Scientology - Some Freaky S**t!

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Mango_Juice, Sep 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just seen the BBC Programme on Scientology. All i can say! Nevermind a career in the Army. I've seen the light; Where do i sign up? i want to be as cool as Tom "if they don't like Scientology, well, then, f*** you. Really. F*** you" Cruise!

now fire away i haven't had a good laugh in a while. :)
  2. Nutters, just like the one where all the mouthpieces have to be blokes who can't have sex and where they believe in intercession from beyond the grave and a number entertain themselves with children.

Religion, you can stick it where the sun don't shine.
  3. I shouldn't call Scientology a religion. It's won tax exempt religious status from the IRS after a long legal battle in the US but I don't consider it a real religion. It's popular with certain Hollywood types, but I don't consider that a recommendation.
  4. i'm all for 'live and let live', but the fact that some people, in fact quite a lot of people (100,000+ iirc) could actually believe this shit does actually genuinely freak me out. how deluded do you have to be! things like this are dangerous and are like a disease of the mind. Well i suppose if that psychotic fudgepacker is in then that is a bad sign for a start.
  5. i love that episode. the line "this is what they actually believe" is a right touch. peeople would probably think they were taking the piss.
  6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

As mad sky-fairy lunacy goes, it's up there with Christianity for sure, and getting richer by the minute.
  7. Never been involved with it personally, but in the 80's I knew a few people who were Scientologists in London and they were a great bunch who liked going out on the lash as much as anyone.

I think some of the Scientology stuff can help people, but the rest of it seems to be a way for the 'Org' to vacuum money out of members' pockets.
  8. I admire a finely-crafted argument, of which that is not an example. Am I correct in thinking that it's been declared a cult in Germany and banned? One could expect them to be a bit sensitive about personality cults, look where the last one left wit, in ruins.
  9. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

Hey - ever been to East Grinstead...?

I couldn't help thinking while watching the programme that any organisation which is that secretive has too much to hide. That and the constant recording and subsequent, spiteful leaking to the press of former members' most private issues convinces me of one thing: Scientology is not a religion.

No doubt someone will be along shortly to film me...
  10. I used to work in East Grinstead, back in the early 80's. You couldn't walk down the high street without being asked by them if you wanted to take part in a questionnaire. In my opinion it killed the place, haven't been back since about '89/90
  11. Fcuking amuaters, mate; when Scientology starts a few Crusades and slaughters hundreds of thousands of people, then they can play with the Big Boys!

Scientologists = Religious Walts.
  12. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Fascinating programme. I always wondered where the Stasi lads went after the Wall came down.
  13. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

I was around the place a lot in the early 1990s and got to know quite a few locals. More than a couple told me that they knew people who'd got involved with such 'religions' and would go from being friendly and outgoing to passing you in the street and acting as if they didn't recognise you. Again: hardly open and inclusive, is it?

East Grinstead seems to be a centre for 'alternative' beliefs. I think Channel 4 once did a documentary on it.