SCIC Criteria

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and looking for advice, our son is in the ACF, up until recently we never had any issue with the ACF and indeed think it's been great. However
recently we have encountered a couple of issues. To cut a long story short, is there an entry criteria to the SCIC course ? My son did very well on JCIC, but has
been told he's not been selected for SCIC, due to limited places and that the selection was done by pulling names out of a hat ???? This is in Scotland.

Thanks

I know in my brigade (Northmost point is Northumbria here) we have to be selected by our county staff. Our county tends to run a 'pre-scic' to check whether you're ready or not.

As far as I'm aware, you have to be 16+ when the course starts and have had to have completed JCIC.

I'm unsure whether it is different per brigade though.

Sent from my A10 using Tapatalk

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and looking for advice, our son is in the ACF, up until recently we never had any issue with the ACF and indeed think it's been great. However
recently we have encountered a couple of issues. To cut a long story short, is there an entry criteria to the SCIC course ? My son did very well on JCIC, but has
been told he's not been selected for SCIC, due to limited places and that the selection was done by pulling names out of a hat ???? This is in Scotland.

Thanks
no relation I'm sure.

just doing jcic isn't the be all and end all.

He must then use, prove and home these skills. Having a sound knowledge of skills up to 2*.

he must be a 3*.

He must be 16.

I'd like to think they haven't done the sorting hat but, perhaps, prioritised older cadets. Bearing in mind 18 is now the arbitrary leaving point. Likewise there could be an individual awaiting their master cadet course.

Encourage him to keep working at it, and ask his dc to find out the dates for the next scic.

no relation I'm sure.

just doing jcic isn't the be all and end all.

He must then use, prove and home these skills. Having a sound knowledge of skills up to 2*.

he must be a 3*.

He must be 16.

I'd like to think they haven't done the sorting hat but, perhaps, prioritised older cadets. Bearing in mind 18 is now the arbitrary leaving point. Likewise there could be an individual awaiting their master cadet course.

Encourage him to keep working at it, and ask his dc to find out the dates for the next scic.

Thanks for the information, he's a three star and nearly 17, this is part of my concern. He was told due to his efforts in JCIC that he would get into SCIC with no issues. Now we've been told the names were picked out of a hat. The next one is March.

The fact that there are a maximum of 40 places per SCIC and the Bns put their bids in generally with a priority doesn't come into it at all, no siree

If the hat pulling stunt was by the Bn to put him forward then that's their call.

Also bear in mind that CCFs are starting, finally to put their cadets through these courses will limit the numbers available.

He doesn't have to do his SCIC in his Bde area either he can go South of the wall to 4 Bde or even further afield, if his Bn want him to

Talon

Old-Salt
The courses have limited places. Also bear in mind that brigades also now run the CLC course, so if your son's brigade ran it last, there will be a lot more applicants this time round as they have to not run the SCIC.

Also, as Boxy says, your son can apply for the SCIC in any brigade he choses. Priority will be given to cadets in the brigade area, but there are usually courses with places somewhere. I'll PM you.

Talon

Old-Salt
CCFs have been able to do it for some time, but on a fill up basis. Priority was always give to Army section cadets.

I guess they need to do it if the MOI cadre doesn't fully cover everything a JCIC + SCIC would, as CCF cadets are now allowed on the Master Cadet course.

CCFs have been able to do it for some time, but on a fill up basis. Priority was always give to Army section cadets.

I guess they need to do it if the MOI cadre doesn't fully cover everything a JCIC + SCIC would, as CCF cadets are now allowed on the Master Cadet course.
That and the CCF use CFIT since the clue is in the name...
We’re running both CLC and the normal SCICs just pushing the SCIC back a bit.

Also SCIC is for those with the aptitudes to be a Senior cadet instructor, not all can... There are lots of other subjects they can do to achieve 4 star

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Boxy ACF 11
SantaSpud ACF 12
1 ACF 1