Scientists calculate number of intelligent alien species

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by iamalondoncrab, Feb 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

What? 8O

I'd like to know how they came up with that number.
  2. They took the population of Hollywood and divided it by the average celebrity IQ. :wink:
  3. Obviously out there somewhere, as there is not much intelligent life around where I live. In fact I suspect an alien spaceship may have crashed on the local estate. The occupants wear hoodies and communicate with grunts
  4. Originally they came up with 362, but then they realised their methodological mistake and subtracted Earth.
  5. They started by saying the possibility was somewhere between 'over a million' and 'less than one'..... then guessed. Far to many variables to come up with a number so this report should be taken with a 'pinch of salt'.... about enough salt to clear the snow bound roads of Britain.
  6. I met quite a few alien species; mostly they were above the rank of Major - but very few could really be described as 'intelligent'.

I'll get my belt and beret off..........
  7. I reckon there are 452.....

Probabley has as much scientific thunking as the scientists number.... probably cheaper too.
  8. It's research to try and refine some of the values in the Drake equation:
  9. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

I'd be more impressed if they could find evidence of intelligent life on *this* planet first.
  10. Pointless exercise IMO, a cursory glance reveals that the number 42 is not included, ergo; waste of time.