Scotch Eggs.

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Chef, Oct 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Help! I need advice, I am teaching Chef minor to make Scotch eggs, no probs there, but Mrs Chef wants some to be baked rather than deep fried, as she wants the healthy option.

I have heard of this strange practice, but never tried it myself.

What timings and temps should I be looking at?

2. Probably worth doing the same as you'd do meatballs, or a little less time in the oven as the centre is already cooked. May even be worth doing them in a roasting tin and making a sauce with the juices.

3. Tell her to eat the fried ones, only fewer of them.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 20 to 25 at 180c

5. Thank you all very much.

Truly Arrse is the fount of all human knowledge.

6. Tried at 180 but nearer 40 mins, they don't colour up like deep fried ones, but taste very nice.

Once again thanks.

7. Gas or electric fan assisted?

8. Mrs Nig bakes them in a baking dish, fanforced oven 180" for 25 mins, she uses fine pork mince instead of sausage meat, varies the seasoning , try adding parmesan cheese to the meat, a great cold snack !!

• Like Like x 1
  9. I read somewhere about Scotch Eggs being made with a Black Pudding outer shell instead of sausage meat. That has to be worth trying.

10. Sadly, they tend to be a bit dried out.

11. Try putting a pan of water in the bottom of the oven

12. Away, you rogue, blasphemous baker of Scotch Eggs.

You'll be BBQ-ing the ******* next.

13. Never tried it, i know it works for bread. Give it a go, if it doesn't work nothing lost right? If it does you can apologise later

14. Got the mind working now. Scotch egg with a dollop of ketchup and wrapped in bread dough, baked for 20 minutes or so. That should do the trick. Bung a couple of those in your lunch pail with a bottle of Nuclear Broon and you're good to go.