Science Museum: another good one mucked up...

Fancied a bit of gore today so I trotted up to South Kensington to look at the Wellcome Museum of Gory Surgery And Stuff To Scare Your Kids.

Examples of an operating theatre, Roman medicine, etc etc etc. Top floor of the Museum.

Turns out its now been sanitised and is now on the 2nd or 3rd floor, with almost no gore, lots of machinery etc but the whole atmosphere of the exhibits had been vacuumed out.

I was also sorry to see the lovely agricultural machinery models have gone, complete with the notably beautiful wrought iron that depicted say, people thrashing.

The IWM went all PC crap few years back, now the Science Museum.

Fancied a bit of gore today so I trotted up to South Kensington to look at the Wellcome Museum of Gory Surgery And Stuff To Scare Your Kids.

Examples of an operating theatre, Roman medicine, etc etc etc. Top floor of the Museum.

Turns out its now been sanitised and is now on the 2nd or 3rd floor, with almost no gore, lots of machinery etc but the whole atmosphere of the exhibits had been vacuumed out.

I was also sorry to see the lovely agricultural machinery models have gone, complete with the notably beautiful wrought iron that depicted say, people thrashing.

I tried IWM North last year. Although the exhibition on Yemen was very interesting, it felt a bit preachy.

Last time I visited the Science Museum, it seemed to be being used as a warm place to park your pram while the rest of your feral brats ran wild...

But they still have this unutterable beauty on display...

20200126_144943.jpg

So sad to hear.

UKTAP

LE
I seem to remember science museums being awesome a couple of decades ago, but go into one now and they all seem to be shrines to the cult of global warming.

About as unscientific as one can get.

JackSofty

Old-Salt
Whenever I go to any museum in Central London, whether for a particular ‘event’ exhibition, general research or just a spot of quiet appreciation of collections, fakking thousands of screaming little b*stards need kicking out out the the way before I can reach the sanctuary of the nearest pub ere I drown in their snot, commit mass infanticide, go utterly bananas or possibly worse. Heaven help any parents who take their anti-social, smelly offspring into the Museum Tavern or any tap room in South Kensington. Aaaaaarghhhh!

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds

Was first taken there on a school visit which induced me to make many return visits, not seen any science museum anywhere that could match it.
I remember the tractors and stuff well, especially the ones that moved in a circle doing whatever the ploughs etc did to the earth and it be being smoothed out for the next circuit- they must have been going round and round for at least half a century.

Was first taken there on a school visit which induced me to make many return visits, not seen any science museum anywhere that could match it.
I remember the tractors and stuff well, especially the ones that moved in a circle doing whatever the ploughs etc did to the earth and it be being smoothed out for the next circuit- they must have been going round and round for at least half a century.
Gone, now...

I tried IWM North last year. Although the exhibition on Yemen was very interesting, it felt a bit preachy.
Are they still doing the 'living exhibit'?

I was there not long after it opened; felt a tap on my shoulder, turned round, there's a Revolutionary War soldier, complete with muddy feet and a 1000 yard stare, telling me how hard it was fighting all that far away... utterly brilliant. Iirc the TV ads had blokes in armour bursting out of display cases.

Quo_vadis

Swinger
The Science Museum is probably my favourite museum in London. I always visit when I'm in town. In recent years, I especially liked the medical innovations in WW1 exhibition, the scientific advances in war exhibition (which basically showed that most of the research for the U.S. nuclear bomb originated from British scientists) and the Turing exhibition.

The old medical museum on the top floor was getting very dated. There were some full scale dioramas, featuring 1970s BHS mannequins, demonstrating various 'modern' medical advances (e.g. a disability driving aid - a Morris 1100 with a ruddy great hoist mounted on the roof). It definitely needed updating.

They do rotate some of the vehicles in the main hall, so you might well see that vintage red Massey hay baler in there on a future visit. Their collection is massive and most of it is stored in hangars at the old RAF Wroughton airfield (also featuring the 'Grand Tour' test track).

Last time I visited the Science Museum, it seemed to be being used as a warm place to park your pram while the rest of your feral brats ran wild...
That's modern teachers for you

par avion

War Hero

A bit like the National Army Museum in Chelsea, more like a kids creche and inter-active learning centre.

One of my biggest disapointments was the National Maritime Musuem in Greenwich. I went there as a kid in the sixties, I was in seventh heaven. Loads and loads of model ships. Nelsons blood stained trousers.

Always wanted to go back. Went there with my lad about 17 years ago. It took about two hours to get there. Other end of the tube, Docklands Light Railway and then a half hour trek on foot.

When I got there - shock - horror. Very very few model ships, Nelsons pants in the dust bin. All the exhibts politically correct and extolling diversity - all very well but I wanted cold steel and a 'Captain can do no wrong who lays his ship along side that of the enemy'.

I remember that there was a big model of HMS Vanguard- the Battleship in the Science Musuem which I used to have wet dreams about.

Latest Threads