Scotish Independence and its effect on our Armed Forces

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by brecon_billy, May 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sitting here at work a thought crossed my mind. IF independence were to be granted to Scotland what effect would it have on our Armed Forces?

Would all the Scots in our Forces be given the choice of continuing to serve in the British Army or would they automaticaly be transferred to the new Scottish Army?

Would Scotland actually raise its own Armed Forces or would the British Armed Forces still be responsible for its protection?

It would be interesting to hear peoples views on the subject....

2. Oh give it a rest will you?

3. Never going to happen. :roll:

4. A shortage of PTI's and blokes called 'Jock' I would wager.

5. Won't happen. If it did, Scotland would be able to afford an "Army" about the size of Ireland's.

Remember, there are 60 (+) million people in the UK and only 4 million of them live in Scotland. That's not a very big pool of people and businesses to raise tax from.

6. I know its never going to happen but I was just putting it out there as a "What If....?" scenario

What if Scotland was granted full Independence but with certain conditions attached such as the British Army remaining under the full control of Westminster. What would happen if we got involved in another Iraq or Afghanistan scenario which Westminster supported but Scotland opposed?

7. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Five million, not four. And we would have a nine percent share of existing UK military assets.

8. What, a Warrior and a pack of ORP?

To be fair, if it did happen, then the Scots would have to fund an Army from scratch, I can't imagine the Army letting any of its assets fall to a foreign power.

It won't happen anyway.

9. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

But would we want them or rather want to afford them? As our military intervention policy would not be as one of the Big 5, I doubt it.

Happy to see a small standing Army with staff positions at NATO as other minor countries do.

10. in_the_cheapseats

It would be required to by law.

Although I think you may be right about the likelihood of it happening if Westminster Labour plays smart in its funding

11. Sixty

That's the SNP position at the moment I believe but equipped with our share of the UK assets.

And getting shot of Trident as well which I'm assuming you'd want back Prae.

12. Five if you like. What does a 9% of an aircraft carrier look like? The SNP would be keen to see the Nuclear subs go of course.

9% of the British Army would amount to 9900.
    The regular army of Ireland has 8,500 personnel[4] (plus a reserve army of 13,000) according to Wiki so much as I suggested.

Five million people is not a lot (tax wise) to maintain expensive assets such as Fast jets with so those would probably be grounded fairly soon.

13. in_the_cheapseats

What on earth are they going to do with everything they get then? They wouldn't be needed. Sell it off quick for a fast buck?

14. Sixty

The asset share figure doesn't include soldiers. They, being individuals, can serve wherever they wish.

15. Sixty

In fact, if you can be arsed, the proposals are here at 5.4.2

It's remarkably dull reading.

However, I'm heading out for dinner this evening so it'll have to do.