Scotland to Ireland bridge

It has been reported that Sarin has been dumped in the trench. The tonnage of munitions and toxic chemicals amounts to over a million tons. ( Daily Mail) disturbing any of that, and the Coronavirus that is ravaging across these islands will pale into insignificance to the disaster that will literally explode, if disturbed....... A bridge............. It Aint going to happen!:eek:
Doesn't sarin break down relatively quickly?

Anyway, I don't understand all this negativity. If Boris wants it to happen, make it happen. Let's get (the latest) Boris bridge done.

Doesn't sarin break down relatively quickly?

Anyway, I don't understand all this negativity. If Boris wants it to happen, make it happen. Let's get (the latest) Boris bridge done.

No argument from me, as I will long dead and gone when it opens. As a previous Arsser proposes, plough the money into bigger and better ferries, made in the UK, by UK workers, and able to convert into troop ships, as and when required. Another Arsser also mentions the violent storms and high seas that blight the waters. How about a tunnel, why not, we seem to quite good at that, the English channel, the cross rail route, and a little known new tunnel, about 16 miles long of deep bore 24 foot wide new sewer. that follows the same course of the river, deep below the Thames We have the techknowledgy, we have the manpower, and it seems, the money.

No argument from me, as I will long dead and gone when it opens. As a previous Arsser proposes, plough the money into bigger and better ferries, made in the UK, by UK workers, and able to convert into troop ships, as and when required. Another Arsser also mentions the violent storms and high seas that blight the waters. How about a tunnel, why not, we seem to quite good at that, the English channel, the cross rail route, and a little known new tunnel, about 16 miles long of deep bore 24 foot wide new sewer. that follows the same course of the river, deep below the Thames We have the techknowledgy, we have the manpower, and it seems, the money.
Yes you're right! With Boris positivity even the geological problems of boring a 30 mile long, 400 metres deep tunnel through a hard and complex rock structure will melt away. All it takes is belief and good old British bulldog spirit. To hell with the cost.

Yes you're right! With Boris positivity even the geological problems of boring a 30 mile long, 400 metres deep tunnel through a hard and complex rock structure will melt away. All it takes is belief and good old British bulldog spirit. To hell with the cost.
Plus pluck and good old British spunk, which Boris seems to have aplenty...

Just ring Elon Musk.

Niamac

GCM
This is probably how HS2 started 10 years ago. A SOGI (remember them - Senior Officer's Good Idea); lots of money spent on consultants, feasibility studies, a well paid hierarchy of cronies and enough money wasted that we get into the "cost more to cancel" stage in about a decade.

if we're going to get carbon neutral in the timescales being discussed we need to radically reduce the number of short haul flights we're using as a country. a bridge between Scotland and Ireland with a road and rail deck would offer a fabulous opportunity to do so.

i think it's a great idea and shall write to my MP to tell him so

also, i could suckle at that fat bitches teet all the way into retirement; early retirement if i was clever about it

I'm open to the idea but would mean the duelling of the A76 all the way though, If the Chinese can do it in 9yrs and over a longer distance then why shouldnt it be looked at can't see the design being much different to the Macau-Hongkong bridge mix of tunnel and bridge, And either a toil road system or charge for non UK reg'd vehicles.

Hong Kong–Zhuhai–Macau Bridge - Wikipedia

Tunnel would still be the better option, unless there is a geological reason why that couldn't happen.

Dredd

LE
If you want the shortest distance then it's Larne to Portpatrick or North Coast to Mull of Kintyre. Much infrastructure needed on both sides. Portpatrick would be ruined in my view. Fix NI infrastructure first. ( York St/M3/Westlink interchange for a start) Rant over!
And if that were the case, there would also need to be a connecting bridge from Mull of Kintyre to . . . well, there is nowhere from there as it is just as far to get to Girvan, if not longer, which would need to have a bridge otherwise it is a long way up and then back down to get around the peninsula..

The more obvious location on a strictly "how close is it" basis would be Portpatrick to Carrickfergus or Bangor. But on the Scottish side it would also need a significant improvement on the road network connection to get to the bridge.

All very exciting as a concept but really a non-starter for oh-so-many reasons. For once I agree with Wee Nippy - this is a distraction which is being used to cover for other things and is providing chaff for things that may yet come up. It is an expensive waste of time and it is a mystery to me that on the same week as they have been forced to make a difficult decision to spaff yet more cash into HS2 just to get it done, this white elephant would also rear it's head as this just gives more ammunition to criticise the government rather than laud them. It's fixing a problem that isn't really there, and there are far more deserving causes the proposed cost could be directed towards.

Dredd

LE
I'm open to the idea but would mean the duelling of the A76 all the way though, If the Chinese can do it in 9yrs and over a longer distance then why shouldnt it be looked at can't see the design being much different to the Macau-Hongkong bridge mix of tunnel and bridge, And either a toil road system or charge for non UK reg'd vehicles.

Hong Kong–Zhuhai–Macau Bridge - Wikipedia

Why? Because we have just closed the Queensferry crossing due to falling debris, due to what a spokesgob this morning said was unique circumstances regarding the weather conditions. So unique in fact, that it was closed last year for the exact same reason. So we can reasonably expect that uniqueness to be repeated annually.

Latest Threads