Votes: 9 14.5%
  • Don't care

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • No, No, No, thrice No

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Burn the Heretic, I'm an artist.

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
The 'Are you Religious' thread contains several message sequences that address scientific issues. For example, there is a long standing discussion on the nature of colour and further topics have included the 'reality' of mathematics, the LHC, consciousness and space-time. IMO, discussion of these topics suffer from the somewhat partisan nature of the thread and might be better, and more freely, discussed in a more neutral setting.

To this end, I propose that a 'Science' subforum is added to ARRSE under 'Serious Stuff'.

Views?

The 'Are you Religious' thread contains several message sequences that address scientific issues. For example, there is a long standing discussion on the nature of colour and further topics have included the 'reality' of mathematics, the LHC, consciousness and space-time. IMO, discussion of these topics suffer from the somewhat partisan nature of the thread and might be better, and more freely, discussed in a more neutral setting.

To this end, I propose that a 'Science' subforum is added to ARRSE under 'Serious Stuff'.

Views?
I like the idea, gets my vote. :thumleft:

B

Boozy

Being the massive geek I am for that kind of stuff I personally wouldn't mind that kind of subforum.

Yes sounds good, i have already jacked up the perimeter tinfoil defences, so if our ramblings on the ether should attract the attention of any passing craft i will be invisible.

Definitely agree I'd love to have a science sub forum, what grounds are there for the no vote?

DC

Boldnotold

LE
Book Reviewer
I'd be interested, particularly in astronomy.

And if anyone could explain string theory, or why we need to find Higgs' Boson, I'm all ears!

Boldnotold

LE
Book Reviewer
yes.. a science forum... but wait a minute.. big bang, creation, let there be light... what about God ! ? ARRRGH ! this could rumble on for a million pages.

Well, we could lay down some ground rules (or 'assumptions').

Mine has always been 'What caused the BIg Bang?' 'Big G. Get over it and move on to all the lovely science and interesting questions.'

Boldnotold

LE
Book Reviewer
yes.. a science forum... but wait a minute.. big bang, creation, let there be light... what about God ! ? ARRRGH ! this could rumble on for a million pages.
What has God got to do with science? That subject should be for a religion forum or the religion thread. Perhaps we could ban any debate on Providence deraling science threads, or would that make me a heretic?

DC

Boldnotold

LE
Book Reviewer
What has God got to do with science? That subject should be for a religion forum or the religion thread. Perhaps we could ban any debate on Providence deraling science threads, or would that make me a heretic?

DC
No more than Charles Darwin, who managed to believe in God whilst being amongst the foremost scientists of his day.

B

Boozy

DC
If you study the history of modern science it came about from the search for God... some of the greatest scientific discoveries of the past have only occurred because someone was either trying to prove or to disprove the existence of a higher being, searching for things like patterns and design that would back up the notion of a 'Creator' or for evidence that would suggest we merely exist through happy chance. The answer to their question has never been found - God has neither been disproven nor proven. So religion does have a wee bit to do with things relating to science - it's where the roots of the subject lay.

However, I do agree that any subforum discussing science here should be kept separate from religious discussions - science has evolved out of religion (see what I did there :) ) and as such is an entirely separate entity nowadays worthy of it's own separate forum - even the religious scientists of the past for the most part tried to be impartial and set aside their preconceived notions when studying their own particular area in order to be open to new theories and ideas. Any new subforum should take a similar stance.