Schoolgirl branded truent for refusing to dress as Muslim...

More PC madness...seems to me that the girl was quite right in her refusal to dress as muslim if she did'nt want to but the schools reaction was,imho,over the top.

http://express.co.uk

A ROMAN Catholic school’s decision to brand a teenage pupil a truant because she refused to dress as a Muslim and visit a mosque caused fury last night.

Amy Owen, 14, and her classmates were instructed to wear a headscarf, trousers or leggings and cover their arms for the “compulsory” field trip to promote “community cohesion”.

But after she objected and boycotted the outing, she was told her refusal was being treated as non-attendance and it would be marked down as an “unauthorised absence” in the school register.

Her mother Michelle Davies, 34, said yesterday: “I kept Amy off school because I objected to her being ordered to dress like a Muslim girl. She’s been brought up in the Catholic faith and religion. She’s not a Muslim and shouldn’t be told to dress like one.”

Parents of Year 9 pupils at the Ellesmere Port Catholic High School in Cheshire were requested to make a £3-a-head contribution towards the trip to the Al Rahma mosque in Toxteth, Liverpool, last month.

When Ms Davies objected to the dress code, headteacher Peter Lee told her the visit was “as compulsory as a geography field trip”.

And in an official letter, with words in block capitals and underlined, Mr Lee claimed Amy’s absence was likely to reflect badly in the school’s Ofsted rating.

He wrote: “There are two reasons for these visits. One is that the scheme of work in religious studies REQUIRES children to have knowledge and understanding of other world religions.

“The second is that the school is REQUIRED to promote tolerance, respect and understanding. This is known as community cohesion.

“A failure to do this could result in an unwelcome inspection judgment.”

He added: “Whilst I may not require you to pay for this I must require your child to participate.”

Home help Ms Davies accused the school of patronising her by suggesting she could not afford the £3 and said she was furious when she discovered Amy had been pulled out of class and told the trip was compulsory.

She said: “It is as if they are putting a gun to my head – either you go to a mosque or you get an unauthorised absence on your record.

“It’s as if they are saying she is playing truant for not wearing a head scarf. If the trip had been without the leggings and the headscarf, that would have been fine, but I wasn’t having my daughter dressed in the Muslim way.

“I also fail to see how a three-hour trip to a mosque is of any educational value to a Catholic when she can learn about the Muslim faith in the classroom.

“And you can’t tell me a visit to a mosque is going to get the school a better Ofsted rating.”

Nick Seaton. chairman of the Campaign for Real Education, said: “Everyone should respect the religion of others but to expect a pupil to dress up to this extent is extreme to say the least.

“It is ridiculous.”

Mike Judge, spokesman for the Christian Institute, which promotes Christian religion and education in the UK, said: “I’m all for children learning about different religions but to insist someone should dress as a Muslim to visit a mosque and then punish them when they refuse is a disgrace.”

A school spokesman said: “In keeping with accepted good practice we are pleased to provide students with an experience of a visit to a mosque and the chance to question a representative of the community which it serves.”

Good old religion.

Nonsense personified.

ETA: Fk em all.

and,

Nick Seaton. chairman of the Campaign for Real Education, said: “Everyone should respect the religion of others
Sod that too. I will respect nothing without evidence anymore.

Yes it does work both ways. It is all stupidity.

Hmmm... why is Tolerance, Respect and Understanding only a one way street???

A head scarf and leggings, it's hardly a hijab is it!

It's no more than would be expected of women visiting The Vatican or a Buddah in the far east.

The dress code for the trip is not what has made the head lines here, it's all the bandwagon behaviour that has follwed.

It makes me sad to be British.

Duck24 said:

It's no more than would be expected of women visiting The Vatican or a Buddah in the far east.

The dress code for the trip is not what has made the head lines here, it's all the bandwagon behaviour that has follwed.

Would there be a case on a school trip in which Muslims would be expected to adopt Christian practices?

Of course not so why don't you just f*ck off from Britain as you are so sad and hate your own culture so much?

Hmmm, how about going to Islamabad and opening a pub and a C of E church?
Then we could make schoolies go to both as a cultural exchange type thingy, emphasis on the word MAKE.
Thought not, a one way street?
More like a six lane expressway pointed in only one direction.............

Duck24 said:

Oh fk off. Take your religion and poke it. I do not care which religious fkwhitery you believe. Just stop thinking that I should respect it. I do not.

Now if you have any evidence, I would be interested.

In many churches on the continent one is required to wear respectable clothes. So no shorts or singlets for us blokes and no low cut stuff for the wenches.

