• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Schoolgirl loses 'racist school uniform' case

The Muslim girl who went to court because she was told to wear school uniform instead of Islamic ninja kit has lost her case.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3808073.stm

Shabina Begum has been out of her Luton school since September 2002 in a row over her wish to wear an ankle-length jilbab gown.

She said her religious rights and education were being denied.

But the High Court judge said the school's uniform policy was aimed at the proper running of a multi-cultural, multi-faith secular school.
Strictly, Muslims believe that girls should not be educated at all, so this would seem to be a case of having her (halal) cake and eating it.

Apparently she has said that she will not return to the (80% Muslim) school - perhaps she has made alternative arrangements in a less secular society such as Afghanistan, Iran, Saudi Arabia or Yemen, which she will no doubt find much more open-minded and accepting of her wish to flout rules.

Seems a bit off though. If we cater (pun!) for vegetarians in school because of 'fashionable' opinions (I know that many are more serious, but schools will still provide for casual ones), what harm in letting someone wear a long dress for more serious religious ones?

SoftPawn said:
Seems a bit off though. If we cater (pun!) for vegetarians in school because of 'fashionable' opinions (I know that many are more serious, but schools will still provide for casual ones), what harm in letting someone wear a long dress for more serious religious ones?
where would you stop then ?
Sikhs coming into school with knives in their belt
Jianist being carried around in stretchers
Rastafariens wearing big hats and dreadlocks with the drug culture

one problem with "ninja" dress is how do u avoid cheating in exams if you got somebody else to sit in for you
etc ................................

Apparently the long dress is a health and safety hazard, not to mention a fashion faux pas. :)

Islam's poor record on womens' rights is well known, however. In Saudi women may not drive; the Taleban forbade the education of girls and in many areas(including UK), women are sometimes murdered in so-called 'honour killings'.

So, whilst it may be alright to cater for fussy eaters, the line has to be drawn somewhere, or we will be seeing public stonings before long.....

The Koran states that women were only placed on earth to serve men. This can be interpreted (or misinterpreted) in various ways, including that they do not require education. Also, nowhere in the Koran does it state that Muslem women have to wear a veil. What it does say is that they should cover their shame or some such wording.

E

error_unknown

Young lasses in our schools should be running around on the playground and sports field without being covered in swathes of fabric.
Children should also not be allowed to cover their faces up while in schools-
To deprive others of their facial expressions is to restrict their own and others' social development, is anti social and actually just downright rude.

If according to Xmal (above) the Koran states that women were only placed on this world to serve men, well perhaps the Muslim way of life is not so bad after all!!!

E

error_unknown

xmal said:
The Koran states that women were only placed on earth to serve men. This can be interpreted (or misinterpreted) in various ways, including that they do not require education. Also, nowhere in the Koran does it state that Muslem women have to wear a veil. What it does say is that they should cover their shame or some such wording.
There is also teaching in the Jewish and Christian faith that indicates headcovering for women while at prayer. The heart of it is to reflect womans submission to God and man- of course this very thought provokes feelings of outrage in our independant and liberated modern women - but there was actually no intention that women are seen as less than or not equal to men..just different. Unfortunately stupid and wicked men have manipulated what was said for their own purposes for generations.
I am cynical enough to suspect that the Koran has been misinterpreted as has the Old and New Testaments.
We Godless ones are putting women in harms way by sending them to war and allowing them to walk the streets dressed as whores- the moslems are covering them up and limiting and overprotecting them.
Both extremes are wrong IMHO. Just my twopenneth :p

i went to a school with a good percentage of muslims and they used to get time off for one of the festivals. If i had of wanted time off for a christian one im sure it wouldn't have been allowed. they used to play the 'thats racisim' card whenever they liked. I was once called a white cnut by one but if i had called if a muslim cnut i would have been out on my arrse no questions asked. bastards make's you sick!

The ultimate of male interpretation of control of women.....

Shorish-Shamley pointed out that while Afghanistan is a traditional and religious society, the ruling class and mullahs direct religious beliefs through their control over interpretation of the Koran. Afghan society is largely illiterate, so these elites interpret the Koran for their own benefit, she argued. For example, she noted, in the Koran the rights of men and women are presented as equal in every aspect of life. Indeed, many edicts of the prophet stress education for men and women alike, "so the secret lies in educating people" so that they might interpret the Koran for themselves, Shorish-Shamley said.

Women were leaders from the beginning in Islam, she said. For example, the woman who became the prophet Mohammad's first wife was a merchant and 15 years older than he. He was working for her when she proposed to him, Shorish-Shamley said. And, she added, when the prophet was married to his second wife, he always told followers to go to her to learn his tradition as she was so knowledgeable.
http://www.usip.org/peacewatch/2002/4/awomen.html

I take it that even if she had won her case it would have not stopped there, there would have been issues about PT kit and heaven forbid she might even be forced to go to swimming lessons in 'immodest' clothing.
There is a good reason why these women like to show only their eyebrows and ankles!

Moodybitch, I hope when you say English you were actually refering to British???????????????????????????? and it was a typing error? Or are you one who cannot see past the two Borders when it comes to the country we live in and defend! :roll: :roll:

junior_RLC said:
i went to a school with a good percentage of muslims and they used to get time off for one of the festivals. If i had of wanted time off for a christian one im sure it wouldn't have been allowed.
Easter? Christmas? Whit? Or did your school not conform to the standard of British schools taking holidays to match all major christian holidays?

Passed a bunch of school girls this morning, Blonde hair, 6 ft tall, 5 inch shiny black stillettos, and mini skirts that just covered their dignity I couldnt help but but think they were looking for punters. So if a girl cant wear clothes she feels suits her religion why are girls being allowed to go the other way and look like complete mucky spunk trumpets? A uniform is a uniform after all, we should know!

Latest Threads