Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scotland & Independence

jbgaviation

Clanker
So Ms Sturgeon banking the drum, again for Scottish Independence & a return to the EU.

Lets say the SNP do a great campaign and the jocks vote to leave, what then?

The military leave Scotland?
The loss of jobs & revenue?

The 999 Emergency Services no longer Home Office Approved so no job changes to other (UK) forces.

The loss of The Civil Service in Scotland.

The loss of the banking & financial companies who will leave the independent Scotland.

All this and Scotland having to raise a defence force, no money from Westminster, higher taxes and loss of free higher education etc.

And Ms Sturgeon thinks this is a good thing and will blame Westminster for all that goes wrong.
Of course this does depend on Scotland getting another "once in a generation" vote.

Will the EU want Scotland?

And if it all goes well I can see my Grandmother being born in Glasgow gets me a Scottish Passport, but doubt I will be applying too soon!

Trouble is so many Scots are wearing blinkers and believe all the bull that comes out of Wee Jimmy Crankies gob. I really worry for the Union and as for the Jocks getting into the EU, that ain’t going to happen if the country is skint.

If the English had wanted to break the union she would want to stay, its the only thing she has to prevent seeing the shit state scotland is in, hate the English, who to be honest are sick to death of the whine coming out of her gob.and would be happy to see the jocks go.maybe then we could have free uni's and meds

W P

LE
A majority of Scots may well vote for it no matter what, but I suspect that if it actually happened an even larger number of Scots would wish it hadn't. It's that second figure that ultimately matters, but unfortunately it's not the one that will determine whether it happens.

If it's about looking forward to joining the EU they'd better make bloody sure they can first. Spain may be unlikely to want to accommodate the wishes of a breakaway state.

They need to put aside the flags and the grievance-mongering and the exaggerated intra-Union rivalry generally and make a cold, hard analysis of what situation is likely to be most consistent with Scotland's long-term interest. Personally I can't see how anything beyond "devo-max" could be prudent (especially with the SNP in charge of the process) or worth the downsides. Emotionally satisfying, yes. But then Neil Oliver has an emotional view of the issue too, but a quite different one:
neil oliver en7vt_mweaaw1il.png

Scotland (2018 figures)

Population 5,438,100
GDP (millions) £161,295
GDP per capita £29,660

England (2018 figures)

Population 55,977,178
GDP (millions) £1,839,264
GDP per capita £32,857

Take away all the jobs, subsidies, support and income from the rest of the UK and I suspect the figures will look radically different.

The EU won't want another Romania or Greece sponging off the rest...

Now that we have left only 9 countries are net contributors. The remaining 18 are net beneficiaries...

18794.jpeg

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
As this is already well discussed on the Scottish Politics thread I will leave this thread to the English.

Well if they don’t want our money, they’ll be skint. There’ll be none coming from oil and gas, that’s gone. EU have told them to join, they need to have a certain GDP and that ain’t going to happen! And the EU ain’t going to let them in skint!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I was thinking along similar lines, perhaps a Mod will punt it.
No, leave it to the English to bump their gums.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I am English, I read the Scottish Politics thread avidly but refrain from commenting.
Your truly a Mash Bastad
Thank you.

Trouble is so many Scots are wearing blinkers and believe all the bull that comes out of Wee Jimmy Crankies gob. I really worry for the Union and as for the Jocks getting into the EU, that ain’t going to happen if the country is skint.
Not quite.

The SNP for many seems to be the only viable party as the more traditional Labour voters haven’t got anybody reasonably capable. That’s not saying the snp are capable, but less sh*t than Labour.

You’ll find many SNP supporters who don’t follow the SNPs ultimate aim.

With us leaving the EU, expect a flurry of activity by the SNP and then a slow death as people get on with their lives.

The EU has a baked many separatist groups to thrive. Allows people to indulge in their fantasies whilst avoiding such important questions as who the f**k is going to pay for it.

Sturgeon has made a big deal about Scotland wanting to stay in the EU. Most people don’t give a sh*t as judged by the p1ss poor turnout in Scotland for the referendum 4 years ago.

The SNP thrive on division. If they felt there was political gain in victimising people with blonde hair and blue eyes they’d advocate it.

Latest Threads