• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Scimtar how new?

An article on SCM Mick Flynn, the army's most decorated soldier, quotes him as saying,

'Then a thirdRPG hit us. I thanked God we were in a Scimitar;older British tanks would not have withstood that.'

I thought the CVRT range came out in the late fifties early sixties. Do we really have AFVs older than Scimitar still in frontline service?

Er,I think he was pointing out that older style recce vehicles would have been penetrated,such as Ferret or Saladin.
And being petrol as well, would have gone up in smoke no doubt.
Mick Flynn was on CVR(T) from 1980 onwards.

An article on SCM Mick Flynn, the army's most decorated soldier, quotes him as saying,

'Then a thirdRPG hit us. I thanked God we were in a Scimitar;older British tanks would not have withstood that.'

I thought the CVRT range came out in the late fifties early sixties. Do we really have AFVs older than Scimitar still in frontline service?
Stick to burning food.

Er,I think he was pointing out that older style recce vehicles would have been penetrated,such as Ferret or Saladin.
And being petrol as well, would have gone up in smoke no doubt.
Mick Flynn was on CVR(T) from 1980 onwards.
That makes sense, thanks for that. Target stop it was a genuine question and no a wind up.

P.S I don't burn the food, but for some people I use my special reserve sauce.

Scimitar is 1970s but the ones on ops are somewhat up-armoured. Also, the original CVR(T) was petrol engined but they were up-graded with diesels in the last decade.

The Army also operates the FV430 series which date back to the 1960's, although these have been heavily upgraded as well, though some older models may remain.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
The Scimitars currently in Afghanistan went out late 2008 / early 2009. At a 15/19H / Light Dragoons reunion in 2008 I was told that when LD went out for Panther's claw, they'd be the first recipients of a tranche of 104 "new" (rebuild) Scimitars with complete new everything.

Latest Threads