Scotland to Ireland bridge

A report on the BBC says that a Scotalnd Ireland bridge is technically possible, and more affordable than one over the English Channel to France.
link here Scotland - Ireland bridge 'is feasible'

The article quotes an economist as saying "A bridge from Portpatrick would be about 21 miles - that is not really effective road transport." However, other countries have managed to make longer bridges
(list here List of longest bridges - Wikipedia ). I have used the Hangzhou Bay Bridge in China, which is just over 20 miles, without any problems.

The architect, Professor Alan Dunlop, said "It would send out a dramatic marker in aspiration for the country going into the 21st Century", but the economist thinks the £15bn would be better spent elsewhere.

I hope it will be built.

but the economist thinks the £15bn would be better spent elsewhere.
If the current quote is £15bn, you can be sure the actual cost would be at least 5x that!

wheel

LE
A report on the BBC says that a Scotalnd Ireland bridge is technically possible, and more affordable than one over the English Channel to France.

The article quotes an economist as saying "A bridge from Portpatrick would be about 21 miles - that is not really effective road transport." However, other countries have managed to make longer bridges
(list here List of longest bridges - Wikipedia ). I have used the Hangzhou Bay Bridge in China, which is just over 20 miles, without any problems.

The architect, Professor Alan Dunlop, said "It would send out a dramatic marker in aspiration for the country going into the 21st Century", but the economist thinks the £15bn would be better spent elsewhere.

I hope it will be built.
I feel The Emperor presence on this one. Redundancies at ferry terminals, closed to high sided vehicles every time there is a puff of wind.

Come on, don't exaggerate; four times the quote...
That will be the revised cost at the start of the project. The finished cost would be inestimable.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
It remains my great hope that Northern Ireland will snap off one day and drift away, taking the bigots, theocratic delusionals and anti-abortionists to a new home in the middle of the chilly North Atlantic.

It being tethered to the mainland by a bridge would make this much, much less likely and for that reason, I'm out.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer

I hope it will be built.
Why would anyone want to do that in the first place, let alone the cost?

It remains my great hope that Northern Ireland will snap off one day and drift away, taking the bigots, theocratic delusionals and anti-abortionists to a new home in the middle of the chilly North Atlantic.

It being tethered to the mainland by a bridge would make this much, much less likely and for that reason, I'm out.
Are you saying to join America?

Blogg

LE
£15Bn (lets just call it £90Bn shall we?) to build a bridge from somewhere in Scotland (although many argue D&G is so full of posh English it barely qualifies) to Northern Ireland aka somewhere else in the UK which may, or may not, have some form of government according to wind direction.

Right.

I can only conclude there must quite a good living to be made from feasibility studies of bonkers projects that are patently DoA

Go away. It’s a stupid idea.:)
I think it's a fantastic idea, particularly if we knock it down towards the end of the Marching Season. ;)

I hope it will be built.
I was intrigued by this snippet
He said: "The challenges of it are much less than Boris' idea of building across the English Channel.
"We don't have the weather problems and it is a not as significant or as large a shipping lane.

I'm beginning to suspect that Professor Dunlop has never made a winter sailing on the North Channel.

Maple

LE

The German High Seas Fleet scuttling of 1919 would seem to be the way ahead

NSP

LE
I feel The Emperor presence on this one. Redundancies at ferry terminals, closed to high sided vehicles every time there is a puff of wind.
On the plus side it might see large caravans blown into the sea...

Latest Threads