Scholarships for children of deceased soldiers

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by OldRedCap, Oct 29, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is there aynthing like this for our guys?
    If not, why not?

http://www.freedomalliance.org/view_article.php?a_id=617

2. ORC, It's usually through Regimental and Corps Associations that this sort of thing is provided. I personally know of two cases where children were both put through almost their entire secondary education at public schools after their fathers died in service. I would prefer if it was provided through Government funding, but I think hell will freeze over before that happens.

3. There's no way my lot would even consider such an unselfish act. If there's fack all in it for them, there's fack all in it. Would be a different story if it were there kids.

Good post ORC. I've read it twice.

4. Yes, and has been for quite some time.

There is one in England (Duke of York's Royal Military School) and one in Scotland (Queen Victoria School). Certainly QVS gives first priority to the children of deceased soldiers, I suspect DYRMS does similar.

Both are now "Defence Agencies" of the MoD - you can find them through the Army phone book.

The history of QVS was that it was founded in 1908 by public subscription and Act of Parliament to provide an education for the sons of soldiers killed in the Boer War. The Act has made it virtually impossible for the beancounters to close, which is just as well because they've tried to cut costs a couple of times - apparently QVS is more expensive to run per pupil than Eton, because of the limitations on size...

We had one boy in my year (and others in adjacent years) whose father had died in NI; while I was there, a boy joined whose father had died in the Falklands (nine of the kids at the school had parents deploy there for the war)

5. A great school, Duke of Yorks, had a fantastic time there prior to joining, there was one lad in my year who's dad had been kiled in N.I a couple of years earlier. He'd stayed with his grandparents before being old enough for the school. Not sure what the deal is now regarding this as times have changed, including the intake of girls at the school.

6. It looks like its being turned in to one of those academy's but still taking military kids, the kick in the balls is that local kids in council car get first priority over every other kid.. Im not saying there all bad but surely those kids with family on overseas postings should have priority over sum little sh1t that his/her parents can't control. I know its not as straight forward as that.......

Edit* Duke of York, not sure about the other one