• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Schoolboys disciplined for refusing to pray to Allah

Absolutely unacceptable; the teacher should be fired.

(although I'm surprised none of the kids thought to shout "durka durka Mohammed jihad!" very loudly)

I am quite happy for discussions of other religions to take place in Religious Education within the schools, but this goes too far in my book.

It is good for children to appreciate that other religions exist and what their beliefs are, but to force it in this way is absolutely wrong, and would lead me to the conclusion that we shouldnt involve our schoolchildren in religious education within the school.

I would rather that our children were taught to read and write properly rather than waste their tme on RE.

Myth and superstition have no place in modern education or society.

msr

msr said:
Myth and superstition have no place in modern education or society.

msr
No but teaching understanding of other peoples beliefs does. We had quite enough on our hands in NI over Catholic and Proddy myth and superstition for example.

However the teacher (and speaking as one) needs a rather large amount of attitude readjustment. Totally unacceptable in her attitudes, explanation of objectives, understanding of children, and sensitivity to their position.

How easy to use that refusal as a start point for discussion on differences in beliefs and why it causes conflict. To simply punish them is to create conflict.
Totally braindead.

("Here" he says surprised, "what's female for tosser?")

What they actually believe is that a cosmic Jewish zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and drink his blood and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in all humans because a woman made from a rib was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree and thereby pissing off an invisible wizard who lives in the sky. Makes perfect sense really.

Deputy headmaster Keith Plant said: "I have spoken to the teacher and she has articulately given me her version of events."
I hope he didn't rise from the English department. Sounds like a Geography master to me.

A spokesman for Cheshire County Council said they were investigating. He added: "The headteacher contacted the authority immediately complaints were received. Enquiries are being made into the circumstances as a matter of urgency and all parents will be informed accordingly.

"Educating children in the beliefs of different faiths is part of Cheshire's diversity curriculum on the basis that knowledge is, of course, is essential to understanding.

"We accept that such teaching has to be conducted with commonsense and sensitivity."
Wah....Must've been absent that day!

Can you imagine the uproar if a little raghead was made to pray to an infidels God? Ji-fucking-had-tastic I'm sure.

The problem with Muslims is not the Muslims but the non Muslim liberal idiots who force the issue on other non Muslims and cry 'racist or biggot' if they are told to fcuk off.

Whiskybreath said:
Deputy headmaster Keith Plant said: "I have spoken to the teacher and she has articulately given me her version of events."
I hope he didn't rise from the English department. Sounds like a Geography master to me.
he sounds o/c gardening department to me.

seriously though nothing suprises me with our p.c. culture these days.very sad state of affairs. :(

bobthedog said:
I'm intrigued as to the religious background of those who refused to pray. If they'd been Hindus, or Buddhists, then I can see the point. My suspicion is that they are badly briefed, 'post-Christians'. In which case the fact that the parents can complain that, '[Allah] is not who they pray to', shows nothing more than the ignorance of the commentator. Since Allah, YWHY and the Christian God are, by definition, one and the same.

Would they have taken the same line if asked to put on kippurs, or the robes of, say, the Dominicans? I blame the RE teachers. Oh, hang on...

I like MSR's thing about the Jewish zombie, but actually what the overwhelming majority of theists believe in is, 'nothing coherent whatsoever', they've never spent any amount of time consciously and seriously considering that which they profess to be the most important thing in their lives. The very hallmark of organised religion is authority over the ignorant and credulous.

Oh dear. If any of the parents have access to a decent lawyer, the two lads will be buying a new X-box out of the compensation...

It would seem (and if Iolis is about he will be able to offer an opinion) that Article 9 of the dear old Human Rights Act has been breached. You have the right not to profess any religion or belief, and praying to any deity counts as professing religion.

The boys have been punished for exercising their right not to profess a religious belief, be it a role play (as claimed) or a genuine act of worship.

I daresay that the kids who participated could claim to have been forced into professing a religious belief contrary to their wishes.

As Flashy says, had there been a member of the Muslim faith in the class, the teacher wouldn't have dared to have made the child participate, for fear of the possible consequences of causing offence, and I bet her PC sensors would've ensured that she wouldn't have embarked on this COA if there'd been a Jewish child in the group (and God/Allah/Other Deity of your choice help her if she has just inflicted this on a Jewish child).

Perhaps the Archbishop of York (a far more sensible chap than Canterbury) could issue a call for a crusade against the head of RE? It'd make her think as the radical wing of the local church's womens group paraded outside the school and threw scones at it, yelling 'frankly we are somewhat irritated by this!'

What I don't understand is: how does praying to Allah help the children learn about the Muslim faith? Studying the Koran or other religious writings makes sense, but participating in ritual teaches them nothing.

Archimedes said:
It would seem (and if Iolis is about he will be able to offer an opinion) that Article 9 of the dear old Human Rights Act has been breached. You have the right not to profess any religion or belief, and praying to any deity counts as professing religion.
Sadly this argument founders on the fundamental and obvious truth that there is no deity to whom to pray in the first place. Storm in a tea cup, would I be offended if someone told me to think nice thoughts to the great green frog in the sky, so that I could better understand the motives of those who are credulous enough to believe in the Supreme Amphibian: no of course not, because it, much like this is manifestly, utter, utter, bollocks.

It isn't.

If there was, show me the evidence.

msr