Scholarships for children of deceased soldiers

Is there aynthing like this for our guys?
If not, why not?

http://www.freedomalliance.org/view_article.php?a_id=617
Scholarship Spotlight: Jessica Smith

by Jamie Critchfield

September 15, 2005

Jessica Smith’s father, Sergeant First Class Paul Ray Smith, proudly served his country for fourteen years in the United States Army. While leading three dozen of his men in building a temporary jail in Baghdad, his troops were surprised by a hundred of Saddam Hussein’s Republican Guard. With complete disregard for his own life, Sergeant Smith manned a 50-calibur machine gun to kill as many as 50 enemy soldiers as he protected his men under enemy fire.

His leadership and courage saved the lives of his troops and prevented an attack on a nearby aid station. The death of more than 100 American solders was prevented, until Sergeant Smith took a fatal round to the head. In a letter to his parents but never mailed, Sergeant Smith wrote, “I am prepared give all that I am to ensure all my boys make it home.”

On April 4, 2005, President Bush awarded (posthumously) the Congressional Medal of Honor to Sergeant Paul Ray Smith, a decorated Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom veteran, who is also a Purple Heart and Bronze Star recipient.

As he presented the Medal of Honor -- the highest award for bravery and valor a President can bestow -- President Bush said, “A man has no greater love than to lay down his life for his friends. This is exactly the responsibility Paul Smith believed the Sergeant stripes on his sleeve had given him.”

Today, Sergeant Smith’s daughter, Jessica, is a new Freedom Alliance Scholarship Fund recipient. Jessica, an honors graduate of Ridgewood High School in Port Richey, Florida, is a freshman Forensic Science major at Pasco Hernando Community College. She chose to embark on her college education there so she could be close to home with her Mother and younger brother.

Jessica Smith writes, “Because of the ultimate sacrifice that my father made, I am able to have the life that I know he wanted me to have. I have the chance to go to college and really make something of myself. Although he will not be there to congratulate at graduation, be there for my wedding, or the birth of my children, I know that I will have a life that I can be proud of and in a way thank my father.”

The Freedom Alliance Scholarship Fund exists to honor the great sacrifices made by the men and women of our armed forces and their families. Thanks to the generosity of thousands of American citizens, Freedom Alliance has awarded hundreds of thousands of dollars in scholarship grants to the children of military personnel who have been killed or permanently disabled in the line of duty.

Individual, foundation, and corporate contributions are tax-deductible and are gratefully accepted. To contribute to the Scholarship Fund, click here.

ORC, It's usually through Regimental and Corps Associations that this sort of thing is provided. I personally know of two cases where children were both put through almost their entire secondary education at public schools after their fathers died in service. I would prefer if it was provided through Government funding, but I think hell will freeze over before that happens.

B

Biscuits_AB

There's no way my lot would even consider such an unselfish act. If there's fack all in it for them, there's fack all in it. Would be a different story if it were there kids.

Good post ORC. I've read it twice.

OldRedCap said:
Is there anything like this for our guys?
Yes, and has been for quite some time.

There is one in England (Duke of York's Royal Military School) and one in Scotland (Queen Victoria School). Certainly QVS gives first priority to the children of deceased soldiers, I suspect DYRMS does similar.

Both are now "Defence Agencies" of the MoD - you can find them through the Army phone book.

The history of QVS was that it was founded in 1908 by public subscription and Act of Parliament to provide an education for the sons of soldiers killed in the Boer War. The Act has made it virtually impossible for the beancounters to close, which is just as well because they've tried to cut costs a couple of times - apparently QVS is more expensive to run per pupil than Eton, because of the limitations on size...

We had one boy in my year (and others in adjacent years) whose father had died in NI; while I was there, a boy joined whose father had died in the Falklands (nine of the kids at the school had parents deploy there for the war)

A great school, Duke of Yorks, had a fantastic time there prior to joining, there was one lad in my year who's dad had been kiled in N.I a couple of years earlier. He'd stayed with his grandparents before being old enough for the school. Not sure what the deal is now regarding this as times have changed, including the intake of girls at the school.

pegasus797 said:
Not sure what the deal is now regarding this as times have changed,
It looks like its being turned in to one of those academy's but still taking military kids, the kick in the balls is that local kids in council car get first priority over every other kid.. Im not saying there all bad but surely those kids with family on overseas postings should have priority over sum little sh1t that his/her parents can't control. I know its not as straight forward as that.......

Edit* Duke of York, not sure about the other one

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Officers 43
A Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting 2
2 Officers 10