Scooter ride USA

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
Just when you were cashing in your winnings thinking diehard had passed on to the final RV, I pop up.
at the moment I am dear hint to see if a charity ride USA is possible.
most guys would use big 4 stroke motorcycles where I intend to use a lambretta/vespa or scomadi.
I have to get things right before hand as we all know what happens if I don't do proper planning and permissions.
SO, can someone tell me if there is an equivalent American charity to ssafa?
I also wanted to know if anyone wanted to join me next summer in a ride from New York to L A.
in fact because it is happening over the line I will need significant help from our cousins across the atlantic, this will be mostly logistical support and mechanical wizards who know how to make a lambretta ride smoothly.
I have approached ssafa and they are really interested in this venture. Apart from what needs to be done to keep moving I need to find sponsors willing to help if someone is injured or sick. The one thing stopping me right now is my health and the short time left to me, hopefully I will sorted very soon with an icd.
help has been offered from the police in NY state where my cousin is an officer, we will then be under an umbrella of police from different states and counties across the country. Some accommodation will be via po!ice help and some as guests of the ussaf where my father was a colonel and before his death was honoured by induction to the Air Commando Hall of fame. I still have friends within the forces and assistance is offered from the US air force equivalent of the garrison Sgt/major.
I will certainly need help so am open to offers, especially someone who can locate the scooters in the states, it is possible to hitch hike on a military aircraft, but I need to look further into this.
as I get more info and help I will pass this on.
Thanks for reading this

There are a couple of kiwi’s who are, or have recently finished, the trans America trail on Honda Groms. It may be worth hitting up Honda corporate, Kawasaki Corporate, or Bennelli Corporate for bikes as they all have similar monkey bikes and would use the exposure. Added to which getting corporate help means free dealer access for repairs along the way.

The only charitable associations I can think of off the top of my head are the officially run Veterans Administration, then the charitable wounded warrior organization.

I am away on holiday at the moment using an iPaddle, which is painful, so send me a PM in a week to remind me and I will ask around when I get back home.

Medical insurance should be cheap is has you would only need to take out holiday type medical insurance.......but make sure it is top notch.

Insurance for scooters and bikes for furriners can ask my insurer about. My GS costs me around $1000 a year as an old fart, a Grom will cost my 16 year old $800 a year. Remembering that those are tacked onto the back end of the car policy which gives the main 3rd party and medical insurance coverage.

Places to stay along most routes are plentiful and cheap.

When I get home I will chat with my former MARSOC mate. He was posted to Wounded Warrior for his last 6 months so he may have contacts, or not. Also they have a riders thing like the Legion lot who I am sure would happily ride along in many locations.

Forget the Italian scoots....... get a Honda.

OK they haven't got the style, but they're more reliable, safer, with their bigger wheels.

I've been running a 125 for 2 years, and love it to bits, never had to be rescued, touch wood.

Best of luck with your plans.

dontenn

War Hero
Sounds fun hope it takes off

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
If you are planning on using an old Lambretta then the U.S. Lammy club mght be useful.... Welcome to the Lambretta Club USA
Or if you are planning on using one of the new models then try for a bit of sponsorship here... Contact
Thank you for the link. I sent a email to scomadi asking if they had any TL 300 OR 400 Models they used as demonstrators, but they haven't replied. It's a pity really because both models can comfortably cruise all day long at 70mph and both have top speeds in excess of 95mph.
if they get back to me and can help I will have them shipped over well in advance just in case of any customs issues.. I read about someone doing route 66 on a lambretta which was almost scuppered because of confusion issues with the mode of transport. If you say scooter to most Americans they go full on auto thinking that they are harley Davidson m/bikes because they call them scooters.
another brucie bonus is my old next door neighbour who emigrated to the USA about 10 years ago, he is a motorcycle mechanic and I assisted him to build a Harley in his living room

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
There are a couple of kiwi’s who are, or have recently finished, the trans America trail on Honda Groms. It may be worth hitting up Honda corporate, Kawasaki Corporate, or Bennelli Corporate for bikes as they all have similar monkey bikes and would use the exposure. Added to which getting corporate help means free dealer access for repairs along the way.

The only charitable associations I can think of off the top of my head are the officially run Veterans Administration, then the charitable wounded warrior organization.

I am away on holiday at the moment using an iPaddle, which is painful, so send me a PM in a week to remind me and I will ask around when I get back home.

Medical insurance should be cheap is has you would only need to take out holiday type medical insurance.......but make sure it is top notch.

Insurance for scooters and bikes for furriners can ask my insurer about. My GS costs me around $1000 a year as an old fart, a Grom will cost my 16 year old $800 a year. Remembering that those are tacked onto the back end of the car policy which gives the main 3rd party and medical insurance coverage.

Places to stay along most routes are plentiful and cheap.

When I get home I will chat with my former MARSOC mate. He was posted to Wounded Warrior for his last 6 months so he may have contacts, or not. Also they have a riders thing like the Legion lot who I am sure would happily ride along in many locations.
Thanks for the info, I was wondering how I was going to get medical insurance while riding. I was unaware it was part of the policy.
I do have a question regarding insurance though. Do you know of any insurers that may be willing to take on someone that is a high risk customer?
I have been offered help in paying for the policy by a premiership football player who I used to look after.

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
I shall do that
I know that scomadi and royal alloy have had a major bust up with regards to manufacturing. They have now sorted this out but info is still scarce. I was hoping to go along the scomadi route because it is a British design and looks good. A four stroke engine would have the advantage of lower maintenance and/or the risk of breakdown.
Might be worth a shout to MotoGB as well, they are the UK distributors of Royal Alloy scooters (look like Scomadi`s).... ROYAL ALLOY Motorcycles & Scooters Distributor | MotoGB

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
I have just registered the event with ssafa. When I get all the necessary bumf from them I shall start to make this a truly unique event.

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
When this is officially recognised I will require !massive help and support from all quarters, so if you want to help in anyway that would be great. Hopefully some of you may even be able to join the ride itself.
One thing I have to do though is find someone willing to take over if my health declines. We have managed to stop the decline and if it stays that way then I will have a few more years and make it to becoming a grumpy old pensioner.

Latest Threads