Scotland will have to apply for NATO membership.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Mr_Fingerz, Apr 10, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

2. And having kicked out Trident?

3. Not sure just how much Scotland has to offer NATO. Are the Z-berths still maintained?

4. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

well once the groat collapses they will welcome US bases and nukes along with hard currency.

5. Glasgow as a FIBUA Training Area?

• Like Like x 8
  6. A clue.....

NAPO

North Atlantic Porridge Organization

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lone Pipers for Live Firing Sniper Training?

• Like Like x 1
  8. I thought the acronym MAMBA more apposite; Miles And Miles of Bugger All.

9. Fixed it for you

• Like Like x 1
  10. Will they be relocating to the Pacific?

I like this from the linked Guardian article...
    I bet NATO are sh1tting themselves.

11. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Not really. There is a significant proportion of the SNP membership that are utterly against the party's (very new) stance on NATO. Indeed there were resignations about it.

I'd imagine Salmond is currently grinning from ear to ear. If an independent Scotland has to apply then either acceptance (as per new policy) or rejection (as per the hopes of SNP members) occurs then he simply claims to have tried for membership and accepts the result.

After all, NATO are hardly going to sit still when the red hordes coming piling into Grangemouth.

12. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

BBC News - Scottish independence: Alex Salmond 'certain' on Nato membership It has been discussed over on the Merged Scottish Independence thread.

Doesn't sound as if it'll be too difficult for them to get in.
    "Obviously, there would be great goodwill towards Scotland as it has already been a part of the alliance for so long and there is no reason to have any concern or objections to Scotland being a member, except if it is changing the terms of its membership as it would relate to the interests of other members, and that is what we would need to then look at more carefully."

What terms would it change? It won't have nukes and as has been pointed out before, would rUK really station their nukes in Scotland rather than bring them home?

13. That's quite an assumption. Scotland has been part of NATO only as a component of a greater entity, the United Kingdom. Take the Nuclear Deterrent and associated facilities out of the equation, and what assets are on offer to NATO?