• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Scientist urges teaching of creationism in schools

The Times said:
Creationism should be taught in science classes as a legitimate point of view, according to the Royal Society, putting the august science body on a collision course with the Government.

The Rev Michael Reiss, a biologist and its director of education, said it was self-defeating to dismiss as wrong or misguided the 10 per cent of pupils who believed in the literal account of God creating the Universe and all living things as related in the Bible or Koran. It would be better, he said, to treat creationism as a world view.

His comments put him at odds with fellow scientists as well as the Government.
... more HERE

my bold, to highlight a result of the present Gubmint's ejukayshunul (shud itt bee 2 enns?) sisstm in a comment shown below on the article :
IF you would be kind enough to ask me science is a mear myth invented by man like clutching at a straw. it seems like the newest form of religion as far as i am concerned. i refrain to use obsenities in my comments but they still do not wish to publish me and why is this i am 18 and studying media!?

GILLY, derby, eastenglnad

Just following the American way. In some States it is illegal to teach the theories of natural selection and evolution. I believe they use many of the posters on this site to prove that neither have taken place.

western said:
Just following the American way. In some States it is illegal to teach the theories of natural selection and evolution. I believe they use many of the posters on this site to prove that neither have taken place.
So true. 8O

I would have no problem with teaching creationism at school as long as it was done side by side with Darwinism, then the kids can make their own minds up, and somehow I cant see them going to believe too much n creationism after they leave kindergarten.

rockape34 said:
The Times said:
Creationism should be taught in science classes as a legitimate point of
IF you would be kind enough to ask me science is a mear myth invented by man like clutching at a straw. it seems like the newest form of religion as far as i am concerned. i refrain to use obsenities in my comments but they still do not wish to publish me and why is this i am 18 and studying media!?

Why is it, as soon as opinion is asked for, all the mongs come out from hiding and assume that we all care what their opinion is?

Surely creationism should be taught during Religious Studies lessons. I'm all for it, personally, maybe it will help children realise just how bl00dy ridiculous an idea it is.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
David Attenborough said:
My response is that when Creationists talk about God creating every individual species as a separate act, they always instance hummingbirds, or orchids, sunflowers and beautiful things. But I tend to think instead of a parasitic worm that is boring through the eye of a boy sitting on the bank of a river in West Africa, [a worm] that's going to make him blind. And [I ask them], 'Are you telling me that the God you believe in, who you also say is an all-merciful God, who cares for each one of us individually, are you saying that God created this worm that can live in no other way than in an innocent child's eyeball? Because that doesn't seem to me to coincide with a God who's full of mercy
Pretty succinct and mirrors my own view on the subject. I'd agree with Bat_Crab though, discuss in RE class and then point and laugh.

WildernessPete said:
So true. 8O

I would have no problem with teaching creationism at school as long as it was done side by side with Darwinism, then the kids can make their own minds up, and somehow I cant see them going to believe too much n creationism after they leave kindergarten.
Couldnt agree more, childeren need a full education and need to see both sides of the argument.

By censoring creationism we are just as bad as the american schools that are overly religous and censor darwanian evolution... they realy squeeze my torpedo!

GINandSHEARS said:
WildernessPete said:
So true. 8O

Couldnt agree more, childeren need a full education and need to see both sides of the argument.

By censoring creationism we are just as bad as the american schools that are overly religous and censor darwanian evolution... they realy squeeze my torpedo!
Yes in an ideal world you would be ok to do this, but do you not think that enough shiite is taught in school as it is and not enough time is left to teach the three r's. Dont confuse kids more, give them a real education, fook knows they will need it.

Creationism is taught in schools... its called RELIGIOUS EDUCATION.

If we're going to teach Creationism in Science then are we also going to teach kids that the world is flat and is the center of the universe, and that it's 10K years old? And that earthquakes are caused by sin? etc, etc...

FFS, get a grip, the proposer of this is also a reverend... hardly biased.

