Science Fiction.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Just what every lost moonbase needs..... someone thats good at antiques.

Hairstyles and costumes aside, a lot of the SFX still hold up today. And a lot don't, tbh. But even so.

Chef

LE
Like in Ready Player One. The book, not the film. Ready Player Two casts a chilling shadow of the potential of where we're heading.
I must say I liked the film and the book. The book was certainly darker.

Top tip is whenever possible see the film first then read the book.

Reason being the film will differ from the book to a large degree, mostly from what's left out:

M*A*S*H film just under 120 minutes, book of the film just under 200 pages.

Christine film 110 minutes. Original King novel 500 odd pages so a lot gets omitted.

Edit for correct number of pages for Christine.

Last edited:
If you want "potential of where we're heading", try Cory Doctorow.

"Little Brother", "Homeland", and "Attack Surface" are all excellent reads on the subject...
Clockwork Orange..... read the book in one sitting, THEN go see the film. (That was about 50 years ago though..... just checked................................................................................................... it was 50 years ago.... bloody hell).

Last edited:

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Clockwork Orange..... read the book in one sitting, THEN go see the film. (That was about 50 years ago though..... just checked................................................................................................... it was 50 years ago.... bloody hell).

some of the locations are still dotted around london - we went for a wander around some of the remaining ones a while back.

that's the theatre at Brunel University where they filmed Alex undergoing the Ludovico treatment. the building they used for the stairway for Alex's block of flats is there as well. the subway where they beat the tramp up is a few minutes walk away from Wandsworth Town tube, and then there's the north end of Chelsea Bridge where Alex is beaten in revenge after his release from prison. the iconic path next to the lake in Thamesmead is gone though. you can see on the picture of the subway wall where the old lights that were present in the film were.

Attachments

• DSC_5554.jpg
    DSC_5554.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC_5607.jpg
    DSC_5607.jpg
    534.2 KB · Views: 9
  • P1030210.jpg
    P1030210.jpg
    496.7 KB · Views: 9
Haven't read that one - but I did read another of his SF novels ("The Moon Goddess and the Son") that IIRC was a fascinating take on how to teach Americans to understand the Russian psyche...
Reading Geta (The UK print).... had to read page one twice! That will put Prue Cremations out of business and the funeral buffet will be lot more substantial.

Anyone got a heads up on Stephen Baxter?

I have never heard of him. He got mentioned in a review of Neal Asher's new book Jack Four, which I was reading prior to downloading it.

Seems to have knocked out quite a few books, all of which bypassed me.

I have never heard of him. He got mentioned in a review of Neal Asher's new book Jack Four, which I was reading prior to downloading it.

I've read quite a few of his books. Not my favourite author. Got some good ideas and develops them well, but I found the characters a bit 2D.

An American author of the 1950's, Alan E Nourse, also dabbled in medical SF.
He seems to be almost forgotten today.

Edit. His "Contamination Crew" short story, of how to deal with an indestructible alien blob on a spaceship that eats everything (metal, plastic, etc.) is quite amusing.

I just downloaded that story and read it. Ingenious ending.

He also wrote a load of books on herpes, AIDS, sexual diseases etc.

And he wrote The Bladerunner but the film only took the name and not the plot. Interesting bloke.

Chef

LE

Wrote 'The long earth' with Terry Pratchett, I read the first one and wasn't inspired by it. Still to find or read the others in the series.

Read a couple of his books. Not shite, but not great either. A not bad way of passing an afternoon.

Reading the debut novel from David Clegg. Enjoying it so far, full review to follow:

Statistics

War Hero
Reading the debut novel from David Clegg. Enjoying it so far, full review to follow:

Thanks Olaf, I was considering this earlier. Will give it a whirl!

Thanks Olaf, I was considering this earlier. Will give it a whirl!
David (the author) is an old mucker. It is a debut novel, and some of that lack of polish comes through, but the story and characters are engaging and enjoyable.

If you are on FB, look him up, send him the cost of book plus postage and he will send a signed copy.

Just read Jack Four, Neal Asher's latest.

Not massively adventurous and strays very little off the beaten path of Polity, Prador, Spatterjay mutations, massive wholesale destruction and endless slaughter. No Jain (for once, had enough of them in the last trilogy).

An enjoyable piece of massively destructive space opera and all makes sense to people aware of his universe but maybe time to stretch out a bit Neal.

Just read Jack Four, Neal Asher's latest.

Not massively adventurous and strays very little off the beaten path of Polity, Prador, Spatterjay mutations, massive wholesale destruction and endless slaughter. No Jain (for once, had enough of them in the last trilogy).

An enjoyable piece of massively destructive space opera and all makes sense to people aware of his universe but maybe time to stretch out a bit Neal.
It looks like Asher is getting bored of the Polity.
He published "Lockdown Tales" recently, several stories in a post- Polity Dark Age, where most of the AIs have evolved off into their own artificial paradises, leaving the humans to muddle on without them.

It looks like Asher is getting bored of the Polity.
He published "Lockdown Tales" recently, several stories in a post- Polity Dark Age, where most of the AIs have evolved off into their own artificial paradises, leaving the humans to muddle on without them.

Thanks for that. It doesn't mention that book on his Wiki page.

Now downloaded.

In the introduction he also mentions two new short stories published elsewhere. Moral Biology and The Bosch, both available online if you look for them.

The former is here: https://www.analogsf.com/assets/6/6/MoralBiology_Asher.pdf

It does indeed look as if he is trying to get beyond the Polity/Prador/Jain/Atheter universe.

Latest Threads