Schools 1970s v 2000s

#1
Stole this from elsewhere and thought i would share....

They'd be funny if they weren't so true! Sometimes I think PC has gone too far.


Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fight after school.

1974 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up best mates.

2009 - Police are called; Armed Response Unit arrives and arrest Johnny and Mark. Mobiles with video of fight confiscated as evidence. They are charged with assault, ASBOs are taken out and both are suspended even though Johnny started it. Diversionary conferences and parent meetings conducted. Video shown on YouTube.

Scenario: Jeffrey won't sit still in class, disrupts other students.

1974 - Jeffrey is sent to the principal's office and given six of the best. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2009 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. Counselled to death. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADD. School gets extra funding because Jeffrey has a disability. Drops out of school.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbour's car and his Dad gives him the slipper.


1974 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

2009 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. Psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mum has an affair with the psychologist. Psychologist gets a promotion.

Scenario: Mohammed fails high school English.

1974 - Mohammed retakes his exam, passes and goes to college..

2009 - Mohammed's cause is taken up by local human rights group. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that making English a requirement for graduation is racist. Civil Liberties Association files class action lawsuit against state school system and his English teacher. English is banned from core curriculum. Mohammed is given his qualification anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers, puts them in a model plane and blows up an anthill.

1974 - Ants die.

2009 - MI5 and police are called and Johnny is charged with perpetrating acts of terrorism. Teams investigate parents, siblings are removed from the home, computers are confiscated, and Johnny's dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario: Mark falls during break and scrapes his knee. His teacher, Mary, finds him crying, and gives him a hug to comfort him.

1974 - Mark soon feels better and goes back to playing.

2009 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces three years in prison. Mark undergoes five years of therapy. Becomes gay.
 
L

Lizard_Lips

Guest
#2
charliecharlieone said:
Stole this from elsewhere and thought i would share....

They'd be funny if they weren't so true! Sometimes I think PC has gone too far.


Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fight after school.

1974 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up best mates.

2009 - Police are called; Armed Response Unit arrives and arrest Johnny and Mark. Mobiles with video of fight confiscated as evidence. They are charged with assault, ASBOs are taken out and both are suspended even though Johnny started it. Diversionary conferences and parent meetings conducted. Video shown on YouTube.

Scenario: Jeffrey won't sit still in class, disrupts other students.

1974 - Jeffrey is sent to the principal's office and given six of the best. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2009 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. Counselled to death. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADD. School gets extra funding because Jeffrey has a disability. Drops out of school.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbour's car and his Dad gives him the slipper.


1974 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

2009 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. Psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mum has an affair with the psychologist. Psychologist gets a promotion.

Scenario: Mohammed fails high school English.

1974 - Mohammed retakes his exam, passes and goes to college..

2009 - Mohammed's cause is taken up by local human rights group. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that making English a requirement for graduation is racist. Civil Liberties Association files class action lawsuit against state school system and his English teacher. English is banned from core curriculum. Mohammed is given his qualification anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers, puts them in a model plane and blows up an anthill.

1974 - Ants die.

2009 - MI5 and police are called and Johnny is charged with perpetrating acts of terrorism. Teams investigate parents, siblings are removed from the home, computers are confiscated, and Johnny's dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario: Mark falls during break and scrapes his knee. His teacher, Mary, finds him crying, and gives him a hug to comfort him.

1974 - Mark soon feels better and goes back to playing.

2009 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces three years in prison. Mark undergoes five years of therapy. Becomes gay.
It wouldn't be so funny if it wasn't true. This country is fcuked up with all it's priorities in the wrong place
 
#4
I think its easy to assume these things and shout the old ' political correctness gone mad ' line but having been schooled in the 2000's i can honestly say (although obviously exaggerated ) things like this don't happen , its just what people who were schooled in the 70's or whenever want to hear so they can moan and shout the line ^^^ . Id say (in my experience) that all the scenarios except for the disruptive student are bolox and would have been handled in the 1970's way but yes maybe i (and deffo some people i know) would have benifted from 6 of the best , but what do i know
 
#5
skinnyjoe said:
I think its easy to assume these things and shout the old ' political correctness gone mad ' line but having been schooled in the 2000's i can honestly say (although obviously exaggerated ) things like this don't happen , its just what people who were schooled in the 70's or whenever want to hear so they can moan and shout the line ^^^ . Id say (in my experience) that all the scenarios except for the disruptive student are bolox and would have been handled in the 1970's way but yes maybe i (and deffo some people i know) would have benifted from 6 of the best , but what do i know
I hope that was a rhetorical question because, even with my background, I wouldn't know where to start...

A 60s child. :twisted:
 
#6
skinnyjoe said:
I think its easy to assume these things and shout the old ' political correctness gone mad ' line but having been schooled in the 2000's i can honestly say (although obviously exaggerated ) things like this don't happen , its just what people who were schooled in the 70's or whenever want to hear so they can moan and shout the line ^^^ . Id say (in my experience) that all the scenarios except for the disruptive student are bolox and would have been handled in the 1970's way but yes maybe i (and deffo some people i know) would have benifted from 6 of the best , but what do i know
Not sure what you do know, but you appear to be lacking in grammar.
 
