatives meant to read 'left-wing' or 'working class'? Mark my words, with the passing of the years, the fewer veterans left living amongst us will allow this sort of behaviour to occur more frequently. I suppose his sort were hedging their bets in the period 1939-1941 when Hitler and Stalin were allied. The dead and war veterans do not matter to such a political spiv as this one.