Scores killed in Baghdad attacks

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Sep 14, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

When is this going to end? How is it going to end?
  2. PTP, you know as well as I do that as with the Protestants and Catholics in the Christian faith, Sunni & Shia Muslims hate each other and have 'tribal memories' going back centuries. It's impossible to apply logic to such hatred, so I fear this will never end. So long as one person is willing to take up arms against another purely because of their faith there will always be an escalating reaction... :(
  3. PTP, it's most likely to end when they have a strong leader. Saddam was a class 'A' cnut, but he ruled with an iron fist and there were no inter-faith problems.

Same happened in the Balkans under Tito.

They need an exceptionally good leader who they can trust and rally behind. Can't see that happening in the next few years. Perhaps it will all boil up into another arab vs arab war and then they will settle down.

That region does seem to have a pattern of peace then war, peace then war.

Oh chri*t
  5. Couldn't agree more. Why many times democracy in NI was stripped (I mean direct governing of NI from London)? Because autaritarian mothods in this concrete case was (is?) more efficient. Let's recognise obvious fact, that on this stage of development of Iraqi society democracy is less efficient than dictatorship.

7. In the terms you are talking about, dictatorship is always more efficient, that which needs doing is done without the requirement for political sanction. Hence, when things go belly up, goverments introduce states of emergency. Dictatorship within democracy as a function of that democracy.
  8. I wonder how the Shites and moderate Sunnis view Al Zarqawi's declaration of war? Couldn't see anything on Al-Jazeera about it. Hopefully they see a foreigner declaring war on Iraqis?