Scientists reveal plan to put another dent in Mars

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3977967.stm

The team behind the Beagle 2 mission to Mars has unveiled its design for the successor to the British spacecraft.
At a London meeting, Colin Pillinger, lead scientist on the previous venture, outlined plans for putting a new robotic lab on the Red Planet.

Scientists hope to launch two landing craft from an orbiter that could fly in 2009 as part of Europe's Aurora programme of space exploration.

"This is us putting our cap in the ring," Professor Pillinger commented.
Have you ever thought of leaving the project Professor Pillinger? It might well attract the funding and minds it needs then

Unlike the US rovers, Beagle had no transmitter to report its status during descent.
Now call me old fashioned but.. :roll:

dui-lai said:
Oh well, more funds that could open 15 hospitals will once again cause another crater in mars :roll:
Oh come on D-L, What has the space race ever done for us? Velcro, lithium-ion battery packs, titainium, hospital beds that dont have pressure points etc without the development of these and many other products our lives would be harder.

WhiteHorse said:
dui-lai said:
Oh well, more funds that could open 15 hospitals will once again cause another crater in mars :roll:
Oh come on D-L, What has the space race ever done for us? Velcro, lithium-ion battery packs, titainium, hospital beds that dont have pressure points etc without the development of these and many other products our lives would be harder.
If it has a benefit, then yes! I think it would be money well spent. However, another bloody rover to go where countless others have gone before and the possibility it may go splat too.......that's what makes me think it's all a waste of money :?

What's the martian for 'Do Not Litter'? Those little green men must be mighty pee'd off with the amount of shite we keep sending.

dui-lai said:
WhiteHorse said:
dui-lai said:
If it has a benefit, then yes! I think it would be money well spent. However, another bloody rover to go where countless others have gone before and the possibility it may go splat too.......that's what makes me think it's all a waste of money :?
You have a point

dui-lai said:
I imagine the English of the 16th century were saying that about sending ships to America and India....

20 million UKP would keep a hospital going for a few months, or a light role battalion going for a year.

If the Government had been prepared to provide decent funding in the first place (and the Eurocrats had been less petty) then they wouldn't have to try again.

Actually that sounds like a good definition of most things in ths wretched country. :roll:

Latest Threads