School Reunions - good idea or not?

L

lumpy2

In an idle moment I searched for a few odd names from the past on Faecebook, chiefly motivated by the fact that I'm a nosy bugger and I'm fascinated by people and what makes them tick.

I now have half a dozen new "friends", none of whom I knew particularly closely and none of whom I have seen for almost 40 years!

They're talking about having a reunion some time soon and whilst I'm intrigued to see how some of them have turned out, I'm now a bit dubious as it was quite an elitist/academic school (I left before 5th form) and I wonder if I'll be a fish out of water. From messages we've exchanged, they seem genuinely friendly and kind.

Anyone else done this? How did it turn out?

my school had a reunion last year I didn't go but my best friend did and told me it was just a group of friends that had drifted apart and comprised of two groups the ones that were jealous of the one that had done alright for themselves and the one who had done alright for themselves lording it up over the other group

Last edited:

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I'd rather discuss politics with whet (when he's awake) than go back and see any of the cnuts I went to school with.

L

lumpy2

Have you been really successful since leaving school? If so, go.
On the other hand, have you been a total f*ck up? Don't go!

The latter, unfortunately. But is that really all it's about, or is that more of a male perspective?

If you do go leave your ARRSE humour at home they just wont get it

In an idle moment I searched for a few odd names from the past on Faecebook, chiefly motivated by the fact that I'm a nosy bugger and I'm fascinated by people and what makes them tick.

I now have half a dozen new "friends", none of whom I knew particularly closely and none of whom I have seen for almost 40 years!

They're talking about having a reunion some time soon and whilst I'm intrigued to see how some of them have turned out, I'm now a bit dubious as it was quite an elitist/academic school (I left before 5th form) and I wonder if I'll be a fish out of water. From messages we've exchanged, they seem genuinely friendly and kind.

Anyone else done this? How did it turn out?
I think Facebook is great for keeping in touch with people. I've lived overseas for over twenty years but it's nice to keep in touch with people you grew up with. I hope to go back on holiday next year and I'm looking forward to seeing old mates.

Also, about a quarter of my primary school class ended up emigrating to Australia and I've met up with a few here. I wouldn't have kept that contact without Facebook.

It's good to know where you come from as it helps shape where you're going.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

XPara Mugg

War Hero
I went to one the year we were all forty. Not a bad night. Pretty much as described above.

I was a scruffy, badly behaved scrote when I was at school and definitely not one of the cool, trendy crowd so didn't think anything of the swapping of numbers and email addresses, and all the "we must stay in touch" bolleaux.

However,over the next five years or so I shagged my way through a fair list of my old classmates (all female before anyone starts!). Including a good few who were waaaay out of my league back in the day and were still pretty well preserved. All from contacts made on the night and almost all from their instigation. Of course it helps if you haven't turned into the fat bloater they married* (and subsequently divorced - I might be a **** but I don't do that).

So, fill your boots.

*Sadly I'm getting there now!!

If its 40 years plus the chances are you won't have anything in common, you'll sit there either boasting or talking shite or not saying anything at all. I'd say forget it unless you like boasting how feckin good your life turned out and how much you now earn! Waste of time and energy, concentrate on your mates you have now

School reunions end up with divorce or sexual assault charges.

Or both.

Or both.

And that's why I will be going to the next one my old school friends run. Having been in the same class as Mrs Rebel at school makes these things less fun than they otherwise might be.:wink:

I went back to a school reunion about 10 years ago. We were all in our 40's and most of us hadn't seen or spoken to each other for over 25 years (pre facebook).
The only guy I had anything in common with was a bloke I only briefly knew at school.
The reason we spent the whole night talking (and drinking) was he had done 22 years in the Royal Navy.
All the "civies" were either so far up themselves or hadn't moved more than 10 miles from their place of birth, so had nothing to contribute.Needless to say nobody got our sense of humour and we both left for the local pub before the night was over!

Or both.
Mine didn't i just did not get caught.
All those years watching people headbutt others must have done me some good.
And those that where up their own arses 40 years ago are still there.

Before attending your reunion:-

Get a job with a hedge fund. Even if it's a job as a cleaner.

Remortgage your house so you can rent a helicopter to arrive in.

Hang about Saville Row until you see a bloke your size coming out of Gieves and Hawkes. Then mug him for his suit.

Spend the whole night talking into your cell phone. Be sure to turn the ringer off as you will be stuffed if it starts ringing while you are pretending to speak to George Osborne, Soros or Bush.

AAGF

RIP
RIP
I left at the beginning of 6th year with a slack handful of As and Os to go to Arborfield as an apprentice and never went back ...

L

lumpy2

Well it's a relief to know I'm not the only one who didn't keep a single schoolfriend after I left!!

I got sent a Facebook link to my "Year 40" school reunion when I was in Leatherneck, a couple of summers ago. Needless to say, my Col didn't rate it highly on the plans matrix.

F**k me rigid. To say that some of the little teen temptresses that I used to burp myself silly thinking about - not when they were looking, I hasten to add - have turned into obese grotters is putting it very mildly. And, as some folk have said before, the "Haven't I done well" gang were pretty bloody obvious, and the "Bitter as f**k because I've never moved away from our home town and I think you need a passport to go to Stirling" gang were equally so.

The other thing I found fairly obvious was the 40-yo-and-still-single-sniffing-after-any-vacant-clunge types.

Stick with the mates you've got now, and if folk from the past want to get in touch, they'll find a way.

I would recommend going. I've been to my 45th school reunion and it is interesting to catch up on who's still alive, etc. All of my close chums from my entourage are dead now except one and that sniveling little cnut didn't show. If I could, I would give him such an Indian burn or such a rap on his melon that he would think twice before disappointing me again. :threaten:

Last edited:

Latest Threads