... Scooby doo where are you?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Harry_Boomers, Aug 19, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. During the nineties I found my self on a MAOT Det in and around the Carlisle area. One of our locations was RAF Spadeadam. Now this place was a creepy little Airfield stuck in the middle of some god forsaken forest. I half expected Scooby doo and Shaggy to turn up as the place did have that air of mystery about it.

Now my Det commander was convinced that this place was the obvious site for the government to hide UFO’S. He even managed to convince the Yos there were weird silhouettes of “things” creeping about the forest.

Has anybody else been in creepy locations ?

2. RAF Ash, in deepest Kent
    Very strange place.

3. Did that place have lots of bunkers?

4. Site Guards in BFG in the 80s patrolling the wire could have sworn we were being watched.

5. I once had to "babysit" (for continuity reasons) a dead body overnight in a morgue. It was very creepy.

6. RAF Spadeadam is weird, lots n lots of trees with concrete (launch??) sites buried in amongst the undergrowth a relic from the missile testing days in the 50s & 60s... but what goes on there now?????

7. Bergen Hohne - The Belsen camp area is well spooky.

8. I can't be the only person here who went past Greenham Common when all those witches were camped outside. They were terrifyingly spooky.

9. The Russian POW cemetery at the back of Belsen… 50000 in the size of a tennis court.

10. The Common was great fun back in the Lesbian times.
    Good deal of fun to be had once we were out of uniform and down-town Newbury on an evening.
    I've been told it's all a business park and car storage areas
    Another spooky area RAF Thatcham. nasty spooky little place

11. Killymurphy-the "pet sematary"

12. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

excuse my ignorance, but what (or where) is BFG? and what was strange about RAF Ash?

13. RAF Sculthorpe.
    The inbreeding had to be seen to be believed, perhaps the origin of chav.

14. BAOR late 80's. As part of 22Sigs we were on Flying F[ckup or somesuch and deployed to one of those walled farms they have over here.

Now this was a very spooky place.

There was an old disused chapel on the grounds with the usual assortment of plaster saints and crosses in it, but all the statues had been decapitated!!!

There were crosses in little shrines all over the place and even one huge one on the main doors of the wall.

The place had such an effect on the whole troop (including the grownups) that for ages afterwards a bat motif was included in nearly all our troops doings.

Any one else out there remember the Batcave?