Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Science Museum: another good one mucked up...

Fancied a bit of gore today so I trotted up to South Kensington to look at the Wellcome Museum of Gory Surgery And Stuff To Scare Your Kids.

Examples of an operating theatre, Roman medicine, etc etc etc. Top floor of the Museum.

Turns out its now been sanitised and is now on the 2nd or 3rd floor, with almost no gore, lots of machinery etc but the whole atmosphere of the exhibits had been vacuumed out.

I was also sorry to see the lovely agricultural machinery models have gone, complete with the notably beautiful wrought iron that depicted say, people thrashing.

The IWM went all PC crap few years back, now the Science Museum.
A bit like the National Army Museum in Chelsea, more like a kids creche and inter-active learning centre.

One of my biggest disapointments was the National Maritime Musuem in Greenwich. I went there as a kid in the sixties, I was in seventh heaven. Loads and loads of model ships. Nelsons blood stained trousers.

Always wanted to go back. Went there with my lad about 17 years ago. It took about two hours to get there. Other end of the tube, Docklands Light Railway and then a half hour trek on foot.

When I got there - shock - horror. Very very few model ships, Nelsons pants in the dust bin. All the exhibts politically correct and extolling diversity - all very well but I wanted cold steel and a 'Captain can do no wrong who lays his ship along side that of the enemy'.

I remember that there was a big model of HMS Vanguard- the Battleship in the Science Musuem which I used to have wet dreams about.

Are they still doing the 'living exhibit'?

I was there not long after it opened; felt a tap on my shoulder, turned round, there's a Revolutionary War soldier, complete with muddy feet and a 1000 yard stare, telling me how hard it was fighting all that far away... utterly brilliant. Iirc the TV ads had blokes in armour bursting out of display cases.

Sadly not. I'd have been impressed by that

Is Beamish still going? That was a proper Working Museum.

Went there when it was brand new, stopped for Fish n Chips at Scotch Corner, camped on the Moors (VW Combi with folding roof) and remember the sweet shop, the train and the dentists!

I enjoyed the slate museum in wales too.

Only went to the science museum once, IIRC it had a safe for people to try and crack.

Is Beamish still going? That was a proper Working Museum.

Went there when it was brand new, stopped for Fish n Chips at Scotch Corner, camped on the Moors (VW Combi with folding roof) and remember the sweet shop, the train and the dentists!

I enjoyed the slate museum in wales too.

Only went to the science museum once, IIRC it had a safe for people to try and crack.
Beamish is positively thriving. New buildings and exhibits appearing all the time

I felt; this load of old bõllocks has fück all to do with us. What a load of PC pïss.
A once great museum ruined by the woke culture.
Probably in the planning stages to be renamed the museum of white English imperialist oppression. It's English only because everyone knows that the Scots, Welsh and Irish are victims of the English too.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I felt; this load of old bõllocks has fück all to do with us. What a load of PC pïss.
A once great museum ruined by the woke culture.

Agreed. I found the actual content interesting but felt it probably didn't justify the effort it took for me to get out to Salford for it.