Scimtar how new?

Discussion in 'RAC' started by Chef, Jun 12, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. An article on SCM Mick Flynn, the army's most decorated soldier, quotes him as saying,

'Then a thirdRPG hit us. I thanked God we were in a Scimitar;older British tanks would not have withstood that.'

I thought the CVRT range came out in the late fifties early sixties. Do we really have AFVs older than Scimitar still in frontline service?

2. Er,I think he was pointing out that older style recce vehicles would have been penetrated,such as Ferret or Saladin.
    And being petrol as well, would have gone up in smoke no doubt.
    Mick Flynn was on CVR(T) from 1980 onwards.

3. Stick to burning food.

4. That makes sense, thanks for that. Target stop it was a genuine question and no a wind up.

P.S I don't burn the food, but for some people I use my special reserve sauce.

5. Scimitar is 1970s but the ones on ops are somewhat up-armoured. Also, the original CVR(T) was petrol engined but they were up-graded with diesels in the last decade.

The Army also operates the FV430 series which date back to the 1960's, although these have been heavily upgraded as well, though some older models may remain.

6. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

The Scimitars currently in Afghanistan went out late 2008 / early 2009. At a 15/19H / Light Dragoons reunion in 2008 I was told that when LD went out for Panther's claw, they'd be the first recipients of a tranche of 104 "new" (rebuild) Scimitars with complete new everything.

7. That's the first I've heard of that. Latest here (QOY) is still that CVRT is for the chop by c. 2013, to be replaced by FRES scout (or hover tanks).

8. Look forward to still using them 2030 then!

9. You'll be lucky...GD aren't due to complete the Scout demonstration phase until then!

10. Likewise.

[word-limit filling wibble]