Scotland need a new Coach

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Quite right and I am surprised it has taken so long for this to happen.

IMHO Scotland's results over the past couple of seasons have not really reflected on their ability. Honestly we are not great, but equally we are not that bad (cue howls of derision from the guru et all :) ).

I just hope we can get a coach who imbues Scotland with the desire to get over the try line!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It was only a matter of time. I blame the players for the failure to carry out the plans that were worked on.
There has always seemed to be a high basic error rate for players when they pull of a Blue Jersey for some reason, dropped passes, missed tackles etc.

Nothing that a coach can actually do anything about once they cross the whitewash onto the pitch.

Will be interesting to see who gets the post, suspect Townend is being groomed for post but too early for him, think plan would have been for him to take over after AR after next RWC.

There has always seemed to be a high basic error rate for players when they pull of a Blue Jersey for some reason, dropped passes, missed tackles etc.

Nothing that a coach can actually do anything about once they cross the whitewash onto the pitch.

Will be interesting to see who gets the post, suspect Townend is being groomed for post but too early for him, think plan would have been for him to take over after AR after next RWC.
Lineen is available straight away, which IMO would be a mistake. Mallett is already being touted, another mistake.

Agreed. I think Robinson was a good Coach, let down by a mediocre Team. There is a limit to what any Coach can achieve. You could make Sir Alex Ferguson the new Scotland Manager(although it would have to be at gunpoint)and our Football team would still be shite.

In fairness, at least the Scottish Rugby Team manages to qualify for World Cups and even(very)occasionally beats world class teams. So they are far more successful than our Wendy Ball Team.

Which could make finding a replacement for Robinson difficult, as the position is something of a poison chalice at the moment.

Can't polish a turd.

And yes, I know you can roll it in glitter.

Bugger, that's roughly what I intended to say, but you did it, quicker and better.

Plenty of experts on this site who could step in. Judging by some of the posts, there are a few who could take any team and build them into world beaters within a season. Look out, All Blacks, the Arrse Coaches are coming!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Can't polish a turd.

And yes, I know you can deep fry it in batter.
What do you think we sell to tourists as deep fried mars bars!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Agreed. I think Robinson was a good Coach, let down by a mediocre Team. There is a limit to what any Coach can achieve. You could make Sir Alex Ferguson the new Scotland Manager(although it would have to be at gunpoint)and our Football team would still be shite.

In fairness, at least the Scottish Rugby Team manages to qualify for World Cups and even(very)occasionally beats world class teams. So they are far more successful than our Wendy Ball Team.

Which could make finding a replacement for Robinson difficult, as the position is something of a poison chalice at the moment.
It is amazing to think that we have a team that can beat Pumas in Argentina, beat Australia home and away and the Boks (though not this time) and yet they have consistently failed to achive in the 6N

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Interesting listening to Gavin Hastings this morning, two good points raised, wlthough some big names being mentioned, would they really want the Scotland job and Scotland suffering due to lack of players as only two pro teams.

Apparently if he had been sacked it would have cost the SRU £900,000 in compo. He has agreed to a lower payout.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Is John Jeffrey still available? Or perhaps John Beattie, both been involved in coaching and would get a wee bit of respect from current players.

Is John Jeffrey still available? Or perhaps John Beattie, both been involved in coaching and would get a wee bit of respect from current players.
JJ was coaching the U20's and then went to to be age grade manager and he is currently on the IRB board representing the SRU and is acting chairman of the referees selection committee and IRB Council member for Scotland, and John Ross Beattie stopped coaching 2 years ago after he stepped down from West of Scotland due to his radio/tv commitments, playing with his band (happy birthday JB), where I regularly meet him at the pro games in my capacity as match official coach.

Hiring a silly little Englishman was never really going to work in Scotland was it? I've met him - he IS silly, he IS small and he IS unquestionably English. Time for some Celtic blood?

Hiring a silly little Englishman was never really going to work in Scotland was it? I've met him - he IS silly, he IS small and he IS unquestionably English. Time for some Celtic blood?
You sir, are a knob, you don't know what you are talking about. I have met him many times and chatted for about rugby and life in general, he is a switched on guy and is acknowledged, by many over the world, as one of the best current coaches in the world. His problem was that the squad of players he had to deal with are/were ******* useless.

Are Celts better at turd polishing then ?