Schools allowance (the rules)

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by jakeblues68, Dec 27, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hope someone can help on this one,

I would like to send my daughter to boarding school this coming year, problem is I am buying a house and will not be in quarters when my daughter starts boarding.
    Is this ok or do i need to be in quarters?
    Also another option is going MU with my wife either staying in quarters or living in our own home, would we still qualify?

Have tried to read JSP but clerks in my pay office aren't much help.
    Any advice appreciated.
    jb68

2. No, in general although there are a few exceptions you will need to start and remain accompanied if you wish to claim CEA. First talk to SCE (you will find their contact numbers on the intranet) get their advice, visit the schools, get a Mobility certificate from your MCM Div, (there is a copy as an Annex to the Chapter of RAAC) and talk to your RAO.

3. Many thanks Paymaster,
    I have tried speaking to my RAO at my current unit but the desk is run by civ types (some ex rankers) who are as helpful as a blind guide dog.

I have spoken to SCE (now with a new name) but they didnt mention a Mobility cert, what does that entail/certify?

BTW, we have chosen a school and it is "on the list".

JB68

4. EDUCATION ALLOWANCE MOBILITY CERTIFICATE

This certificate is to be read and signed immediately prior to the following occassions:
    a. Submission of Initial Claims, or
    b. On change of school, or
    c. The beginning of each new assignment, or
    d. If the current certificate is more than 3 years old at the time a CEA claim is submitted.
    It is to be completed by Service parents claiming CEA and their assignment authority. It is to be produced to those responsible for authorising CEA claims as and when requested.
    PART 1 - TO BE COMPLETED BY THE SERVICE CLAIMANT

Number:…………………… Rank:…………… Name:…………………………………..

Svc/Regt/Corps:…………………………… Current Unit:…………………………………

1. I have read and understand the regulations relating to payment of CEA and I accept:

a. The CEA I am claiming is paid to enable continuity of education for the child(ren) for which I claim.

b. A commitment to family mobility and confirm that when I am assigned I intend to continue to serve accompanied. If I fail to relocate my family on assignment my entitlement to CEA will be reviewed and will normally cease unless I am INVOLSEP or gain exceptional authority to serve unaccompanied and retain the CEA.

c. I will immediately inform my unit HR admin staff of any changes to my personal circumstances that may impact upon my entitlement to claim CEA.

2.* My spouse/civil partner, or child(ren) (for PStat Cat 2), have accompanied me to my new assignment station and our family address is:

………………………………………………………………………………………….

3.* My spouse/civil partner, or child(ren) (for PStat Cat 2), has not accompanied me to my new assignment station because:

Signed ……………………………. Dated …………* Delete paragraph as appropriate.

PART 2 - TO BE SIGNED BY THE ASSIGNMENT AUTHORITY

1.* Number……………….. Rank…………… Name……………………………… has a current liability to be assigned to an accompanied post at least 50 miles from their current duty station within the next 4 years.

or

2.* Because of the nature of the above Service person’s qualifications and projected career pattern, they are unlikely to be posted more than 50 miles from their current duty station for at least 4 years.

Signature:………………………………. Date:…………………………………………..

Name and Rank:……………………………………………………………………………

Appointment:………………………………………………………………………………

* Delete paragraph as appropriate.

5. Which must be signed by your MCM Div

6. You should only get enough for 1 drink and butties!

Oh wrong allowance

7. WoW,
    many thanks guys.

Am i reading between the lines here? It doesnt say it has to be a quarter address, it just has to be within 50 miles from duty station.

8. "Am i reading between the lines here? It doesnt say it has to be a quarter address"

ELIGIBILITY

09.0111. Eligible Service Personnel. A Service person is eligible for CEA in respect of each eligible child provided that all the following criteria are met:

d. They are maintaining a family home at which they would normally reside with their child(ren) when the exigencies of the Services permit.

9. No it doesn't have to be an MQ but IT DOES have to be a Residence at Duty Station (RAS) and unless some very strict criteria are met you must be serving accomapnied.

So if your new home is commutable to your duty station then you will be okay for this posting. PM me if you want.