#7
That Johnny kid seems to be the worst offender, appearing twice in the list of offences! Kid needs a fekkin' good beating! :twisted:
 
#8
Since the 1970s standards in school education have got better, annually, so government sources assure us. The axiomatic proof is the quality of written English of people educated since especially the late 1980s and the introduction of the National Curriculum.

The consequence is more and more people have more and more certificates in all and sundry. This means we have an all time record number of highly qualified illiterates!

In 1974 little Jonny was taught to read and write and expected to meet high standards. Today little Jonny has the standards lowered to his 'ability' because we would not want his feelings hurt, would we?
 
#9
Yes it was and obviously sarcastic because im afraid i know more about schooling in the 2000's than people that were schooled in the 60's 70's etc (makes sense right ?). Oh and the grammar police knocked and i told them i was typing in a forum and not in an a-level grammar exam. OR8 M8'S ? oh terribly sorry
 
#10
skinnyjoe said:
Yes it was and obviously sarcastic because im afraid i know more about schooling in the 2000's than people that were schooled in the 60's 70's etc (makes sense right ?). Oh and the grammar police knocked and i told them i was typing in a forum and not in an a-level grammar exam. OR8 M8'S ? oh terribly sorry
You may be typing in a forum, but that is no excuse for being a lazy cunt.
 
#12
I have a brother and sister about 20 years younger than me from my Dad's second marriage. The other day I was installing a fence at my house and little brother, now 23 and at University had come around to help.

Poor lad did not even know what a spirit level is and how it works - that is because he was never taught in school. Oh, he can speak and write english very well. He is OK at maths, but can do nothing without a calculator. His science lessons seem to have all been theory, with no practical experimentation or demonstration - Poor sod has never even seen the thermite reaction, which is a major oversight all of its own.

Generally he has not benefitted from the same quality of education that I was lucky enough to receive. Oh - and my teachers really gave a shi't they put in loads of extra time to educate us and they seemed to love their subjects - Mrs B is a teacher, a very very good one, but her staff just look for the next excuse to go longterm sick and the teachers are often scared of the pupils.

1970s education was education for life, modern education is education to get some worthless piece of paper to get 50% of the population into university to do meeeeja studies or sociology (its gotta be good m8 its a fukcin ology innit.........safe). And that is why we have no manufacturing industry to speak of, limited or poor quality apprenticeships, a lack of skilled craftsmen and a society that has an underclass with absolutely no work ethic whatsoever.

oh - and since its the NAAFI ........Maddie, gingers, fcuk, cnut and har har har - snigger
 
#13
#14
Having been in the school system 90-00's, its rare that something like those happen, though the suspension one is a prime one - a mate even got threatened with being expelled after fighting back when he got attacked.

Mad as. Then again, theres better funding on the whole, we've got more technology and tools to use, so i'm not entirely complaining.
 
#15
charliecharlieone said:
bigbird67 said:
given it was posted yesterday, i'm guessing you didn't use the search function??
http://www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=136455.html
Oh im so sorry. Yes you are right you sad feck. Now get a life your boring cnut.
Oi..!!..you 'cnut'..lay off that lovely specimen of womanhood(sigh..!!..is her avatar really her..) 'n' get a life, pref. not cutting 'n' pasting(you should be getting one) other peoples efforts.. :D
 
#16
skinnyjoe said:
Yes it was and obviously sarcastic because im afraid i know more about schooling in the 2000's than people that were schooled in the 60's 70's etc (makes sense right ?). Oh and the grammar police knocked and i told them i was typing in a forum and not in an a-level grammar exam. OR8 M8'S ? oh terribly sorry
You see,that's the difference between being educated in the 60s/70s,and now,we never made assumptions,based on ignorance.
Back then you were expected to be able to spell and use punctuation,and grammar,regardless of which type of exam you were taking,be it History,Geography,yes even Maths,and you were marked down accordingly,for bad spelling,grammar,etc.

You will no doubt come back with something like,why do I need to spell,punctuate,and use grammar,innit?

The fact that foreign students at universities in this country,can read,write and speak English better than students from this country,should be reason enough,don't you think?
 
#17
bah
School in the seventies was for puffs! Now I went in the fifties when we had to walk through 3 miles of snow, as soon as we arrived we were bummed senseless by the gym teacher before receiving 6 lashes of the cane by the headmaster...and that was for doing nothing,you should have seen what we got when we did do something wrong, we then had 14 hours a day of learning our tables(god help you if you sang out of tune) We left school at 11years old to work in the iron foundries,which goes someway to explaing why my spelling and punctuation is shyte.

youngsters today?...puffs the lot of them.
 
#18
ordinaryforces said:
bah
School in the seventies was for puffs! Now I went in the fifties when we had to walk through 3 miles of snow, as soon as we arrived we were bummed senseless by the gym teacher before receiving 6 lashes of the cane by the headmaster...and that was for doing nothing,you should have seen what we got when we did do something wrong, we then had 14 hours a day of learning our tables(god help you if you sang out of tune) We left school at 11years old to work in the iron foundries,which goes someway to explaing why my spelling and punctuation is shyte.

youngsters today?...puffs the lot of them.
Yeah,been there,seen it,done it. :wink:

try F7
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top