School to buy washing machine for dirty children..

The stories are diverse, one block lost his legs and nearly his arms because of a ham sandwhich.
I shudder to ask, but - HOW?

And those having to use laundrettes it would get expensive pretty quickly if you have kids being kids, and getting their clothes dirty all the time
I can't even remember the last time a saw a launderette. The one's around here have all been converted into takeaways or bookies.

What concerns me beyond the immediate handful of children who are being looked after by this Primary school, is the nationwide message this sends. Parents are increasingly being absolved of parental responsibility and the fall guys are expected to be the Teachers.
Custom and Practice, widely publicised examples and altruism by staff, real or with one eye on publicity, will translate very quickly in to society holding Teachers responsible for the appearance, hygiene, manners, entertainment, guardianship, diet and well being of the child...totally, financially and morally, nearly 24/7. Rather like basic for the Armed Forces, only without any recourse to discipline.
I'm sure teachers will be delighted and will be comforted by the fact that they'll get the same recompense for the marking and overtime that they do in their own time, as the ironing they'll take home with it...Nowt. Government must be delighted: Far easier for Politicians to flog the willing horse, then deal with the attitudes of large sectors of the populace firing out kids, for money and rights, who otherwise find children cramp their lifestyle. Must not criticise different voting demographics!
What mug would want to be a Teacher with this direction of travel.

Stop making excuses,it comes down to shite parenting.

Growing up late 40's onwards, all washing was done in the sink, hot water came from a large kettle on the gas stove, both my mum and dad worked, going out of the house at about 07:30 every morning, mum getting home about 17:30 every night, Bath night, in front of an electric fire on Sunday night, if I got shitty mucky during the week, stand in a small tin bath in the kitchen, washed all over in cold water and a bar of Fairy soap. My job at a very early age, when I came home from school, light the gas oven and, the stove under the individual saucepans.

Never had toothpaste until I was about 11, Saxa Table Salt and a toothbrush (anyone who knows me will tell you I f*****g hate salt on anything). the first washing machine I used was, when I was posted to Germany in 65.

It takes an effort to send kids to school clean, as has already been said, if some skinny kid in the middle of Africa can go to school clean every day, it doesn't say a lot for parents in this country !

Rant over, where's my Ovaltine ?

Last edited:
They can afford the latest iPhone , tattoos , take away food , food for the staffie , a car, a giant fish tank and 50 in flat screen telly but not a washing machine ?
You take away their cultural heritage if they can't afford the latest iPhone and 160 inch 8k TV to keep up with the latest in UK drill music

He was in France, it had one of those strepohugeameflop bugs in.
That's a bit mundane, I though you were going to say he'd dropped it into a woodchipper.

This is too easy to miss.

"A primary school is considering providing a washing machine for parents who cannot afford to keep their children's clothes clean."

School may get washing machine for pupils

Never mind that many generations have managed to keep their children relatively clean and that it was a point of pride certainly in my grandmother's day that you went out clean and in clean clothes, scrubbed by hand normally.

Fuuuuucking pikey cnuts.

The lack of parental responsibility as usual not touched on by the BBC. cnuts.
1920s my gran had 13 children. One of them often forgot to wash. A teacher bought his uniform. Made him wash and made him take it off at the end of the day. Gran had 2 jobs a bouncer and a shunter. I think it's due to cash not being available from top to bottom these days or lack of caring as to how to get there priorities right

I seem to get by without resorting to using the washing machine too much, these are still going strong after a few weeks of light wear

8D7734BC-0195-4ADC-8661-5C28DA3DE0F7.jpeg

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
We are quite flexible and fit around what the school needs, a workshop is an hour and has an activity for the kids, but we often just give talks and bring out resilience. The stories are diverse, one block lost his legs and nearly his arms because of a ham sandwhich.
So you were eating on the job. I knew there was a reason.

If penniless Africans & Indians can send their kids to school over miles of plain, white shirts and uniforms immaculate, (we have all seen this on TV documentaries) then the average Brit with running water can do the same.

Sink, soap, scrub?

I accept that money is very tight for a number of households, but this is really not like buying caviar.
I remember back in the 60's my old dear and most of the other pad wive's on the patch had no washing machine. The clothes were put in the boiler, scrubbed, put through the wringer and then out on the line. Back in them days a boiler, washboard and clothes mangle were on the inventory of MQ's - washing machines never really made it onto the patch in any numbers until the late 60's/early 70's.

I have seen many a time what you rightly state about Africa and the Far East, kids from outlying areas attending village, or town schools turned out in clean white shirts and pressed shorts, or skirt. Mum having to do the washing in a communal wash house, or similar primitive conditions. Then, they don't have the distractions of satellite TV, the pub, or other such items.

I can't even remember the last time a saw a launderette. The one's around here have all been converted into takeaways or bookies.
My washing machine went tits up just before last Xmas, so a replacement couldn't be delivered for a week or so.
Duly popped down the wishy-washy splishy sploshy gaff with a large holdall of grubby kit which was a pretty standard load for my old machine.
Took two separate machines to wash it-even the big ones only took about a 6lb load at a fiver a pop, dryer was 20p for two feckin minutes...
Add in powder and it wasn't far off £15 for a weeks worth of washing. I know what my new business venture will be.