TB

Why is this an either/or argument? Perhaps I had a teacher who got it wrong (though he was a religious minister), perhaps I got it wrong, but, religions among other things teach a way of life. The ‘teaching/lessons are handed down from thousands of years ago. Hence in square one the doctrine was spread by word – story telling/argument/example.

Innate in mankind appears to be a need/desire to believe in a paternalistic super being or beings. A chunk of rock, a tree, the sun, mystical sprit whatever. In other respects our species has the same essential needs of shelter, food and procreation – else they won’t continue. If they are going to be taught a religion and/or converted from whatever they already have, it needs to be in terms they can understand. Of course this necessitates the teacher understanding what they are trying to get over in the first place.

So, thousands of years ago would you expect, assuming the teacher knew and understood evolution, the way to teach would be to lecture on the millions of year’s the planet and its inhabitants took to reach where they were today? Much better to express things in terms the listener could understand and relate to. In other words, work with the existing situation, put your complexion on what already is or perceived to be, and weave in the major factors you want to get across.

Hence, when questioned/advising about creation, the answer needed to be something within the grasp of the teacher and the pupil. Actual technicalities not important, the meaning of the message is.

For Adam and Eve (whoever), take the advent of cognisant mankind, and Eden, apple, etc as illustrations of living the correct way and the perils of not doing so. The various scriptures are full of examples and directives for conducting your life, which IMHO is the ‘message’. I don’t see the problem being with the ‘message’, rather with those who insist the illustrations are irrefutable historical fact.

Teach the ‘message’.

No.9

Well, well, looks like western's view that "I believe they use many of the posters on this site to prove that neither have taken place." may be valid?

But it's probably me failing to convey adequately what I meant, being itself a point I attempted to make. 8O

The 'message' is how to conduct your life, not whether there really was a Mr Adam and a Ms Eve. If it comforts you or you consider it your duty to believe in Mr Adam and Ms Eve, you are totally at liberty to do so. If that stops you killing someone because you feel like it, it's worth while. However, if you want to know more about how the planet and its inhabitants changed throughout millions of years, I suggest referring to science. :wink:

No.9

If he wants it taught in science lessons, fine. Teach how little reason or scientific methodology has gone into the creationist argument. Show them the difference between the effects of thinking your way rationally from A to B, testing your hypotheses against experimental observations of objective reality at every step, and revising them in accordance with any new evidence; and looking up at the sky and going "I reckon...". Show them how this former approach has resulted in electricity, synthetic fibres, vaccination, et al.

Then show them religion. And then demonstrate beyond reasonable doubt ('coz he's talking about science lessons after all) that only religion can result in a code of morality, in ethics, harmony, or a sense of inner peace. Betcha he can't.

I don't give a feck what they teach as long as they tell the kids that God

made the world in six days and on the seventh day, he rested.

I'm fecking fed up with working weekends

Whilst I am very much a ardent God-botherer I must say I don't neccesarily agree with teaching creationism in schools if they're secular. If its a religious school then the school should be free to teach its religion's point of view as well as whatever the curriculum teaches. It's unfair to deprive children of an unbalanced view as this will limit their education and the ability to make up their own mind. As children/teenagers can be quite heavily influenced by what their teachers tell them (Hitler youth et al) it is wrong not to present them with many or varied viewpoints.

However, there should be no obligation to teach creationism at a secular school because had the parents wanted little johnny to have a religious education then they would have sent him to a religious school!

My boarding school was a very strong chritistian school and taught both points of view - I still came out a strong christian but i'm not convinced by creationism! :D

As long as any theory discussed in a science lesson is treated scientifically, that's fine.

There are people out there who treat scientific theories as the absolute truth and that any dissent is tantamount to heresy.

Ninja_Turtle said:
rockape34 said:
The Times said:
Creationism should be taught in science classes as a legitimate point of

Why is it, as soon as opinion is asked for, all the mongs come out from hiding and assume that we all care what their opinion is?
and why is it when people who do give opinions when asked on a "discussion "forum get attacked for giving opinions by those who have none.

Those who give opinions participate those who complain do not.

Do you have an opinion on that?

Latest Threads