I don't agree with it, especially as I spend my summer in shorts, singlets and sandals and that is when I can go exploring. Had a blazing row with some dago because I stuck my head round the door of a church to ask a question about visiting, I didn't even enter, and he gave me grief because I had my dog behind me on a lead. Told him that I was disappointed that there weren't any christians there.

Having said that it is their ball and therefore their rules, doesn't the Army have loads of dress regulations especially in the mess? So the fault is not with the mosque but with the programme and the closed minds of both parents and educational authorities. Was the visit valuable educationally? What would it teach? is it simply PC?
And where is the problem about dressing up if it helps you to understand?

InVinoVeritas said:
Duck24 said:

Would there be a case on a school trip in which Muslims would be expected to adopt Christian practices?

Of course not so why don't you just f*ck off from Britain as you are so sad and hate your own culture so much?
The point you seem to miss in your headlong rush to spread your own particular brand of hatred is that Muslim girls would already be perfectly dressed to visit a Catholic Church. Most religious buildings require a degree of modesty from women, it may be old-fashioned but there you go. If they had been visiting Liverpool Catholic Cathedral and she had refused to dress appropriately it wouldn't have been remarked upon, just another chav teenager refusing to conform. This isn't about a full-frontal assault on British Christian values it's about manners. She wasn't asked to adopt anyone's customs she was just asked, for that one visit, to dress appropriately. The British culture is one of religious freedom, tolerance and respect. It is you who clearly hates your own culture You try to dress up your own bigotry in patriotic terms but it is simple base hatred, the refuge of the ignorant.

Dwarf said:
In many churches on the continent one is required to wear respectable clothes. So no shorts or singlets for us blokes and no low cut stuff for the wenches.

I don't agree with it, especially as I spend my summer in shorts, singlets and sandals and that is when I can go exploring. Had a blazing row with some dago because I stuck my head round the door of a church to ask a question about visiting, I didn't even enter, and he gave me grief because I had my dog behind me on a lead. Told him that I was disappointed that there weren't any christians there.

Having said that it is their ball and therefore their rules, doesn't the Army have loads of dress regulations especially in the mess? So the fault is not with the mosque but with the programme and the closed minds of both parents and educational authorities. Was the visit valuable educationally? What would it teach? is it simply PC?
And where is the problem about dressing up if it helps you to understand?
Being ORDERED to attend.. being ORDERED to dress up or be labelled a truant is probaby all the education you need to understand the nature of the beast.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I can't understandhow one girl classed as truant on one day is going to upset the Ofsted ratings. Christ, it's near Liverpool, surely a pupil turning up to school is a Red Letter day there.

harrythebastard said:
Hmmm, how about going to Islamabad and opening a pub and a C of E church?
Then we could make schoolies go to both as a cultural exchange type thingy, emphasis on the word MAKE.
Thought not, a one way street?
More like a six lane expressway pointed in only one direction.............
So what do you suggest? Pupils just pick and choose which lessons they attend? Or perhaps they only attend school at all if they can be bothered.
We are one of the most advanced civilisations of the world, just because another culture shows itself to be narrow-minded does that give us the excuse to sink to their level or do we hold ourselves above all that pettiness?

Duck24 said:

I would not let my kids go nowhere near a mosqe on a visit never mind pay three quid for it or even cover there selves up .It my country and my religion (if i were religeous )The mother did the right thing

Duck24 said:

http://www.guideinitaly.com/vatican-tour-private-guide.html

Dress code is simple. dress as you would in a church, and basically cover your shoulder and knees.
No mention of headscarves, skirts are permitted, as long as they are not above the knee.
Women have died for equal rights in this country, why should women now agree to be subjugated, to appease a precocious minority.

Markintime said:
InVinoVeritas said:
Duck24 said:

The point you seem to miss in your headlong rush to spread your own particular brand of hatred is that Muslim girls would already be perfectly dressed to visit a Catholic Church. Most religious buildings require a degree of modesty from women, it may be old-fashioned but there you go. If they had been visiting Liverpool Catholic Cathedral and she had refused to dress appropriately it wouldn't have been remarked upon, just another chav teenager refusing to conform. This isn't about a full-frontal assault on British Christian values it's about manners. She wasn't asked to adopt anyone's customs she was just asked, for that one visit, to dress appropriately. The British culture is one of religious freedom, tolerance and respect. It is you who clearly hates your own culture You try to dress up your own bigotry in patriotic terms but it is simple base hatred, the refuge of the ignorant.
She wasn't ASKED.. she was ORDERED.. very tolerant indeed.