Schoolgirls Heading for Syria

Watching newsnight at the moment, there is a chap talking about laws, he has just talked about her potential Bangladeshi citizenship.

With a perfectly straight and serious face he has said that in may be unfair and wrong to suggest she goes to live in Bangladesh as 'the situation in that country is not very nice'.

Perhaps he thinks living within Isis was a bit like being at Centreparks :)
Just seen it, Bangladesh is not good place, look at the elections, like IS had local elections

Just seen it, Bangladesh is not good place, look at the elections, like IS had local elections
I find it it quite hard to understand people like that.
But then always also note that people like him aren't offering to go and get her himself, or let her come and live with him!

I find it it quite hard to understand people like that.
But then always also note that people like him aren't offering to go and get her himself, or let her come and live with him!
she already has a room, with Lily

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Best news Ive heard all day . Now is her father going to leave this country as he said he would if we didnt bring her back ?

Some interesting points made above on the legalities of this development. Some of the online information on Bangladeshi citizenship rules appears contradictory on whether this person actually has citizenship of that country, or is merely entitled to apply for it. It is rightly well established that we cannot, by withdrawing British citizenship, make a person stateless. However, under the British Nationality Act the Secretary of State can deprive such a person of British nationality if he has reasonable grounds for believing that the person is able to become a national of another country.
Listening to some law prof type on radio 4 an hour ago, he stated that she has automatic Bangladeshi citizenship as soon she was born, by dint of her Mother being a Bangladeshi citizen.

Actually having a passport is neither here nor there.

Very fair point. The relevant section of the Act has been substantially revised; I am not sure offhand how significant are the differences from what applied to Al-Jedda. Although it will not make much difference to public opinion here, another complication in the current situation is the existence of the child.
Aye, I realise there has been a law change since Al-Jedda, but as I read in that case, He was an Iraqi citizen, came to the UK lived here for the qualifying time passed whatever tests he had to take and was offered and became a British citizen.

As a result of that, according to Iraqi law, he then loses completely, his right to be an Iraqi citizen.

By removing his British status, the UK GOV fucked it up because that would de facto make him stateless and that's why they lost the appeal. (You'd have thought they would have checked this out first wouldn't you?)

This is totally different to the Bagram girls case.

One small thing bothers me though.

In relation to the older law, as part of the legal proceedings, the person being stripped of citizenship had to be told a number of facts by the Home Secretary. These included that this action was going to happen and there is a right of appeal, amongst other things. Crucially (to me) it also stated that this must be conveyed to that person in writing, (my bold) which clearly is going to be a tad awkward.

It appears that Dad has been given a copy basically saying, on the off chance he sees his daughter can he give her the good news.

It would be a travesty of epic proportions if this tiny detail derailed the procedure, allowing Bangladesh to jump in and also renounce her citizenship (lawfully, dotting the i's and crossing the t's) and thereby stymieing UK GOV once again, because now it would be illegal make her stateless.

That’s just crazy talk. He’s now having a ‘oh shite’ moment, followed by a ‘daughter? who’s got a daughter. No me. Never had one of those’.
Today he is "disappointed and 'We are considering all legal avenues to challenge this decision,' Tomorrow he will disown her to avoid having to pack :dance:

Now she’s no longer a British national...she can one day claim asylum.

Vlad could probably do the British govt a favour here actually...

Latest Threads