Scotland Week Break

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by cheggarsRE, Jul 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all

looking for some help..

wanna go for week long break at end of July for anniversary in Scotland.

pref near beach / something pretty to gaze at etc. and would love a cottage.

anyone done likewise before and can recommend??

2. Cottaging in Scotland, can't say it appeals to be honest.

3. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

Depends what you want? Arran is nice and worth a visit down Wigton wayif you want quiet and not a lot of tourists or head up to Sky and Cape Wrath

4. There are plenty of firms on the net who rent out holiday cottages, and there are some good late deals to be had. My missus has booked using at least three different firms, and we have never been disappointed. What I would advise is to pick a place with plenty of room. We (me, wife, and dog) have just spent a week in a 300 year-old house on Dartmoor which sleeps 7, and paid around the same price as we would have done for a less-well placed cottage which could accommodate 4 at a push. Last place we stayed in Scotland was a listed building in Minnigaff, I can't find that particular cottage on any of the sites I have looked at, but would recommend the area.

5. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Plenty bonny accommadation up in Orkney, likewise up in Northwest Sutherland, remote, with beaches and beautiful scenery.

6. So the moral is keep away from the Weedgie side of the country :)

7. Edinburgh is good this time of year with plenty of options. The festival is on and I think the Tattoo starts end of month? You are near some good beaches, tourist attractions and it is a good central "base. You can do all the Trossachs, Loch Lomond, Stirling Castle tourist bollox and still have a good night out afterwards.

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

There are plenty of places relatively cheap if you want self catering. I use a place in Glen Isla as a stalking base, good value for money and sleeps six!

9. Don't forget your series of innoculations.
    Take your own water.Do not drink from taps.
    A portable generator is advisable anywhere more than 10 miles from a large town.
    Don't laugh at the men wearing skirts.They get a little upset.
    Avoid discussing Bannockburn,Cullodden Moor.
    Whenever possible mention in a loud voice that the Highland Clearances were undertaken for the "Good of the locals"
    Do not be surprised if offered deep fried Mars Bars.They are a speciality foodstuff,dating back several years.
    Avoid Iron Bru.It is made from the hair of dead Ginger people.

10. Plockton, Morar, Mallaig, Lochinver, Scourie, Durness, Tongue and Bettyhill. All have beautiful beaches and plenty of accomodation, and spectacular landscape. Enjoy

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Just the doe eyed local lassies. Flame haired the lot!

12. 1. Yes tried it

2. Don't bother going unless you are an aboriginal they will hate you and just take your money

3. Try Cornwall, its a nicer class of hate

13. Bannockburn ???

I thought they won that 1