Science Fiction.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Showparade 22.00hrs, show books sized with the tallest on the right, the shortest on the left :)
Have you no style? Books are to be ordered either chronologically or in in order of publication, and grouped by genre, then by author.

By height? Philistine.

Daz

LE
For some cheesy reading Ye Old "Horseclans" series by Robert Adams is always good for a giggle

You'd get more books in, and look an awful lot better if you used an actual bookcase rather than Ikea Kallax storage cubes
Possibly - there's also a pretty much a full second layer of books behind what you can see - so a bookshelf would only hold one layer so I'd need double the shelves/space. I normally have the books organised and stuff on the space in front of them, as said, it's got a bit mucky muck.

Possibly - there's also a pretty much a full second layer of books behind what you can see - so a bookshelf would only hold one layer so I'd need double the shelves/space. I normally have the books organised and stuff on the space in front of them, as said, it's got a bit mucky muck.
Ikea do a deep bookcase, can't remember name, about as deep as kallax. We use them for boardgames, aswell as kallax.

I'll see your Asimov (fnarr) and raise you a shelf and a bit of NEL Heinlein goodness, along with a shedload of Pratchett:

View attachment 552390

Not a mention of Jeheric Carnelian to be found, BTW...
Is that Feintuch's increasingly odd ...Hope series in the middle on the right?

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Is that Feintuch's increasingly odd ...Hope series in the middle on the right?
Good eye. I enjoyed it enough to hang on to the series through a divorce.

Good eye. I enjoyed it enough to hang on to the series through a divorce.
There's supposed to be one final volume... unfortunately Feintuch snuffed it before it could be published and so it will remain forever unreleased.

On the other hand I do hope that the hell Feintuch has been deposited in is one with demonic geography teachers, because I never could figure out where his "Cardiff" and "Devon" were...

Excellent. Here's some more of a Man's shelving:
View attachment 552470

Definition is awful. Need a new camera.

Worry not, we can see the complete set of Aubrey/Maturin, the compulsory Corps purchase of Ted Allbeury (to go with the Hardy Amies dinner jacket, no doubt), some Deighton, and some classics by GMF (I think including the one he dedicated to the guys from his section who were pseudonymed in QSOH), but... it's not double-banked, you're slacking on the purchases ;)

kimmi851

War Hero
Have you no style? Books are to be ordered either chronologically or in in order of publication, and grouped by genre, then by author.

By height? Philistine.
You simplify too much - we have a cunning system involving "by date information is about", "basic and then more detailed genre, with comedy after serious" and then the most complex "of interest to one or both of us" (which is vital for which bookcase they need to be in and in which room)

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Worry not, we can see the complete set of Aubrey/Maturin, the compulsory Corps purchase of Ted Allbeury (to go with the Hardy Amies dinner jacket, no doubt), some Deighton, and some classics by GMF (I think including the one he dedicated to the guys from his section who were pseudonymed in QSOH), but... it's not double-banked, you're slacking on the purchases ;)

This is my collection of GMF's works; as you say, classics:

1614326835378.png

Somewhere in the West Midlands, my copy of The Steel Bonnets cries out for liberation and return to the fold.... The gaps in the Nazi-related shelf below are due to my son covering the Holocaust on his first year at Uni.

You simplify too much - we have a cunning system involving "by date information is about", "basic and then more detailed genre, with comedy after serious"
Like this? This is my "Western Land War" section, starting with Blitzkrieg to Dunkirk, Sealion, Africa etc.

1614327196515.png

and then the most complex "of interest to one or both of us" (which is vital for which bookcase they need to be in and in which room)

I sliced the Gordian knot on this by giving SWMBO free run of the rest of the house, leaving the library and my workshop in my control. Whilst I have lost ground in the workshop (an ever growing "gardening" set of shelves, the tumble dryer, and storage for her bike), the library remains firmly an oestrogen free zone.

Not SF but Asimov's factual books.
It is like having a genial genius talking to you in your living room.
As opposed to John Holmes' factual books.
Which is like having a genital genius talking to you in your living room.

Im plowing through a set of of 8 books.... I'm at book number 8 but Amazon rushed me into an opinion... I gave it it a 2 but I was only on book 6 at the time.......by a miracle could get better...... it didn't.

Chef

LE
Im plowing through a set of of 8 books.... I'm at book number 8 but Amazon rushed me into an opinion... I gave it it a 2 but I was only on book 6 at the time.......by a miracle could get better...... it didn't.
What's the name of the series?

What's the name of the series?
The shadow order...... do not buy........ bit of a disappointing concept....

by previous posts you talk books but don't read any,

Last edited:

Chef

LE
The shadow order...... do not buy.
Thanks for that.

Trouble is it's like a 'wet paint' sign.

I expect they'll crop up in the charity shops.

Chef

LE
Or 8 for 0.99 pounds..... who would fall for that trick?
Not me, I have learned friends who keep me safe from these scams :)