Schools in GA Making Mandarin Mandatory

Discussion in 'US' started by Yank_Lurker, Sep 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Some Ga. Schools Make Mandarin Mandatory : NPR

Excellent idea. Americans have gotten used to an English speaking world, but with the economic rise of China and India, Americans are going to need to deal with the world in other languages. Considering the poor economy of this county, kids who pay attention are going to be positioned for well-paying jobs in high demand.
  2. I like that bit!
  3. Most economic trade from China is handled by English speakers. It's very much the language of commerce. In fact, it's been successful for a very long time.

Learning mandarin is hugely complicated - mostly due to the interpretation of tone as you speak the language. Growing up with it will attune you to it, learning it in a classroom won't.

Believe me, learning Mandarin won't make much more of a difference for these kids than had they learned French or German.
  4. We should be doing this first tbh, not the Yanks. Chinese and English are the languages of the future, most of the world seems to speak UK English strangely rather than US. We should get in there and start building business for the future, the way to do that is to teach the kids Mandarin.
  5. Now if you could only get the Neds and Chavs to speak english
  6. Good friend of mine here in the States is a native Swede, and fluent American English speaker. His parents sent him to a school which taught American English vice UK English. When I was in grade school at a US DOD school in Germany, a friend of mine was a Swedish national whose dad paid the DOD to send his kid to our school so he could learn American English.

7. No doubt there's some places that teach US English, I actually think US English is easier to learn too as you don't have the complicated spellings of colour, theatre, metre, harbour, manoeuvrable etc.

However, I've had this discussion on an international forum and was surprised to learn that a chap from the Philippines, which is very much a US area of interest, was taught British English. Most surprising of all was when I spoke to a girl from Argentina of all places and she told me the students in Argentina were obliged to learn British English and study English literature.
  8. Well that's commendably ambitious but I wonder if Spanish might actually be more useful? After all that's an awful lot of Americans first and sometimes only language. Most Americans do business within the US, a very large number never even hold a passport. The way hiring is now in the US a lot of college graduates are going to spend a fair portion of their lives in low wage transient jobs where Spanish is often the working language. They may never encounter a Mandarin speaker. This is a country where the natives are not nearly as bad at learning languages as Brits but folk with three or more ain't exactly growing on trees as they do in some bits of the world.

I see the article points out the Spanish speaking population of Georgia has doubled recently. It will probably be doing that again shortly.