Sciatica?

Awol

LE
As most of us appear to be past the first flush of youth, with similar high impact histories with regard to our lower limbs, I'm wondering if anyone can identify and possibly advise me on a substantial pain in my upper right leg.

It's on or in the femur, and starts below the hip joint at the back of the leg. It runs from the back of the bone at the top (about where the bottom edge of a rear trouser pocket would be), down the back of the leg and then finishes a couple of inches above the back of the knee, still on or in the femur.

I only appears after I've been walking for about 15 minutes and gets progressively worse as I continue to walk and lasts for about an hour after I stop. Sometimes it flares up in bed, when I haven't changed position for a while.

Pre-empting the logical first question..... yes, I have obviously mentioned it to the docs (two of them actually) and it was kind of shrugged off as "probably sciatica" by both of them any any suggestion of further investigation and treatment being limited to taking pain-killers when required. I have asked Dr Google, and the advice is all over the place so is effectively worthless. There is also the fact it could also be arthritis or rheumatism which complicates matters.

For other reasons I have been less than active over the past year and wonder if it could be a result of that. My current plan is to try and walk through it and see if it gets better, gradually increasing the distance until something improves (or not). I can take pain killers to get me through the daily walks.

One reason behind all this is that I have a lunatic wish to build my health up, and clear my mind, by walking the Coastal Walk around the UK (doss bag and bivvy bag style) for charity, and obviously a good set of pins is some what essential. I don't mind doing it, but it's going to be a tad tricky on my hands and knees.

So, if any helpful Arrser has experienced anything similar and can give any advice, either as to a likely cause for it all, or for any treatment that might be successful, I'd obviously be extremely grateful.

Last edited:

morsk

LE
Youre going to ask anonymous alcoholics rather than go to a Dr? I hope it doesn't turn out to be cock cancer and you don't die horribly, slowly and painfully. If you do though, post videos.

Sounds like sciatica. Unless there are other symptoms above and beyond the shooting pains down your leg, it‘s probably transient and will cure itself. Tinternet is full of stuff to do with improving your core to prevent reoccurrence and ‘flossing’ to relieve the pain. Alternatively, step back in time and don’t go running on concrete with heavy loads and DMS.
edit: mine went away before I got the physio appointment.

If it doesn't go away soon it sounds a lot like a bulged disc

If so get it looked at early, as it may end up in lots of back surgery.

I'm currently on my fourth and hopefully final surgery. As they have now put in rods and cages..

Seriously get it looked at the sooner you can get a definitive diagnosis the better. You will be offered physio, but what that means in NHS terms is a 30 minute consultation and a blurry photocopied series of exercises. If you can afford it see a private physio. Best of luck, it can be a long and painful road to get it fixed.

Or it could just be a dose of bad aids

ugly

LE
Sounds like sciatica. Unless there are other symptoms above and beyond the shooting pains down your leg, it‘s probably transient and will cure itself. Tinternet is full of stuff to do with improving your core to prevent reoccurrence and ‘flossing’ to relieve the pain. Alternatively, step back in time and don’t go running on concrete with heavy loads and DMS.
edit: mine went away before I got the physio appointment.
X2 it’s the only affliction that gets me morphine prescribed and frankly it needs it

You are sweating it too much.
Insist on Girl(s)? on Top for a while.

Seriously, if it's sciatica, it's important to exercise within reason. Too easy to start seizing up out of "pain fear"
Sciatica comes in endless degrees from just annoying to hitting the ceiling.
Yoga works for SWMBO. Tai Chi as well. 5 classes per week just to keep fine-tuned.
But NOT percussive or repetition-strained. Gentle stretching and keeping supple was her answer.
She also ( not that she was fat at all really), worked on getting from size 14 to size 10 again as she was in the '70s. We are both 67 by the way.
Now her BMI is fixed, it's less strain on her general "machinery"
You won't get it rid, but it can be minimised, or controlled to a certain degree.
However, excellent advice form others about getting it checked out.
Regular pain-killer gob-fulls are a slippery slope though.
But please get yourself assessed properly before doing anything.

Last edited:

Motaka

Clanker
I had it bad last year for about 3 months, which is quite long. Normally it goes after 4-6 weeks. The worst thing you can do is " try and walk through it". Rest the affected leg as much as possible, get a massage on it and wait it out.

The worst thing you can do is " try and walk through it". Rest the affected leg as much as possible, get a massage on it and wait it out.
You're definitely not a physio.

They would suggest injured limbs should be deliberately moved as much as possible. The sadists.

Last edited:

Awol

LE
I had it bad last year for about 3 months, which is quite long. Normally it goes after 4-6 weeks. The worst thing you can do is " try and walk through it". Rest the affected leg as much as possible, get a massage on it and wait it out.
I've had it on and off for over a year. As I've said doctors seem disinterested, almost as if saying "you're buggered so here's some codeine"

morsk

LE
You didn't read it, did you?
The first paragraph and said to myself "this wont end well". Then stopped reading

From now on I will listen to you rather than my GP.
My post was aimed more at the sadists in physiotherapy than any medical knowledge ;)

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Jesus. Life sounds like an absolute carnival for you old duffers.

Awol

LE
It sounds like piriformis which is very similar to sciatica and both are a massive pain in the arrse. Absolute nightmare when it hits properly.

Thanks JV, that was something I'd not heard about and it definitely fits the bill. I like the idea that there is a nerve that can be intentionally cut to pretty much cure it. Much better than being on opioids forever.

Thanks.

Go to your Dr . If the you are not seen in 4 weeks. Walk into the Surgery and cause hell.

why am I as an Army veteran .... read the rest for yourself ...

I have found that an inversion table has solved my back, leg and sciatica all that malarkey and if you take some time to think it through it makes sense, no need to thank me just f**k off and buy one.

Thanks JV, that was something I'd not heard about and it definitely fits the bill. I like the idea that there is a nerve that can be intentionally cut to pretty much cure it. Much better than being on opioids forever.

Thanks.
Have a chat to a decent physio. Some simple stretching exercises keeps mine in check most of the time.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
8 Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment 4
O Health and Fitness 12
u_didnt_c_me_i_wasnt_ther Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC 15